Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cassette player  (Read 7479 times)

Offline R0nard

• n00b
cassette player
« on: 02:06:04 AM / 22-Nov-10 »
I really want to keep my interior original, just so many childhood memories. Since I have taken hold of it, I've tried to put a Cassette adapter connected to my mp3. The cassette player takes it in but doesn't play back sound. If any one can help me fix this it would be much appreciated.

Facebook Share    

Offline xxstreetbikesxx

Re: cassette player
« Reply #1 on: 08:53:24 AM / 22-Nov-10 »
the cassette player is really old man.. the 80's electronics just break.. I doubt anybodys works.. mine worked for a month when i got my s12, then quit.

Sorry man, but to get it working again, you would need to take it apart, and find the burnt/rusted resistor/diode/wire..
-signature edited as it violates the rules-

Ka24et... Status- Neverending.

Swap Thread:
From Ca20e to Ka24e

Need  Ca20e parts? Click here! Lots of parts for sale!

Selling some Ka and ca parts! check out my for sale thread(S)!

Offline tommy

« Reply #2 on: 10:07:11 AM / 22-Nov-10 »
Mine worked for many years with this exact setup... in fact, it was before mp3 were so popular... so I was using a sony diskman player lolll... but that was between 5 to 8 years ago... I wonder if it's still in working order... where ever that car is now...lol

So, yeah, as ^^^ he says, take it out and open it up to check all the connections, and see if any circuits are burned up... or post in the wanted section to see if anyone has a working one somewhere in a bucket of parts or on the garage floor....
Corolla TE31 1977 (traded)
Corolla KE20 1974 (Project)

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
« Reply #3 on: 02:50:01 PM / 26-Nov-10 »
I really want to keep my interior original, just so many childhood memories. Since I have taken hold of it, I've tried to put a Cassette adapter connected to my mp3. The cassette player takes it in but doesn't play back sound. If any one can help me fix this it would be much appreciated.
Let me see if I understand what you are trying to say here..You got hold of  OEM cassette player and you have one of those cassette line-in adapter but it won't work with your MP3 player?

Now can you get hold of a real cassette tape and see if you can play that first, if it works then it's either the adapter or the MP3 player.

Also, did you press "play" on the cassette player?
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Offline R0nard

• n00b
« Reply #4 on: 01:42:19 PM / 28-Nov-10 »
Let me see if I understand what you are trying to say here..You got hold of  OEM cassette player and you have one of those cassette line-in adapter but it won't work with your MP3 player?

Now can you get hold of a real cassette tape and see if you can play that first, if it works then it's either the adapter or the MP3 player.

Also, did you press "play" on the cassette player?

Yes sir, of course I have tried putting in a regular cassette. i wouldnt be posting if i hadnt. Pressing play? really now? you've mistaken me for a fool hahah

Offline xxstreetbikesxx

« Reply #5 on: 02:37:57 PM / 28-Nov-10 »
lol. hes a newbie, but not a idiot haha. I guess people can forget to press play, idk.

Just upgrade to a nice head unit.. (Whenever you find out how to wire that thing, hit me up) I never found out how to wire in my head unit.. the dash lights would go off, and weird stuff happened..

Swap Thread:
From Ca20e to Ka24e

Offline BOSSMAN

« Reply #6 on: 02:33:54 PM / 29-Nov-10 »
Yes sir, of course I have tried putting in a regular cassette. i wouldnt be posting if i hadnt. Pressing play? really now? you've mistaken me for a fool hahah
I didn't mistake you as a fool, but you could improve your communication skills.  If you look at the profile listed on the column to the left of the screen my "age" listed there is indeed true.  I'm old enough to know what an eight track is let along a someone "modern"  cassette play.  I acquired my S12 in 1990, were you born at that time?  I'm some what familiar with the OEM audio system and I still have the OEM cassette player in my car. 
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....

Offline xxstreetbikesxx

« Reply #7 on: 03:16:04 PM / 29-Nov-10 »
I didn't mistake you as a fool, but you could improve your communication skills.  If you look at the profile listed on the column to the left of the screen my "age" listed there is indeed true.  I'm old enough to know what an eight track is let along a someone "modern"  cassette play.  I acquired my S12 in 1990, were you born at that time?  I'm some what familiar with the OEM audio system and I still have the OEM cassette player in my car. 

not to argue.. but idk what age has to do with pressing play on a cassette player.. chill man.

back on topic..  I would take it apart, and see if any connections are burnt/corroded/disconnected.. But like i said befor, i would just upgrade.

Swap Thread:
From Ca20e to Ka24e

Offline R0nard

• n00b
« Reply #8 on: 09:25:27 PM / 01-Dec-10 »

I mean no disrespect when i said that. I guess the way i said it came out a little harsh sounding. My apologies.

not to argue.. but idk what age has to do with pressing play on a cassette player.. chill man.

back on topic..  I would take it apart, and see if any connections are burnt/corroded/disconnected.. But like i said befor, i would just upgrade.

So far ive taken it out of the dash and cracked it open. Im really suprised at how well my fathers kept this car under great condition but everything on the inside is brown and dusty....doesnt look so good to me hahah. I might take it to my cousin whos an electrical technician, let him check it out before i make my final decision of changing it out. as for upgrading it, ill be lost like a child lost in costco hahah but ill let you know if i figure it out.
« Last Edit: 09:26:15 PM / 01-Dec-10 by R0nard »

Offline BOSSMAN

« Reply #9 on: 10:58:24 PM / 01-Dec-10 »
If the player plays cassette then it's not the player, this is the reason why I asked if you tried a tape in the first place.  I don't know about you but recorded cassette tapes are as common as 5 1/4 inch single sided floppy disk so if you don't have a tape then you won't be able to trouble shoot.  If the player doesn't work the easiest way to test it is to leave it connected to the wiring harness in the car but with the cover off and out of the dash, put a tape in there and see if the motor turns.  Cassette players usually stop working because of broken belts (I fixed a few of those).  When you press play the head should slide towards the tape (or the tape slide to the head?) , this is how the unit reads the "music" but I haven't run into this problem before.   Now before I go on further there is one think I would like to mention, cassette tapes are two sided and if you unit has auto reverse function (like most of the factory units), you can leave the tape in there and it will play the other side of the tape by moving the head and reversing the tape.  However, the cassette adapter only transmit (plays) on one side (bias), so if you have the cassette player playing on the reverse direction you will not hear a thing, to fix this all you have to to is hit the "reverse direction" button then you should be able to play your mp3....More reading regarding cassette player adapter:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-cure-car-cassette-adapter-quotauto-revers/

« Last Edit: 11:03:22 PM / 01-Dec-10 by BOSSMAN »

Offline R0nard

• n00b
« Reply #10 on: 01:29:37 AM / 03-Dec-10 »
If the player plays cassette then it's not the player, this is the reason why I asked if you tried a tape in the first place.  I don't know about you but recorded cassette tapes are as common as 5 1/4 inch single sided floppy disk so if you don't have a tape then you won't be able to trouble shoot.  If the player doesn't work the easiest way to test it is to leave it connected to the wiring harness in the car but with the cover off and out of the dash, put a tape in there and see if the motor turns.  Cassette players usually stop working because of broken belts (I fixed a few of those).  When you press play the head should slide towards the tape (or the tape slide to the head?) , this is how the unit reads the "music" but I haven't run into this problem before.   Now before I go on further there is one think I would like to mention, cassette tapes are two sided and if you unit has auto reverse function (like most of the factory units), you can leave the tape in there and it will play the other side of the tape by moving the head and reversing the tape.  However, the cassette adapter only transmit (plays) on one side (bias), so if you have the cassette player playing on the reverse direction you will not hear a thing, to fix this all you have to to is hit the "reverse direction" button then you should be able to play your mp3....More reading regarding cassette player adapter:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-cure-car-cassette-adapter-quotauto-revers/

Awesome write up, ill be sure to try everything you suggested. Thanks

Offline Alex Hales

• n00b
« Reply #11 on: 05:36:49 AM / 28-Apr-18 »

A debt of gratitude is in order for the data. I am additionally looking a tape connector for my vehicle. I thing, you have as of now a decent ordeal about the tape connector so would you please propose me a best one under $140.

Offline BOSSMAN

« Reply #12 on: 02:44:49 PM / 30-Apr-18 »
The one that I have came with my portable Sony Discman circa 1992.  I don't remember having extreme low volume issue like the reviews on other brands I read online but I think I had to turn the volume up to compensate for the bias.  Depending on what continent you lived in if you can't find one at your local TV/audio outlets you should be able to find one for sale online like Ebay, Amazon or even Aliexpress.

Some light reading here for you:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-car-cassette-adapters-2438354
http://www.halotechnics.com/best-cassette-adapters/
https://mycarneedsthis.com/todays-best-cassette-adapters-with-aux-cords-and-full-reviews/
https://bestseekers.com/best_casette_adapters/

As you can see even now these cassette adapters are still being produced and Sony has a good review.