Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TheShane's SE Build  (Read 8552 times)

Offline silverton

Re: TheShane's SE Build
« Reply #20 on: 11:51:59 PM / 29-Jul-12 »
Solid improvement!  Keep up the good work, she's coming out looking great!
-Dennis

BoostedVG (in regards to people hating on the VG) - Me thinks they were not the mechanic they thought and blamed it all on the engine.

Colonol Gustard - youre one of the few people that represent the s12 chassis like a boss!

Offline anthony92stevens

« Reply #21 on: 08:05:01 PM / 30-Jul-12 »
Dumb question: You went with S13 coilovers right? Pics?

Offline Ju_S12_Turbo

« Reply #22 on: 12:14:19 AM / 31-Jul-12 »
Next time its running my try hitting the ecu lol, sounds funny but its a good test. My is going out and I have to hit it every so often now, still works though!

Offline TheShane

• n00b
« Reply #23 on: 09:52:35 PM / 12-Apr-13 »
UPDATE!

The running issue went away with two tanks of gas uninvited the recommended amount of Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I usually don't do mechanics in a bottle but I figured what the hell.

In other recent events:

Got a new exhaust tip:

Kidding about the exhaust tip...

New wheels for cheap:
I refinished them with stainless steel duplicolor paint

Got some MORE wheels, painted them army green. Ugly ugly Mitsubishi wheels though...

Worst offset ever for this car...they were free though.

New timing belt and radiator. Radiator was for a 1G eclipse, fit amazingly though.

Also got some goodies:
Southbend clutch:

JWT lightweight flywheel:

Yellow fogs since I had to pull the yellow headlights (Kmart and made in japan! Sweetness!)

Spacers for the rear 25mm:

Kinda gay but always wanted a Crown shift boot:

FINALLY got around to doing the front struts and springs.

That's all folks! Hopefully ready to try out my first autox this Sunday in the 12.
1987 200SX SE V6

1978 VW Bus

Offline TheShane

• n00b
« Reply #24 on: 09:16:50 PM / 14-Apr-13 »
Couple pics from the auto-x today:
Pretty much was right on par with the S13 guys with mild suspension setups and street tires that were out today.

"512 RTU" get it? get it? Apparently nobody at the auto-x knew these are S12s:

Also, forgot to mention while I was doing the front struts I purchased the ES S13 front control arm bushings and they were PACKAGED WRONG! So that was going to set me back a few days and I just said screw it and put on the left side so for now the right side is still the stock bushing til I get the wrong ones warrantied out. They sent me 3 of one style and 1 of the other instead of 2 and 2, probably use Prothane from here on out.
1987 200SX SE V6

1978 VW Bus

Offline Jeremy A

• Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
  • S12 Daily Driver
« Reply #25 on: 11:35:27 PM / 14-Apr-13 »
Nice man,  those silver wheels that you painted look really good,  they look good with the silver of your car.  And that is trippy,  "made in japan for kmart"  hahaha. 

Dude,  that is LAME that you got a botched set of prothane LCA bushings,  I just installed a set of those on my car and they made a huge difference. 

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #26 on: 02:42:46 AM / 15-Apr-13 »
damn you made a lot of progress with this project. I don't know how I missed this thread lol. Welcome btw....

Offline EternalSwap

• King of awesome
  • Club-S12 Promoter
  • S12 Guru
  • Technicolor: You can't say no.
    • http://myspace.com/yugodscmaxxer
« Reply #27 on: 05:25:31 PM / 20-Apr-13 »
Gray SE's FTW! Looking good man!
-Alex

EL PENE DE LA MUERTE
Quote from: David B
wow. im horny. i dont know why. but i just figured id let you guys know. i really wanna bite someones bean. i mean. chomp on some ass
hahah Alex just pwned C-S12, w3rd.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #28 on: 05:43:25 PM / 23-Apr-13 »
I didn't know DSM used the same 5x114.3 pattern as us.. I had always assumed they were 5x100. Wow interesting, proof is in the pics tho! The offset is designed for FWD of course, but I like the wheel style and with some spacers I think it would look sweet.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #29 on: 02:27:40 AM / 24-Apr-13 »
Evo 8 rims anyone they are the same 5 lug Pattern....

Offline TheShane

• n00b
Re: TheShane\\\'s SE Build
« Reply #30 on: 09:44:29 AM / 29-Nov-14 »
I'll try and update everything in chronological order here. I have done a lot to the car since I last updated here! It's such a pain in the ass to take and upload photos with my current computer/phone setup. Anyway...

The PO had an engine installed at a Nissan dealer in the 90's, wish I could figure out the history/mileage on it.

Upgraded to a Z31 ECU and MAF after I caught mine on fire:

At some point I also upgraded  to an MSD Digital 6-AL and coil, I'll post pics of that later.

I also installed some hood risers and went to a cars and coffee event:

More to come: LSD install and valve cover painting...

Post Merge
OBX Helical LSD Install:
Its supposedly a Quaife knock-off and a shitty one at that. IF YOU BUY THIS DIFF YOU WILL NEED TO "REBUILD" IT AND REPLACE THE SPACERS INSIDE!!! I had to do this AFTER I had already installed it...

READ THIS FIRST IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING AN OBX: http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm

New Unit:

Old unit:

I had it welded and sucked on the street:

OBX guts:

Broken belleville spacers/washers:

Broken gear in the inside, hairline crack:

Setting up the new diff, checking with prussian blue:

Cleaned up the diff cover while I was at it, need a finned unit from a Z:

So far so good with the OBX unit, just make sure you OPEN IT UP AND CHECK THE WASHERS INSIDE AND REPLACE THEM!!!
Post Merge
Purchased an ASCO ( Acadiana Sports Car Orphanage )  intake manifold spacer (http://store.acadianasportscars.com/in056-0002) and block off plate kit, which I foolishly have no pictures of during the install. I feel like I'm doing them an injustice because they're stuff is amazing and they are great to deal with. Check em out if you haven't http://store.acadianasportscars.com/

Pulled the intake:

Found a bunch of gunk:

Figured while I was this far I might as well pull the valve covers and paint them...

Painted them GOLD!!!
Then baked them in the oven to cure, I'm lucky I'm still married...

Sanded the intake top cover plate, came out VERY nice if I do say so myself:

Final product:
Look at the uncluttered intake with the ASCO delete kit.
« Last Edit: 10:55:27 AM / 29-Nov-14 by TheShane »
1987 200SX SE V6

1978 VW Bus

Offline mc

« Reply #31 on: 10:52:37 AM / 29-Nov-14 »
...looks good!   i plan on going with a OBX after i'm done dicking around with this PhantomGrip...did you have to readjust the shimming of the gears??

Offline TheShane

• n00b
Re: TheShane\'s SE Build
« Reply #32 on: 11:00:47 AM / 29-Nov-14 »
...looks good!   i plan on going with a OBX after i'm done dicking around with this PhantomGrip...did you have to readjust the shimming of the gears??

I had to shim the ring and pinion, which was a pain in the ass. But I also played with the belleville washers to sortof set pre-load on the engagement. I'm pretty happy with it for now, I'd like to play with the washers some more but its just such a pain pulling the whole diff again.

Post Merge

Bought some Z32 TURBO wheels, wasn't positive if they would fit but thought I'd give it a go anyway. ITS LIKE THE REARS WERE MADE FOR S12s! They fit amazingly. The fronts need an 8-10mm spacer to fit which I kinda knew they would going into it.

I found the rears on craigslist and they came with 255/50R16 MickyTs on them which I wasn't planning on using but I'm pretty sure I could have with a small spacer. The sidewall of the tire rubbed just a little bit on the control arm. I'll post pics for proof, I was skeptical.

I plan to run a 245/45R16 on the rear and haven't decided if I'm running 215s or 225s up front. Might have to get a bigger spacer for 225s.

From the Ad:

255s ON THE CAR:

Fronts with NO SPACER and I think 225s:

Threw some 10mm spacers on the front and 25mm spacers on the rear (wouldn't need them if I were running a 245 in the back, 225s looked too skinny without a spacer) and added some used tires I had laying around:
I believe the sizes on the car now are 225/50R16 and 205/55R16:

« Last Edit: 12:56:40 PM / 29-Nov-14 by TheShane »
1987 200SX SE V6

1978 VW Bus

Offline TheShane

• n00b
« Reply #33 on: 09:30:59 PM / 04-Dec-14 »
Well...another belated update. This happened on my way to work on 6-12-14.

I got about 2-3 miles from my house and was just sitting at a stop light and then the idle dropped and the car started to shake and stumble and then POOF a HUGE cloud of WHITE SMOKE came rolling from behind me. I just knew this was the big one, head gasket time. All those times I beat the shit out of the car were coming back to bite me! And I had just bought new wheels and purty-ed up the engine too! So I limped it back home and started  to disassemble it after work.

Look Ma, no hood! Always liked the "no hood" look for some reason.

Pulled the plugs. Number 1 (top right) was soaked in coolant...

My PCV had dumped coolant/water into the intake which seemed odd.

But much to my (semi-pleasant) surprise, I found a DESTROYED lower intake gasket. That was dumping coolant right into the intake.

Cyl #1

I should note I took the opportunity to delete the A/C, replace/upgrade all of the hose clamps that I could, and put on an S13 throttle body.

Unfortunately she stayed just like that for the last few months, I only recently started working on it again. My Nissan broke down on a Thursday and  I was involved in a pretty bad accident on the following Monday. I was driving my cherished and first car to work that morning, a 1978 VW Bus. When some IDIOT decided to blow through a red light and basically hit me head on. I was trapped in my Bus for 45 minutes while they cut me out, I had major trauma to my left leg/foot and as a result had to have it amputated. So I have been out of the S12 for six months now but I started working on it again and I ALMOST have it back together again.

I'm not even sure I'll be able to drive it after all of this. I fully intend to though, I may have to adapt the clutch pedal somewhat but I plan to get back to auto-x and maybe a track day in 2015.
1987 200SX SE V6

1978 VW Bus

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #34 on: 12:30:42 AM / 05-Dec-14 »
Hope your healing and rehab get you back in the S12 soon. Sounds like you have the great attitude to do anything you want despite your injuries.

Offline vegasS12

• http://
« Reply #35 on: 01:20:45 AM / 05-Dec-14 »
I have a set of SE rear pods for sale. If interested

Offline TheShane

• n00b
Re: TheShane's SE Build (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #36 on: 08:09:54 PM / 21-Jul-15 »
*****UPDATE*****

Well, as promised I got my car back together after my accident. I've just been too busy enjoying it to post on here.

Pics, because I know you're only here for the pics.

Going back together:

Damn CHT gave me fits!!! It wasn't even acting up, just thought I would do it as a preventative thing! I guess better to now than later.

First time running again!

Cleaned up the engine bay, relocated the coolant bottle and some other stuff:

RACE RUBBER!!! Got 205/55R16 Front and a whopping 245/45R16 Rear with no fitment issues!!!

Painted the Z32 Turbo wheels, hopefully powder coat them in the future. Just wanted to clean them up for now. It was cold, hence the heater.

Attempted to roll fenders but the rust was causing problems so I ended up just cutting them. Maybe flare them in the future.

Z32 wheel with 205/55 on the front and a 10mm spacer, its close!

Busted its chops at a track day on the new Corvette Track in Bowling Green, KY and got some decals...thoughts?

Did a little weight reduction:

Went to a few Autox events, even got me a trophy at one of them:

Took it to Import Alliance Summer meet in Sparta, KY and got showcase parking. I wasn't worthy...but I'll take it!

Grabbed this pic offline that I saw, don't know the dude in it.

My coolant gauge is pretty much staying here at idle now and It's driving me crazy!!! It get just a smidge past half waywhen cruising....???

Hope you enjoy!

All of this without having to modify my clutch pedal at all! (If you didn't read my above post, I had my left leg amputated below the knee a little over a year ago.)
« Last Edit: 02:04:56 PM / 25-Jul-15 by TheShane »
1987 200SX SE V6

1978 VW Bus