Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Marks S12 Grand Prix  (Read 45229 times)

Offline sunny1600

Re: Marks S12 Grand Prix
« Reply #120 on: 10:03:49 AM / 29-Jun-14 »
After Japfest I received a nice present from an English friend of mine.

Fitted the sticker for those extra horses.

Received a nice letter from the French smurfs.

Had a nismo muffler collecting some dust so time to have the exhaust line welded.

It was needed just a little bit.....

Small piece of the bumper and tow hook needed to be cut away.

The endresult.
Before and after

The piece of the bumper surrounding the tip of the muffler will be adjusted since I am not yet happy with that.

Two vids

http://youtu.be/PU3pHXp3wfE
http://youtu.be/fR7ud9la_iU

Soon I will have the decibels checked because I think it will be too loud. We will fit a freeflow silencer between it somewhere.
Current setup is a 2.5inch stainless steel exhaust line with a nismo muffler.

Also made a key holder
« Last Edit: 01:06:50 PM / 06-Aug-14 by sunny1600 »
Nordschleife laps counter
2009: 4
2010:24
2011: 11

Offline Baby

« Reply #121 on: 04:11:58 PM / 29-Jun-14 »
Damn, you cleaned that up nice!

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #122 on: 02:45:15 PM / 04-Aug-14 »
Yesterday me and Jano went for a spin and took some pics of the silvia.

Something to hang the keys

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #123 on: 05:05:48 AM / 23-Aug-14 »
Last friday I did a compression test with my friend Chris.

We already thought the FJ was not in a very good condition. And we were right.

The spark plugs seem to look fine. Only the spark from cylinder 1 is less black.

Soon we will test it on the dyno to see how many horses it has still left.

Last friday I had a Simons silencer and a small restricted pipe welded in. The smaller diameter piping should help against the noise. Piece of metal from 2.25 inch extended to 2.5 inch and had that welded in after the silencer.
It seems the Fj pulls better again, however that might just be a mental thing.

The exhaust noise is less now.

http://youtu.be/41hOoYs_zuw

And how it was without the silencer.
http://youtu.be/PU3pHXp3wfE

With the silencer I have to watch out with tresholds. Already scraped the silencer a couple of times. Only problem is that it cannot really be higher mounted. The original spot is not available because of the floor pan modification.

Soon mount the S14 front brakes and the car will be ready for the Nurmeet.

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #124 on: 08:35:52 AM / 24-Aug-14 »
I think this is a good place to drop some Grand Prix and FJ goodness

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #125 on: 11:23:51 AM / 19-Sep-14 »
Last weekend 12-14th of september I have been to the annual Nurmeet organised by SXCE.org (German silvia club). It was the most crowded one I have been to yet. Friday morning I installed the tent and at two we where already in Adenau enjoying a hamburger with fries at Bistro Cockpit (prev. Hannes). The atmosphere at Cockpit it not like it used to be but things change...

Friday evening we had a bbq and on saturday a tour through the Eiffel area. Very lovely environment. Sunday I did two laps on the ring. First lap it was foggy, very beautiful to see the ring in a different way.
Sunday evening around 9 I was back home. Exhausted but that needs to happen at such a weekender.

Some pics and other stuff.

At the Nurmeet.

I had a bit of a scary moment. They asked me to rev it so I did manually and the throttle cable came loose from the lever and it went full open.

Result is on the pictures above :D

Overview picture off the meet. It was really crowded. Lots of nice silvias.

At the camping place the Jugendheim

On sunday we went for the ring.

It was quite foggy

Some pics on the ring.

In three days I drove a total of 906 km's. And it was totally worth it!!

Some vids.

Partial first lap of the day. Gopro quit half way.
http://youtu.be/GSMbsSYU8-w
Later I was able to close the file with the gopro Sos function.

http://youtu.be/AdZjQ5cLcGE
Filmed on low quality on a budget cam. Found out later it was not filmed on the desired 1080p mode.

The weekend was awesome again. Next year I hope  to go more times.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #126 on: 11:05:59 PM / 19-Sep-14 »
Wow - wish my speedo went up to 240!!

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #127 on: 11:48:09 PM / 19-Sep-14 »
Nice

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #128 on: 11:23:24 AM / 27-Sep-14 »

Some pictures at a local car meet last Saturday evening.

Picture on the S-Chassis facebook page

Yesterday I had the 12 dynoed by Jonne from Sky Engineering. A Dutch tuning company nearby that specializes in skylines.

The result was less then expected. I expected around 130 bhp.... As soon as there is a budget for it there needs to be a turboed FJ under the hood.

Video off the dyno

http://youtu.be/MsKCJZIdJ9s
The engine is running way too rich. And there came a lot of black smoke out the exhaust.

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #129 on: 03:52:16 PM / 19-Oct-14 »
Today a friend of mine made some pics of the Grand Prix.
Here is a preview

I have made some pics myself. These are the best I made.

Offline pakii-afa

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #130 on: 03:17:22 AM / 21-Oct-14 »
the first 2 pics and the last one are pure calendar pics man, keep it up!

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #131 on: 03:56:51 AM / 26-Nov-14 »
Bought some small upgrades

Solid steering rack made by David Carroll. Explanation of the use. Passenger side solid mount whether RHD or LHD. The stock driver's side mount basically just has to keep the rack from twisting once one of these is installed. It locks the rack down and keeps it from moving side to side. Stock it's a really soft and squishy rubber bushing that doesn't do much when compared to the driver's side. With stock mounts the passenger side does probably 80% of the lateral locating of the rack but the rubber still flexes and lets the rack move some. The solid passenger side mount eliminates all of that movement.These are machined from black Delrin and eliminate ALL lateral movement of the steering rack under turning/cornering loads. Even if your stock rack mounts are in good condition you will be amazed at how much more direct the steering is with one of these installed. A T/C Kit and one of these solid mounts are the first two mods I would do to any S12.

Tension/Compression rod bearing kit made by David Carroll. T/C Kit: I have produced a UHMW / aluminum ball & socket assembly to replace the forward rubber bushing in 510s & Zs for at least 15 years. The 'T/C Kit' as it's known is usually the first handling modification done to any of these cars. It's a cheap, easy way to make a major difference in the handling of the car, especially under heavy braking. What it does is eliminate ALL fore-aft movement of the front wheel under braking and cornering loads. This is done by replacing the forward rubber bushing with a mechanical joint. The rear rubber bushing does not need to be replaced unless it is cracked and at risk of falling out. This is because all the rear bushing does is apply pre-load to the T/C Kit's ball & socket to keep it from rattling. The rear bushing is NEVER compressed further except while braking in reverse, and it handles that just fine.

Keep in mind that the stock two rearward rubber bushings are retained with a T/C Kit. All they really do is preload the ball & socket joint but they do have to be intact enough that they don't fall out! They are compressed slightly when braking in reverse, but otherwise they're only job is keeping tension on the ball & socket. If your bushings are crumbling you should get two new rubber bushings and replace them when you install the T/C Kit. They are cheap from Nissan. You should NOT use polyurethane bushings with the T/C Kit as they are too stiff.

Last month I went for a drive with my friend Stefan. He also has an S12.

Also did a photoshoot with DomasM in Rotterdam.

Every picture are some pictures combined to get this result.

I am waiting on the pictures made by RoyZweers. You will see them pop up later.

This weekend I have the last ride of the year planned for the S12. Afterwards the S12 Grand Prix will be in the garage for the next three months looking like this.

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #132 on: 02:59:32 PM / 08-Jun-15 »
07 Juni 2015
Few upgrades to the S12 Grand Prix, only mounted a solid steering rack made by experimental engineering/ David Caroll. Off course the thread was worn because of some rusty bolt. New thread, new oil and filter and that was it. I still have the S14 4 pot brakes that I should really install on the car, as should the PU bushes from Energy suspension I still have collecting dust.
Not many upgrades, but I have been cruising with the GP. With the Dutch SXOC I went to Japfest at Zandvoort Circuit. I took a German friend from the sxce.org with me and he had a great time.

Some awesome pics

The next weekend was the weekend I was really looking forward to.

ROADTRIP!!!!

Just like last year we decided to go to Japfest 1 Castle Combe in the UK. My buddy Mike and I decided to go a day sooner so we had an extra day to chill at the coast in the Torquay area at my mates Taz place. So we decided to leave really early in the Thursday morning...........
To get in a huge traffic jam at the E34 even before Antwerp. So we decided we went a bit offroading leaving the highway and find ourselves another way.

As to be expected there was a bit of rain. It was England off course!

Around 18h UK time we arrived at my friend Taz which I know from the NPOC. He lives near Torquay at the English coast. Stunning environment, lovely roads and we had great weather. What else can you wish for??? Right! Beers!! And we had a lot off those.

And Full English

Saturdaymornings early departure took us to Castle Combe. We did a premeet with the Primera OC (NPOC). Did some tracktime which was great. I had bought 3 sessions. This year it was devastating warm (well for UK standards that is :P ), so it was a 1000 times better than last year when it was raining cats and dogs. Unfortunately my second sessions was over way to soon due to a red flag. 35 pounds for 5 minutes of driving time.. ouchhh.. expensive session. An EVO had his rear bumper in flames and a honda decided to be a lawn mower. Plus there was an extensive amount of debris on the track. I did found out it is a really fast track, something you notice better when pushing harder on the track.

Spotted some other S12’s on the paddock.

After the event we drove to a hotel nearby Castle Combe. Decided to celebrate a good weekender with a shitload of beers and steak. In the end I did drive 1800 km’s that weekend and also the FJ20 decided to use 2 liters of oil. :P

And a more recent picture of me and my mate Chris with his S13 SR20DET.

Planned short term fun time with the S12 Grand Prix.

27 Juni Tracktime at Zandvoort Circuit
http://vrijrijden.nl/

4th and 5th of July to the Nordschleife / Nurburgring

16th of August tracktime at Rockingham during Japfest 2
http://www.japfest2.co.uk/

If its possible I would also like to go to Zolder Circuit for some laps. Not many updates but the S12 is used for what it was built. Driving it with a big smile, preferably on a track off choice.

And a small video of me at Castle Combe to Finish off.
https://youtu.be/8yFbsTAGrkI

Offline kelso840

« Reply #133 on: 07:06:57 AM / 09-Jun-15 »
That two-tone blue s12 looks really purdy. Oh, and I guess your Blue-Smoke Unicorn doesn't look half bad either.

I'm jealous that you've got tracks to play around on.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Modulus Two

« Reply #134 on: 08:25:26 AM / 09-Jun-15 »
Did I see a blue Turd in there!?

I only wish my S12 looked that good.
Maybe someday, I'll find a good one. I don't think I'll put the effort into the body of mine now.
Kinda like my own body...

Offline sunny1600

« Reply #135 on: 10:18:42 AM / 21-Aug-17 »
Last winter the S12 Grand Prix has been stripped and rebuild cosmetically. The widebody panels have been removed to fix the always present rust on the rear arches (typical GP problem). The right rear panel was the worst and needed to have a new  wheel arch welded in.

After the painting. The car has been painted in two steps. First the whole of the car in white. And a few weeks later the accents in black.

Post Merge
Furthermore fenderbraces have been made and also a fibreglass hoodscoop.
Also fitted are a JDM RS-X grill and an SE fibreglass spoiler to replace the foam ducktail sponge.

All hollow spaces and the underside of the car has been tectyled.

I also put on 25mm spacers on all fours. This is needed for the S14 brakes combined with the Gotti wheels. It also makes the car look better with the extra 25mm each side. Soon the S14 brakes and yellowstuff pads wil be mounted.

After the rebuild in march/april I went to Japfest Silverstone (national layout) and Japfest 2 Donington Park (national layout). Damn Donington is a nice track to drive. Last time I was there was in 2012.

I had some problems with my exhaust studs. One was missing and two broken so I had some exhaust gasses coming out near the 4th cylinder. Engine removed and fitted some helicoils as the the thread was missing. Also I had a cracked manifold. Thankfully I have some spare so that was a quick fix.

Latest project was to build in electrical windows.

And this is how the car appears from time to time.

« Last Edit: 10:27:23 AM / 21-Aug-17 by sunny1600 »

Offline iceageg

« Reply #136 on: 11:29:48 AM / 21-Aug-17 »
God bless you for doing this.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline Nebuchernezzer

« Reply #137 on: 06:32:54 AM / 24-Aug-17 »
Very nice. Shame photobucket killed all the older photos though.

If looks could kill you'd have eyes like cyanide...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/zeruel

Offline kelso840

« Reply #138 on: 09:49:20 AM / 24-Aug-17 »
Please never stop posting photos of this car. Love seeing one living an active lifestyle.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline DjayS12

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan S12
« Reply #139 on: 03:19:51 PM / 25-Aug-17 »
It is really nice to see your clean GP getting love and being used! Keep posting these!