Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VG30DE??  (Read 35338 times)

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
    • TX Special Vehicle Services
Re: VG30DE??
« Reply #20 on: 08:05:36 PM / 20-Jul-11 »
Tommy

I never said it was easy, but a competent machine shop can do it.  Yes I agree 100% that it is absolutely critical to have the work done properly.  Not just any shop is up to the task, and many will not do it just for the liability.  It is an involved process and would prolly negate most folks attempting it.

Right, and considering those factors though and the aftermarket support, I am satisfied with my decision to go with the DE trans.  If you're planning a carbon fiber driveshaft anyway ;) why fret a few dings in the undercarriage so you can get the DE trans in?
Special thanks to Special Vehicle Services in El Paso TX.  Check out http://www.txsvs.com/ for more innovative builds or stop on by and ask them a few questions.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #21 on: 09:22:46 PM / 20-Jul-11 »
I concur with that logic.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline tommy

« Reply #22 on: 02:56:38 PM / 22-Jul-11 »
Tommy

I never said it was easy, but a competent machine shop can do it.  Yes I agree 100% that it is absolutely critical to have the work done properly.  Not just any shop is up to the task, and many will not do it just for the liability.  It is an involved process and would prolly negate most folks attempting it.

I just mentioned it before some lunatic try to do that in his garage with a press drill and a 99$ stick welding pack ;)
« Last Edit: 03:01:13 PM / 22-Jul-11 by tommy »
Corolla TE31 1977 (traded)
Corolla KE20 1974 (Project)

Offline Wolf Dilworth

• http://
« Reply #23 on: 09:46:12 PM / 22-Jul-11 »
I too, will go with the DE tranny when I get to that stage...

Offline boost addict

« Reply #24 on: 12:22:41 PM / 24-Jul-11 »
3rd on retaining the DE trans.  I will be using one or a DETT trans when I get that far.  They are the same trans internally, only differences are for the flywheel size.  As long as you use the matching flywheel for the trans, you will have no issues.  If you use an NA flywheel and a TT trans, you will have to mill down the area where the starter mounts for proper starter engagement.  If you use a TT flywheel and an NA trans, you will have to grind a few spots inside the bellhousing to clear the larger flywheel and also shim the starter out from it's mounting location.  Z1 motorsports and ConcetZperformance, both sell the custom shim for this purpose.

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #25 on: 05:19:59 PM / 24-Jul-11 »
3rd on retaining the DE trans.  I will be using one or a DETT trans when I get that far.  They are the same trans internally, only differences are for the flywheel size.  As long as you use the matching flywheel for the trans, you will have no issues.  If you use an NA flywheel and a TT trans, you will have to mill down the area where the starter mounts for proper starter engagement.  If you use a TT flywheel and an NA trans, you will have to grind a few spots inside the bellhousing to clear the larger flywheel and also shim the starter out from it's mounting location.  Z1 motorsports and ConcetZperformance, both sell the custom shim for this purpose.

Exactly, aftermarket support is THERE for the DE trans just because of the popularity of the z32.  My focus for this vehicle is to show that a good road-course car can be built and ready to race for 1/2 the budget of some of these new, heavier, hulks of vehicles.  Expect a picture dump on this thread in approximately 3 weeks.  I'll try to divvy up what belongs in the motor swap section and what belongs in suspension, however I do intend on briefly explaining my suspension/brake/weight distribution changes HERE purely for the fact that if you're going to consider this swap, you have to ultimately consider the car as a whole.

Preview of the VG30DE powered s12... Coming.  Soon.

« Last Edit: 06:14:51 PM / 25-Jul-11 by radoublely »
Special thanks to Special Vehicle Services in El Paso TX.  Check out http://www.txsvs.com/ for more innovative builds or stop on by and ask them a few questions.

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #26 on: 11:17:30 PM / 24-Jul-11 »
Sorry, but those credentials sound like ass.  LOL

You said that you had fixed the timing, didn't you?

Better vid?

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #27 on: 01:31:02 PM / 25-Jul-11 »
Sorry, but those credentials sound like ass.  LOL

You said that you had fixed the timing, didn't you?

Better vid?

3 weeks.  I have sent a mold of the driveshaft in to be made carbon fiber, we are waiting on delivery of a few parts before the build is complete.  Friday I am leaving somewhere tropical for my honeymoon and upon my return I expect all remaining parts to be delivered.  My internet WILL BE OFF because I will be doing what you're supposed to do on a honeymoon.  3 Weeks, I hope you've enjoyed the preview, any more media release I will be conducting for my s12 will be as a finished product.
« Last Edit: 07:05:00 PM / 25-Jul-11 by radoublely »

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #28 on: 12:17:40 PM / 14-Sep-11 »
3 weeks.  I have sent a mold of the driveshaft in to be made carbon fiber, we are waiting on delivery of a few parts before the build is complete.  Friday I am leaving somewhere tropical for my honeymoon and upon my return I expect all remaining parts to be delivered.  My internet WILL BE OFF because I will be doing what you're supposed to do on a honeymoon.  3 Weeks, I hope you've enjoyed the preview, any more media release I will be conducting for my s12 will be as a finished product.

http://youtu.be/Ctx2rwbaNWw

Offline fyneyoungstunna

• S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan S12
« Reply #29 on: 10:06:32 PM / 12-Dec-11 »
someone turbo d an NA vg30de recently with good results. used stock block and bottom end. pushing 600+ hp.....
I say Do it!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Offline Maxpow

• S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
« Reply #30 on: 10:33:18 PM / 12-Dec-11 »
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Squirrely Drifter") - Totaled and Gone forever
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Weebly Wobbler") - Impounded and Gone forever
2007 Kia Spectra - Fantastic Daily Driver - Custom CAI, NGK wires/plugs.
2002 Hyundai Accent - Totaled and Gone Forever.

MAXPOW'S PARTS SALES: http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=31350.new#new
SEND ME A PMhttp://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2092 /EMAIL Maxpow99@hotmail.com

Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance.

And, I'm going to say this publicly. Maxpow knows how to keep me at bay, while still laughing with him. Take lessons y'all

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #31 on: 05:18:54 AM / 20-Dec-11 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNgLHTYBREI should correct the problem.  The guys at Special Vehicle Services (El Paso, TX) are currently working on paint, roll cage, seats, and tuning while I"m deployed.  I just stopped by to check the forums real quick. 

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #32 on: 12:25:24 AM / 21-Dec-11 »
Looking good, I would have done a few thing differently with the exhaust. 

I understand they were trying to keep the pipes equidistant but that Y was just ugly.

Sounds sweeeeet...

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #33 on: 03:15:21 AM / 24-Dec-11 »
Looking good, I would have done a few thing differently with the exhaust. 

I understand they were trying to keep the pipes equidistant but that Y was just ugly.

Sounds sweeeeet...

Yeah, the Y wasn't the prettiest, but not only did it require being equal length (which could have been done more smoothly), I also personally requested that the exhaust be tucked away as much ass possible (If you note, there are places where a lower exhaust would have looked better because of more space, but been less protected).  Anyway, the 2.5 inch piping did come out well.  Just waiting on brake install and race prep at this point (cage, seat, harnesses), of course, I won't be back for a while but I'm looking forward to working with the car on the track and auto-x. 

Right now, photos are a little behind schedule, but I'm expecting another video.  The lightweigh flywheel REALLY made a difference, at first I didn't think the pedal position was right (back with the vg30e) but the DE on a light flywheel setup rev matches so quickly in the heel-toe that it took just a tap with the heel and you're up to the right RPM for the shift.

A quick note on understeer, it does understeer more than I was hoping for.  This is a suspension issue generally, but I put a heavier motor in the front so we can address it here as well.  I'm going to focus on a carbon fiber hood, the battery has been (track legal) relocated to the rear of the car, and loosen the suspension in the front.  So far, the battery hasn't made a huge difference so when I get back to the US I'll start testing at track days and see what happens (maybe they'll let me run with the hood off later in the day?).

What else... Oh! shroud the air filter and be sure to check all your air sensor thingies! For some reason, turbulant air really messes with the ECU and so either put the filter a distance away from the MAF or shroud it... we found that even blowing on the air filter (if it's too close to the MAF) can screw with the motor... Be wary of fuel systems and wiring on it because the VG30de is a hot running motor (I think I said that already, but it's worth mentioning again).

We plan on setting her on the track for testing fall 2012, attempting a full SCCA regional season 2013, (there are no promises either way).  I would have liked to have driven her more, just to have an idea of what we need to complete this build, basic bolt on's with a vg30de seems to put more than enough power to the ground for the car so it's down to weight balance and suspension (unless I can get a hold of a good head rebuild kit by z motorsports) in which case, it's game on for added power with a goal of 250+ to the rear wheels and total weight of around 2500 lbs.

I'll keep you updated on plans for the build, and continue to bug SVS for photos while I'm deployed... I keep telling him that the more media he sends me the better but he gets distracted, by squirrels (I think he has ADD, which makes him amazing at wiring and building crazy cars, and a little more than interesting when it comes to getting anything else done)

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #34 on: 09:41:50 AM / 24-Dec-11 »
...but he gets distracted, by squirrels (I think he has ADD, which makes him amazing at wiring and building crazy cars, and a little more than interesting when it comes to getting anything else done)

Boy how I can relate to this guy.  ADD is a cruel mistress.

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #35 on: 09:33:36 AM / 25-Dec-11 »
Boy how I can relate to this guy.  ADD is a cruel mistress.

Yeah, he'll sit there all day wiring up a car and not give up on it until two or three hours after he should have gone home... But then, if you're hanging out and a cat walks across the road... It's all over.

Offline fyneyoungstunna

• S12 Guru
« Reply #36 on: 01:12:49 AM / 06-Jan-12 »
if your goal is just 250 to the wheels then dont go with the Z1 built heads and stuff, youll be uselessly throwing money at the NA. just get a good set of STOCK TT heads, a good intake, an ash-spec ecu, some ebay headers (trust me, for the Z they are better than the Megans). There is a CF driveshaft in production for the z32, worth looking into. the z1 upgraded throttle bodies are probably gonna do you some good as well.

to the pcv delete, the fuel reroute, delete the aivi's.
If i read corrrectly, this is an 1990 vg30de? if so, throw out your injectors as they are shit. They will fail and probably soon. get the adapter kit from Z1 and buy "new style" injectors and you will not have to worry about them for years. Also while your in there minus well get viton O-rings. they will outlast your car. Also change out the coilpack connectors your are old and probably crap as well.

"1. You're going to want to NOT buy a used VG30DE from a Junkyard.  Buy the entire setup from a certified JDM motor company.  You can get the motor, transmission, wiring harness and ECU with accessories for about $1,800 shipped and delivered.  http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/contact are the guys I used.

^
That is not a true statement at all. Most of us in the Z community know that the jdm vg30de's are the worse of the lot. there is no difference in the usdm and jdm vg30des so why pay all that money for an engine that is more than likely in the same condition or worse than the one from the local yard?

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #37 on: 01:35:25 AM / 06-Jan-12 »
if your goal is just 250 to the wheels then dont go with the Z1 built heads and stuff, youll be uselessly throwing money at the NA. just get a good set of STOCK TT heads, a good intake, an ash-spec ecu, some ebay headers (trust me, for the Z they are better than the Megans). There is a CF driveshaft in production for the z32, worth looking into. the z1 upgraded throttle bodies are probably gonna do you some good as well.

to the pcv delete, the fuel reroute, delete the aivi's.
If i read corrrectly, this is an 1990 vg30de? if so, throw out your injectors as they are shit. They will fail and probably soon. get the adapter kit from Z1 and buy "new style" injectors and you will not have to worry about them for years. Also while your in there minus well get viton O-rings. they will outlast your car. Also change out the coilpack connectors your are old and probably crap as well.

"1. You're going to want to NOT buy a used VG30DE from a Junkyard.  Buy the entire setup from a certified JDM motor company.  You can get the motor, transmission, wiring harness and ECU with accessories for about $1,800 shipped and delivered.  http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/contact are the guys I used.

^
That is not a true statement at all. Most of us in the Z community know that the jdm vg30de's are the worse of the lot. there is no difference in the usdm and jdm vg30des so why pay all that money for an engine that is more than likely in the same condition or worse than the one from the local yard?

The injectors are being dealt with by using a JWT kit, and we're just going to buy the higher-flow injectors from the same company.

I personally have had bad experiences with Junkyard parts, a low-mileage motor is worth 1,800 with a warranty on it as far as I"m concerned...  You have to be careful not to use a company that leaves their motors sitting too long, but given the choice between a junkyard motor and something with a warranty I'll take the motor with the warranty.  And that 1800 includes the DE trans (which I've explained had better aftermarket support along with the flywheel went right on and I had a custom carbon fiber driveshaft made the z32 won't fit, I know.) wiring harness, and upgraded ECU, and accessories.  Yeah, so I paid for a warranty.

We didn't have to do a EGR delete, the piping is custom and I already have headers on the car....

We do plan on running more than 250 to the wheels at some point.  I want to perfect the handling, and then as time goes by to put more money into the motor.  We're at one thing at a time here.

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #38 on: 02:52:30 AM / 26-Feb-12 »
Wishlist for my car upon return-

stage 3 Head kit by Zmotorsports
 3.3 liter bore w/titanium forged pistons, rods, and crankshaft
 complete engine electric reprogram

for my dream set-up, these are the bits I don't have yet

Super Silhouette style fiberglass wide body kit
 275/45/r16 fronts, 315/45/r17 rears
 Carbon fiber vented hood
 spoiler on spoiler rear wing action
 rear air vents
 front splitter
 lexand scratch resistant coated window replacements/electric window delete

Offline fyneyoungstunna

• S12 Guru
« Reply #39 on: 02:14:28 PM / 05-Mar-12 »
stage 3 heads are gonna be very much overkill. and you might have valve problems.
 TT head with a bore and mild cams, will suffice more than enough for your application.
   Switch to E85 your engine temps and Hp will love you for it. Plus you can set ridiculous timing values on it. your not gonna break 265-70 without a turbo....or 10-15k to throw at built parts.
 But, if you do I will sing praise karaoke style at your first podium event!
« Last Edit: 02:24:23 PM / 05-Mar-12 by fyneyoungstunna »