The guys over at s12silvia.com

Started by Juddez, 03:27:24 AM / 11-Jan-12

Previous topic - Next topic

Juddez

How many of you guys are also members of s12silvia.com ?

So far I have found the forum members VERY unhelpful. After reading through a bunch of the posts in the forums they all seem to just say "Search properly" "have a proper look" "it's all on the site if you search for it"

Well that is fine and dandy but some people dont have the time to spend hours looking through forums to find the information they need. It is so easy to copy and paste a link to point people in the right direction.

I'm so glad I can come back here and people are more than willing to answer my stupid questions and help out with what ever other members need.

Thanks All !!!

iceageg

I recently joined s12silvia as well.  There is a different crowd there with some different ideas.  On the whole I also have found that there is more information here and that it is easier to access.
Quote from: VG33ERGazelle? on 04:50:38 PM / 26-Aug-11
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

CamInHead

It gets tiresome when people peep-up with the same questions all the time, though I won't condone rude behaviour. I don't go on S12S very often but I've not seen anything that bothered me, but is putting in a little effort yourself really so much ?

Xano

Just FYI, I swear we did not pay them to say these things :P
~xano

iceageg

In my brief time there I havn't had any problems with people being rude.  I have just had more luck finding the information I am looking for here than I have there.  Not sure if it is due to differing volumes of content, search engines or the basic layout.  Good info in both if you are willing to dig.
Quote from: VG33ERGazelle? on 04:50:38 PM / 26-Aug-11
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Shark808

Is it safe to say everyone takes their calenders very seriously?

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe -- I believe what I believe is right."

vegasS12

^^  lol
Ive never had any problems over at s12silvia.com in fact they have been very helpful shipping out parts from AU to the US.

Maxpow

We have a huge forum interweb battle between each of the admins of both. Its monthly. Its great. Super Fantastic. And very mature.

Personally I just have a reputation here. I am the best and most loved/hated troll/not-troll so I like to stay where I am known. I like everyone here haven't had a reason to start going to the other site, I don't have a selling rep built up there so its pointless they can come to me I am busy working 60 hour weeks now that don't involve the interwebings so its been hard as of late but I will make a solid resurgence soon.

That being said I do have an account and like 7 posts there. Colin is cool site is well run and well organized.

JCCS 2010 ISN'T THE FRONT PAGE

And they actually are able to make calenders.

That also being said, once you get past making "help me" threads once you have taken every piece of this car apart and all your threads involve getting input on concepts or selling/buying things nobody tells you to search. Its only during times when people are fairly new that this happens because the old reputation of the server has died. There was once a time on this server when it was not posh to post whore. It was simply expected that new members were going to have to lurk and not post threads for at least the first year. With this car falling into a price category that includes first time forum users and first time car owners it was quickly changed into a place that was much more diverse, but with that comes being filled with friendly and unfriendly trolls, lots of help me threads, lots of "noob questions" and etc. Sure you get the idea.

But yeah. Great sites. Welcome.

1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Squirrely Drifter") - Totaled and Gone forever
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Weebly Wobbler") - Impounded and Gone forever
2007 Kia Spectra - Fantastic Daily Driver - Custom CAI, NGK wires/plugs.
2002 Hyundai Accent - Totaled and Gone Forever.

MAXPOW'S PARTS SALES: http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=31350.new#new
SEND ME A PMhttp://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2092 /EMAIL Maxpow99@hotmail.com

Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance.

Quote from: Jay on 10:01:05 PM / 14-Nov-11
And, I'm going to say this publicly. Maxpow knows how to keep me at bay, while still laughing with him. Take lessons y'all

cutter67

i went there first to join to find out more about the S12 in todays world but they would not let me join because of my email address i guess because i got .org at the end  it would not let me join...... so i had to settle for this place :)

Jeremy A

I really like how S12SILVIA looks,  nice layout and colors and such.  I haven't browsed the forums very extensively yet,  but now I am,  why not.

Juddez

Quote from: CamInHead on 03:05:37 PM / 11-Jan-12
It gets tiresome when people peep-up with the same questions all the time, though I won't condone rude behaviour. I don't go on S12S very often but I've not seen anything that bothered me, but is putting in a little effort yourself really so much ?

I understand how it could get tiresome but I have found that people here are just more helpful. When you work full time, have a family waiting for you at home after work and you are trying to build a car you just do not have time to spend hours looking for the information that you need. Thats why I find the people here more appealing. Just more helpful to us newbies. And nicer about it at the same time.

Draconis

Not meaning to be an ass mate, but if you are indeed the same bloke on S12Silvia who goes by the user name of Juddez, then I am not sure what you are talking about. You have two posts on S12Silvia and it was answered without anyone saying what you mentioned.

This is the thread I found just by looking at on the 10th, which is the newest thread in Electrical/Car Audio subforum. So if this is indeed the correct thread you made and the fact you have only two posts on there, then I am confused as to why you have ran into so much resistance. Thread in question: http://s12silvia.com/community/index.php?/topic/8012-ca18det-engine-loom-help-please/page__pid__77978#entry77978

And for all forums you will find people suggesting one to search and the like. If not, they will answer your question with links to threads that answer your thread. No place is immune to that especially if the question is rather basic. But sorry things didnt strike you the way you wished it would be. Best of luck to your build though.

Post Merge: 03:04:46 AM / 12-Jan-12

Quote from: cutter67 on 04:45:43 PM / 11-Jan-12
i went there first to join to find out more about the S12 in todays world but they would not let me join because of my email address i guess because i got .org at the end  it would not let me join...... so i had to settle for this place :)

That's been fixed as of late. It was the old server and setup. Now it's heaps easier to register last I knew. As for the .org thing, well much of those issues stem to protect sites from bots and whatever. No system is perfect but thankfully it's better than before.

Juddez

Quote from: Draconis on 03:00:33 AM / 12-Jan-12
Not meaning to be an ass mate, but if you are indeed the same bloke on S12Silvia who goes by the user name of Juddez, then I am not sure what you are talking about. You have two posts on S12Silvia and it was answered without anyone saying what you mentioned.

This is the thread I found just by looking at on the 10th, which is the newest thread in Electrical/Car Audio subforum. So if this is indeed the correct thread you made and the fact you have only two posts on there, then I am confused as to why you have ran into so much resistance. Thread in question: http://s12silvia.com/community/index.php?/topic/8012-ca18det-engine-loom-help-please/page__pid__77978#entry77978

And for all forums you will find people suggesting one to search and the like. If not, they will answer your question with links to threads that answer your thread. No place is immune to that especially if the question is rather basic. But sorry things didnt strike you the way you wished it would be. Best of luck to your build though.

Post Merge: 03:04:46 AM / 12-Jan-12

That's been fixed as of late. It was the old server and setup. Now it's heaps easier to register last I knew. As for the .org thing, well much of those issues stem to protect sites from bots and whatever. No system is perfect but thankfully it's better than before.

I wasnt talking about my post at all.
Infact, I was going to put a comment on here saying that mine had been answered.
It was when searching through the forums for 3 hours to find other people who were having the same problem as me I came across threads with people just getting told to search. (hence why I posted my own thread)
It was just an observation and I as I have said in here, its very easy to post a link if you have the information instead of just telling people to look harder.

I was not trying to start an inter-forum flame war or anything like that. Just making an observation. As you can see on the tread I posted on s12silvia.com I have said thank you to the people who did answer and help.
I'm not trying to be rude as I appreciate any help I can get with my build.

Arro

Maxpow does have a reputation here, sometimes it's for him being an ass. There's no forum-war. The admin there is Matt, he's a great guy, and an interesting one at that. There is also a dedicated section here on Club-S12 for S12Silvia to update about their blog, which to be perfectly honest was my idea. It's moderated on here by one of S12Silvia's team. So regardless of whatever personal frictions over the past, there is no forum war. They and we have the same goal: supporting the S12.

If there's further talk about shit that isn't happening or forum drama, I'm doing editing or whatever else I need to do.

S12Silvia has helpful people depending on what time of day you check... it's predominantly Australian so most of them are sleeping when the other side of the world is awake. We have more people, from all over the world... there are people around the world on S12Silvia, too, but for whatever reason they seem to be live and online more often here than there, at just about any time of day or night, regardless of where in the world you are. That, combined with the chat window feature means you tend to get answers quicker. It's just how it is, nobody said it was intentional on either case. I still know that if I have to ask some serious Fj20 or RS-X questions, most of the better gurus are over in Australia and usually on S12Silvia on what is for me late night... but I know if I had an SE model, I would rely exclusively on Club-S12. I would have to.

We've been around longer, so there's more info amassed, and the search engine works well... we have put in a lot of work to make sure that topics get put in (or alternatively, moved into) the proper sections, so that when you browse a section in search of information, if it's on this site, chances are you will find it in a reasonable amount of time. That, and the search engine on this software is better... we used to run Invision before (which is what S12Silvia runs I think) but too many people complained at the uselessness of the search engine. This new search engine works fine.

Speaking of which, someone mentioned different looks there versus here. If you go to your settings, there is a "light" version that has white background instead of the default darker one. So you can run either way. No need to complain that you don't like the colors on Club-S12 when there are two completely opposite color themes available to people here.

S12Silvia is more centered around Australians first as a forum, and the blog side of things is centered around enthusiasm. If you keep that in mind, you know what you can get from it, and you shouldn't feel the need to look on them negatively.

As far as our home page... I had planned to do something with it. I didn't give up. I just got tired. I have a REAL life, and so does Xano... between us both, there's work, school, bills, socal life (including ladies lol), and all the other little things like the Holidays, unexpected repairs, speeding tickets, etc. Both Ben and I have worked to make sure that we keep the TECHNICAL side of things here running. It's UP. Always. If it's down, it's for only moments while we fix something, pay the bill we forgot to pay, or wait for the server company to sort out whatever problem they're having. But we make sure Club-S12 is UP and RUNNING nearly ALL the time so that all the valuable tech info and tech support is there ALWAYS, because in the end, you can only showcase so many nice S12's before there are fewer and fewer, and you can only write so many articles... but as long as there is even a handful of people who want to wrench on these cars, we will be up and running, keeping the torch lit, as we have done since the beginning, before anyone else ever did.

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Juddez

Woops. Look what I have started. Sorry guys (and to all over at s12silvia.com) Was just having a vent because I was having a stressful time trying to sort out my wiring. Maybe I should vent off the internet next time ??  :embarrassed2: