Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trans am rims on a s12???  (Read 32477 times)

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Re: Trans am rims on a s12???
« Reply #20 on: 03:25:51 PM / 17-May-11 »
Let me summarize all this crap...

Those wheels you want to run are 5x120, and yes, I agree, they look great. You would need a hubcentric spacer to go from 5x114.3 to 5x120. You can't get those spacers in 4x114.3 to 5x120. I looked into this two years ago for these exact same wheels, from a Formula Firebird.

What is more, when you use spacers that change the bolt pattern, there is a minimum thickness that will work for them. Usually the minimum is THICKER than the minimum for a hubcentric spacer that goes from same pattern to same pattern. This is because it needs to maintain metallurgic integrity between the bores for the studs. So what you are left with is a low offset wheel, which will portrude from your front, and adding to that a 3/4" spacer (approx.) thus shoving the wheel even further outward.

This doesn't take into account that you will have to switch to SE five lug hubs on the front and back, because as I said, I wasn't able to locate 4x114.3 to 5x120... only 5x114.3 to 5x120. So there's a lot of work just to stick out vato-style, for wheels that, while they look nice, they also happen to look like literally a dozen various  mesh knock-off wheels available in both four and five lug 114.3 and in offsets more palatable to our cars.

So the spacer idea is a flop.

Slotting wheels is fucking retarded, and I won't even consider the notion worthy of more comment than this one sentence.

Filling and drilling wheels is largely limited by the design of the wheel, of which MOST (not all) mesh styles do not provide adequate space to do so. This will also sometimes lead to cracking of a wheel, again depending on the style. And again, mesh wheels are not very tolerant to redrilling. Most wheels that get redrilled have a more solid construction to them. Even then, it's a total waste of time and money to make a wheel bolt up that will poke, when there are (again) many mesh knockoff options that look similar (or even the same) as these Firebird wheels.

Further discussion of this is, much like the idea of slotting, retarded.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline blue streak

• http://na
« Last Edit: 08:00:28 PM / 28-May-11 by blue streak »

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #22 on: 01:06:36 AM / 29-May-11 »
Like I said, the wrong bolt pattern.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline blue streak

• http://na
« Reply #23 on: 08:44:35 AM / 29-May-11 »
Yuup, WAY WRONG!

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
« Reply #24 on: 11:24:31 AM / 29-May-11 »
I lol'd a little at this whole thing.
Colin L. - First recorded case of a running, drivable VG33ER swapped S12
In Print, 2/6/2011 - Nico Club
Projects:
-'87 SE-V6, VG33ER Swapped
-Daily Driven S14K
-Graduate college at some point

What I lack in decorum, I make up for in absence of tact.
i has sweet coilovers and hoshinos, also my hood isnt pregnant with a supercharger baby.

Offline firefox

« Reply #25 on: 07:59:34 AM / 01-Jun-11 »
i have an 83 firebird...  its 5 x 4.75

but a gm 4x115 will work on an s12..  the gm lugs are bigger then ours.. that extra .7mm is basically extra stud diameter

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #26 on: 12:07:29 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
Buy a set of Riken Mesh wheels instead..

-dan

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #27 on: 12:15:59 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
i have an 83 firebird...  its 5 x 4.75

but a gm 4x115 will work on an s12..  the gm lugs are bigger then ours.. that extra .7mm is basically extra stud diameter
That's a sure way to snap the studs right off the hub. If any one statement in this thread is heeded, it should be this: Don't fuck with incorrect bolt patterns in a dumbass attempt to make them fit. Wheels are a serious safety topic, possibly the most important safety topic on a car. DO IT RIGHT.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline SlickS12

• http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=504817996
« Reply #28 on: 12:25:49 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
My opinion, and I would have done this with all four corners of my car if it werent sra, is just convert to se 5lugs.  Better brake options for the front and rear and you wont have to rely on spacer/adapters to hold your wheels on and to make them poke more than they already would.  I had to use adapters in the rear but sra guys are kind of sol when it comes to 5 lug conversions. 

Also if you go with the 5x114.3 and you are looking for low offset wheels, the majority of wheels sold for jeeps are the same bolt patter and can be had for cheep cheep cheep!
« Last Edit: 12:26:23 PM / 01-Jun-11 by SlickS12 »
'84 SRA VG Notch

yah, camber city called, they want you to run for mayor.
Canyon Roads...you go. Faster. And faster. And faster. And then you�re simply existing above an asphalt adventure.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #29 on: 12:30:00 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
bravo^^^

You can also go Z31 NA four lug, if you want to stick with four lug... the brakes and disc rotors are the same as the SE i.e. bigger than four lug.

But regardless, these trans am wheels won't work.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #30 on: 01:29:24 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
i like our 4 lug though because there are soooo many awesome jdm old school wheels in the 4 lug bolt pattern...

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogen
  haha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #31 on: 03:55:41 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
yeah when you move to five lug, the styles reflect more of a modern taste.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline ka-tgazelle

« Reply #32 on: 10:24:45 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
Lol I dont think you guys realize this I have an Se , I dont have 4 lug.....

Post Merge: [time]03:28:02 AM / 02-Jun-11 [/time]
My opinion, and I would have done this with all four corners of my car if it werent sra, is just convert to se 5lugs.  Better brake options for the front and rear and you wont have to rely on spacer/adapters to hold your wheels on and to make them poke more than they already would.  I had to use adapters in the rear but sra guys are kind of sol when it comes to 5 lug conversions. 

Also if you go with the 5x114.3 and you are looking for low offset wheels, the majority of wheels sold for jeeps are the same bolt patter and can be had for cheep cheep cheep!

What do you think I have on my car now for rims. :D I got alot of shit from alot of members on here for it.... Honestly my car looks dope with em and slammed.

Before the slam:

You know how many people said i couldnt tuck those rims...... Everyone lol guess what happend, I tucked them and they look so dope.

Post Merge: 10:29:14 PM / 01-Jun-11
And  I was told Id never roll the fenders enough.... Lol the last picture is what i started with.
« Last Edit: 10:29:14 PM / 01-Jun-11 by ka-tgazelle »
Where we're going... We don't need camber.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #33 on: 11:10:26 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
no offense but your wheels aren't "tucked", you extended your lip directly outward and in my opinion it looks horrible, although I would guess that most people will agree with that opinion ... but hey, if you like the way it looks, cool beans. But it is NOT tucked by any sense of the word.

Anyways this thread is about trans am wheels and how they do not work for our cars.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline ka-tgazelle

« Reply #34 on: 11:24:56 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
Lol looks horrible????? How so thats pulled and rolled  and now im doing body work... Im probably going out on a limb but  your the first and only person to tell me that roll job looks horrible, And no i did extend them out thats rolled , Davids are the same..... I dont see what makes my car any different.

Post Merge: [time]04:28:34 AM / 02-Jun-11 [/time]
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times by people locally and on local forums....

Post Merge: 11:29:51 PM / 01-Jun-11
And the picture of the rear rim was before the front was lowered the back sits even lower now .
« Last Edit: 11:29:51 PM / 01-Jun-11 by ka-tgazelle »
Where we're going... We don't need camber.

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #35 on: 11:56:40 PM / 01-Jun-11 »
What about jeep wheels? If you are 5 bolt you've got a lot of selection in 15s...

I recently bought a set of -12 offset 15x8.5 centerlines.. they are the dope.

-dan

Offline Redneck

« Reply #36 on: 12:20:02 AM / 02-Jun-11 »
I lol'd a little at this whole thing.

I lol'd a lot at this whole thing.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #37 on: 12:27:09 AM / 02-Jun-11 »
negative offset wheels are retarded anyways, they put stress on bearings, lead of bump steer, lots of wheel scrub - but look cool as hell so people sacrifice everything for them..

-dan

Offline firefox

« Reply #38 on: 01:11:40 PM / 02-Jun-11 »
That's a sure way to snap the studs right off the hub. If any one statement in this thread is heeded, it should be this: Don't fuck with incorrect bolt patterns in a dumbass attempt to make them fit. Wheels are a serious safety topic, possibly the most important safety topic on a car. DO IT RIGHT.

i've done it and it works fine.   it was a quick fix that lasted me a few hundred miles but it did work perfect.  i keep it as my full sized spare.

but in anycase arro's mostly right... just buy some new rims that fit properly.  a new set of rims and tires cost close to what some old used rims and new tires cost.  most rims and tire warehouses give a big discount when you order together.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #39 on: 03:00:23 PM / 02-Jun-11 »
That, and what RB25sx - SLPR said, AND.... FYI, ask other people on other car forums, and we're pretty tame with our judgements on visuals and such. You can go to some sites for other cars and using the wrong look will get people insulting you personally.

I don't have anything against you personally, I just think it doesn't look good. If you're going to fill in and taper the lip, then when you're done I'll revise judgement. I haven't seen what David has done recently, so that doesn't apply to me.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo