Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electrical Switch Cleaning 101  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Wolf Dilworth

• http://
Electrical Switch Cleaning 101
« on: 04:57:12 PM / 21-Jun-11 »
There have been some folks wanting a switch cleaning Tutorial, so here is what I have.  High res. for clarity.

Here are the basic tools you will need: [the little tube is Dielectric Grease.  The good stuff is not cheap and the cheap stuff is not good.  Also, use a solvent that leaves no residue.]

Here is a typical switch assembly:

Start pulling it apart, gently, use a small screwdriver (if needed) to pry parts up.

Work around the edges to release the little locking tabs, walking the pieces apart.

...And.  (be aware of the orientation of all the small parts)

Using cleaning compound, brushes and swabs, clean out all the crud. I do not recommend sanding or scraping the metal contacts, just clean with solvent and a swab.  I wash the plastic housings in the sink with a brush and soapy water AND rinse with clean water.

Get everything looking like this.  This is not the best image but you should get the idea. Yes gang, that is a different switch assembly.

Once everything is clean, add a tiny blob of Dielectric Grease to the contacts, it does not take much.  (note: that is a tiny jewelers screwdriver.)

Grease only the metal to metal contacts, not the plastic bits that move the contacts. Once you are happy with the finished product, re-assemble everything and put part back into service.

Note:  When cleaning the turn signal stalk, there are little plastic hot-melt closures that you will have to pop loose (break), you can usually snap this back together after cleaning, if needed, you can use a little blob of hot-glue or even re-weld with a soldering pencil.

FWIW - I have had mixed results with turn signal cleaning.  I have done three stalks and only one seemed to function acceptably afterward. Gripe on all three was "no high beam" function.   

Facebook Share    

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
Re: Electrical Switch Cleaning 101
« Reply #1 on: 11:03:10 PM / 21-Jun-11 »
AWESOME!

the first headlight stalk i did turned out perfect and never messed up on me again. the second one has been almost perfect except the taillights were hit or miss for a minute but that cleared up. the first one didnt get dielectric grease. just a little wd-40. i kno its wrong but it worked

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #2 on: 02:07:01 AM / 25-Jun-11 »
My high beams are picky im going to redo them for a 3rd time, at least they work now cause i had none before
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #3 on: 01:38:17 PM / 25-Jun-11 »
I just realized that i had yet to sticky this post....congrats and great work wolf!

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogen
  haha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...