Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ca18det ?  (Read 6734 times)

Offline mannytheman

• http://
Ca18det ?
« on: 10:51:39 AM / 07-Aug-11 »
I know I have read the answer to this some where on this site but I'm second guessing it now.
Are there different kinds of 18dets'....as far as motor mounts and bolting up to my tranny?
Cause some where made for an s12 and some for s13....and I prob won't find one that came out of an s12.....
Thanks

Facebook Share    

Offline tommy

Re: Ca18det ?
« Reply #1 on: 11:28:49 AM / 07-Aug-11 »
the engine itself is pretty much unchanged... same motor mount and same engine to tranny bolt pattern, all the ca18 bolts in the s12 or s13, which ever version it is.  The only difference is between both versions lies in the transmission bolted to it :  the s12 version uses the short FS5W71C transmission, the same one as in the mkII cars so the shifter fit in the same location as stock... the s13 version uses the same transmission, but in a longer form (like the one on the sr20det and ka24) and push the shifter backwards, so you need to cut your transmission tunnel a little, although both trannies share the same internals. 

If you have a mkII car, use your current transmission on any ca18det block and it's a direct bolt-on on the engine mounts and transmission mounts, if you use the s13 transmission, you need to mod the tranny mount and cut the transmission tunnel. 

If you have a mkI car, you can still use your stock tranny, but it's will not withstand the same power level that the C will...
Corolla TE31 1977 (traded)
Corolla KE20 1974 (Project)

Offline newby200sx

« Reply #2 on: 01:59:19 PM / 07-Aug-11 »
if you have  a way to find every part of the engine go for it but if your like many of us in the usa i say dont do it i know first hand its so hard to come by parts
Drifting is like my job, and I take my job seriously

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #3 on: 02:57:08 PM / 07-Aug-11 »
Mk 1.5 have c trans as well I've owned 3 so I know lol mk 1.5 is 86 only maybe the end of 85 but they were in transition in 86 to the mk2 also if you go with a s13 trans make sure to get the front portion of the s13 driveshaft as well as the s12 shaft will be to short (that's what she said lol) anyway ca18det is not that hard to come parts compared to more popular sr20 it is but its fairly decent check the nico forums you can find parts on there for sure

Offline newby200sx

« Reply #4 on: 06:18:04 PM / 07-Aug-11 »
i always need parts nico is worthless zilvia is worthless the only website to get parts that is ligit is on here, i see your in canada so you should be good on finding parts i assume
Drifting is like my job, and I take my job seriously

Offline mannytheman

« Reply #5 on: 11:45:48 PM / 09-Aug-11 »
If my main concern was parts I would get a 240 and go ka-t haha.
Thanks guys!
I will now be in the process of blowing up my freshly rebuilt ca18et and sourcing a ca18det.
As soon as I buy my new engine I'll wire my wastegate shut and shot the old dog in the head :)

Offline nismo_200sx

« Reply #6 on: 11:59:50 PM / 09-Aug-11 »
the engine itself is pretty much unchanged... same motor mount and same engine to tranny bolt pattern, all the ca18 bolts in the s12 or s13, which ever version it is.  The only difference is between both versions lies in the transmission bolted to it :  the s12 version uses the short FS5W71C transmission, the same one as in the mkII cars so the shifter fit in the same location as stock... the s13 version uses the same transmission, but in a longer form (like the one on the sr20det and ka24) and push the shifter backwards, so you need to cut your transmission tunnel a little, although both trannies share the same internals. 

If you have a mkII car, use your current transmission on any ca18det block and it's a direct bolt-on on the engine mounts and transmission mounts, if you use the s13 transmission, you need to mod the tranny mount and cut the transmission tunnel. 

If you have a mkI car, you can still use your stock tranny, but it's will not withstand the same power level that the C will...
or you can just keep your ca18det tranny and swap rear bellhousings from the C tranny and be set with same oem s12 shift position with s13 trans like a dope ass boss like me would do lol
1987 Nissan 200sx