Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Refresh.  (Read 16632 times)

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
Re: Project Refresh.
« Reply #40 on: 02:53:03 PM / 25-Oct-11 »
So wait, I technically still own an S12? :P

I must say, out of all the S12's I had, I hated that one.  I loved my XE (though it was really beat up when i bought it), and I loved my 1st SE.  The one you have is the 2nd SE I had, and my brain was too busy with college and work to even think about it :(  I'm glad to see that you're getting some of the issues sorted out.  Did you get a chance to put the Prothane bushings in from the Z store?
~xano

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #41 on: 08:37:06 PM / 26-Oct-11 »
No. for the most part, im not gonna mess with suspension stuff til winter. then i can dismantle, clean, and reassemble with new shiny stuff! right now, im trying to get the title thing handled.

I put the new MAF in, put on a new set of wires (fyi, bosch wires fit PERFECT!). started her up, and she runs better. I can rev to the moon if i want. until it runs for a minute or so. It's not crapping out like it was, its just got a lot of popping going on, and a light throttle delay (tps probably). I think if the rear brakes werent locked up, it would go under its own power just fine. I was at least able to go up/down the driveway (all of 25 feet, lol) without major issues. So my next lil project is to tear apart the rear brakes, and see if its a caliper problem (please dont be, lol) or just stuck pads. Im not afraid of rebuilding/replacing the calipers, just would prefer to hold off for now.

ben.. I went thru a box i classified as 'stuff' this past weekend. guess what i found? 20 usable factory lugnuts. DAMNIT. I made a $60 mistake not going thru that box ( i bougt all new lugnuts).

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #42 on: 10:21:52 AM / 27-Oct-11 »
Haha, man I gave you nearly everything I had, i didnt ever really throw out anything until this past weekend when I went back to the QC and cleaned out the garage for my dad.  I've got the key for the crappy aftermarket lugs here too if you need it (if not i'll just pitch it).  Only reason i used the aftermarket lugs was due to the smaller hole on those wheels for the lugs.  The factory ones were too tight of a fit to be comfortable with using em. 

Like I said on the rear brakes, they worked fine when I parked it, worked fine the first few weeks after parking it, then I noticed them sticking quite a bit when I tried to move it in the driveway.  I don't think 3-5 months of sitting would seize calipers, but I've been wrong before.
~xano

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #43 on: 09:21:50 PM / 28-Oct-11 »
pads were stuck due to a rust buildup beneath the shims. cleaned, lubed, problem solved. right rear caliper has been replaced before, as it turned in much 'easier' than the left rear. my 3/8" impact doesn't care. it either turns, or it doesn't. lubed them up, and they both spun ok. the e-brake cables in the rear don't move, or at least not without great force. so for now they're disconnected (gonna need new ones).

Tried to drive it. no dice. ran great for the first 10 minutes. then it went to crap. now it barely starts. back to square 1. gonna check fuel pressure tomorrow after replacing the filter. it moves SO much nicer without stuck rear brakes.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #44 on: 07:05:01 PM / 30-Oct-11 »
Well, i installed the fuel filter, and the car was able to run long enough to drive. it had about no power, but it ran nevertheless.

..and then the fun began. It still didn't run right, so i pulled the upper timing cover..and then pulled the lower too.  Here's what i found.

Obviously, my crank is off about 1/2 tooth in the picture..but..have you seen the cams?! 6 teeth! BALLS!!!

So. I released tension, moved things into proper time, adjusted the distributor per FSM. crank...crank...crank.. NOTHING. wtf? I ended up initially getting timing wrong with the distributor, and then vehicle would ..crank STOP crank STOP.. so I moved it to what i thought was propery.. crank run stall.. crank run stall. ok. thats when i consulted the manual (lol). got it right, verified cylinder 1 is firing properly (spark) using the timing light. its right about 20* bdtc. It just wont run. fuel is there. (pump turns on, it was there a day ago, why wouldnt it be now?!) its reading a proper airflow signal.

Im 100% lost. If the valves were bent, it wouldnt have run before. so why wont it run now? gonna post elsewhere too, see if i can get a resolve. 

Offline Colonel Gustard

• El Senor Gustard
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
« Reply #45 on: 07:14:33 PM / 30-Oct-11 »
hmmmm, interesting. the timing marks and such are back in alignment right? i know a bad MAF can cause the car to start and then stall. Tried this on a friends SE and with a bad maf it would turn on, idle like crap for about 2 or 3 seconds, then stall itself. maybe maf?
"Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance."

what the hell is camber?

I thought about my s12 and the parts i want to put in her :P

Obviously, you have yet to meet Colonel Gustard.
I saw some of his posts, he seems like more fun than a barrel of hookers.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #46 on: 08:03:11 PM / 30-Oct-11 »
Just replaced the MAF with a reconditioned unit. it functioned as it should prior..

I've created a topic in the VG section, for ease of future reference and so on.. http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=34131.0

Offline Wolf Dilworth

• http://
« Reply #47 on: 12:10:12 AM / 31-Oct-11 »
Dude, it looks like you need a new belt.  There some teeth in one image that look pretty ratty.  Inspect for sure.  Are the alignment marks still visible on the belt?  If the belt is good then remove it and install as per new belt and FSM.  You can not simply align the crank and expect top pulleys to agree.  Remember this is a four cycle.

Seriously, remove the belt and start from square one, page one.  Ensure TDC, ensure belt is facing the correct way (it is directional)

Yes PITA, but it is the ONLY way to be certain.

Best of luck.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #48 on: 09:08:45 PM / 04-Nov-11 »
Got it back together. while putting things back together i installed the CHTS.

filled the system with coolant. got everything in order. excitement started to build. started it, and it runs...but only at idle. man. I see why ben hated this thing so much. so many problems. given whats been tested/replaced, i went to fuel pressure. Upon first key cycle is has a steady stream. not very powerful, but its there. cranking fuel pressure? eh. barely a trickle. I think its prostate (aka fuel pump) is going bad, but i need to get a guage on it to check actual pressure. pretty sure its failing the fuel flow test at this point.

Post Merge: 11:43:46 AM / 05-Nov-11
Fuel pressure (just after the filter) varies from 30-38, depending on how the engine is running. i don't know the spec for the S12, but i've seen 34 psi thrown around on some Z forums, so we're gonna assume that its ok.

timing.. I tried getting a litte less timing (it was at 30*bdtc, and wouldnt go lower). and instead got more. According to the crank pulley its roughly 50* bdtc (no marks, rough guess) and it idles much better, when it wants. It seems to have mood swings. some times it runs and doesn't skip a beat, other times it can't idle. i can't make heads or tails of it. The one time it was running great, I drove it down the road. didn't make it but 1/4 mile, and it decided it didn't like running. lol. hobbled back home and said fuck it. (pretty pissed by this point). cleaned the idle air controller, no difference (didn't think it would help, but knew it couldn't hurt). Just diggiing through the engine bay, there's a bunch of greenies everywhere (corrosion). So, Im going to move forward with pulling the engine/transmission. figure out what the hell is going on with the wiring, and just go from the ground up.

On a side note. It runs GREAT at 6000 rpm. once in my back garage, i did a lil' burnout. it stalled at first, couldn't do anything at 2500 rpm. so, i took it to 3500 rpm, dropped the clutch (one foot on brake, gas), and put it to the floor. I held it at 6k for about 30 seconds. Holy..smoke. best burnout i've done in a long time, based on the level of smoke.  unnecessary? sure. Do i feel better? hell yes.

So, Ben, you will be the legal owner of this car, until i can get the title inspected/switched in the spring. sigh.

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #49 on: 01:27:05 AM / 16-Dec-11 »
lol, just dont do anything illegal with it, I have the paypal receipt as a bill of sale, so i'm covered, but still...

When you get it running right, can i have it back? i'll pay you the money back :P
~xano

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #50 on: 04:14:13 PM / 16-Dec-11 »
Sounds like someone needs a new engine harness... Or a MegaSquirt. :lol:
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #51 on: 07:01:28 PM / 07-Mar-12 »
I've found them. I've finally found them. I've got verbal, from a business that they are mine! HELL YES, and the price is wicked awesome. stay tuned for what "them" may be.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #52 on: 07:47:30 PM / 09-Mar-12 »
officially paid for and shipped. Im not speaking of what they are, until i get them. (won't believe it til i see it sorta thing). so...very excited.
« Last Edit: 08:09:59 PM / 04-Sep-13 by Jsvob03 »

Offline Colonel Gustard

• El Senor Gustard
« Reply #53 on: 02:27:11 AM / 13-Mar-12 »
z31 turbo hubs???
"Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance."

what the hell is camber?

I thought about my s12 and the parts i want to put in her :P

Obviously, you have yet to meet Colonel Gustard.
I saw some of his posts, he seems like more fun than a barrel of hookers.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #54 on: 11:56:29 AM / 14-Mar-12 »

Yes! from an 89 z31 Turbo. Sweet. Found them after months of emails, phone calls, browsing the web, etc. I had come across multiple sets, but when it was time to get down to it, the sellers wouldn't come off them. I still have a set promised to me from an 88 Shiro Partout. If i can get them for the right price, i'll grab them n' resell, but im not gonna pursue it any further.

anyhow, Im taking them in to work and gonna clean em up (sand blasting) and then gonna paint them with a high temp paint. I'll get pictures when all done.

I'm going to get a set of summit Racing brake rotors for the front. they're $35-40 each, for a performance rotor. I'm not positive its something that would withstand a trackday, but im not expecting that. Also going to order a set of Hawk HPS pads. Lastly, going to pickup the bigger S13 (or was it the z31/32..) master cylinder. rear brakes will be stock replacement rotors with HPS pads as well. Going to try to pickup a set of stainless lines as well, but thats a lesser priority as the combo it will already have should be plenty for my usage.

Work on the car should begin here at the end of the month, and my goal is to have the car on the road mid to late summer.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #55 on: 06:25:33 PM / 20-Mar-12 »

I removed the studs, removed the old bearings/races, and sandblasted the hubs. washed 'em down,  and put on a few thin coats of high temp (500*f) paint.

Then I reinstalled the studs (1 had to be replaced, it was previously damaged/shortened--see previous pic, left hub, bottom right stud), pressed in the new races, and were ready for use. just gotta pack the bearings when ready for install. Used timken bearings. I got them at about 50% off, so i'm a happy camper!

paint is pretty glossy, so the pic shows my finger prints, etc., but the hubs look damn good.

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #56 on: 02:40:31 PM / 23-May-12 »
Got any recent updates? I havent heard about the old beast in a while lol.
~xano

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #57 on: 07:32:44 PM / 23-May-12 »
I got some clear bumper lenses, and thats about it.

Work has been unusually slow for this time of year, and my paycheck is based off of work flow/hours turned (flat-rate technician), so as you can imagine money is a bit tight, and the s12 isn't the highest on the priority list. I think this weekend though i am going to get it into the front garage (yes, i have 2). If its in the front garage, its in eyesight and therefore more accessible. Plus, alot of the work that needs done doesn't require money (pull engine/trans..suspension, etc) initially.

I have been toying with selling my motorcycle, but the wife won't allow it. she says i'll regret it just like i did selling my old S12. I don't have the passion for bikes as i do the s12, but..damn. she wins.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #58 on: 11:54:55 AM / 15-Jul-12 »
ok. time for an update, lol.

It hasn't run since my last update. turned the key and it fired right up! went through to verify everything was working. well..not anymore. the master cylinder was completely empty. no visible leaks. maybe in the booster, but i got no smoke after running. filled it, and it has a pedal, but naturally its mush. clutch was stuck. pumped it a couple times and all is better. turned on the blower motor. THUD! followed by a god awful smell. the smell of rotting animal. damnit. something made a nest and died in the blower box.

Given that it runs, Im eliminating all mechanical aspects of the motor. gonna pull it, clean everything, regasket, and do what needs to be done. I may need to get it towed to the local dmv, but its GOT TO BE DONE. need the title in my name.

unfortunately work has flip flopped. as in, im working 50-60 hrs/week. no time. im going to west virginia next weekend, so thats out. MAYBE sunday. we'll see. I desperately crave driving a fun car, so motivation is coming back. Lets see if i can get it on the road before snow hits.

edit: On second thought. I work at a shop, have all kinds of tools (at work, minimal at home), and access to LIFTS. Providing my Boss allows, Im just gonna get it towed to my work, pull the engine/trans, and do work there. so much easier. Oh, and the Nissan franchise thats part of my company...yeah. they're literally across the road.

Offline cutter67

• Has Earned a gold star!
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #59 on: 03:09:05 PM / 15-Jul-12 »
i didnt realize how close we are. i am going to Akron all the time Ravenna is about 1 hour 20 minutes from me. i have a ton of SE parts so if there is anything you need let me know.