Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Refresh.  (Read 26550 times)

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Re: Project Refresh.
« Reply #20 on: 04:23:02 PM / 17-Sep-11 »
Dude I am SO STOKED that you got an S12 again, and that it was kept "in the family"... I figure Ben will get himself another one, maybe something clean and unfucked with... I hope this one gets set straight. I know you have the know-how and obviously the space to keep it and work on it at, which was Ben's problem basically...

I think red and black would look awesome. I also think those wheels have got to go lol... I like the AmRacing Outlaw II's, but in a deeper dish and clean. These ones are good for a rally setup, which is what Ben was going for, but I suspect rally isn't on your thoughts with this car.

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #21 on: 05:03:31 PM / 17-Sep-11 »
oh no. the wheels are def. going away. not my style at all. I was actually just researching that. prob gonna be a 16" wheel (16x7) w/ a 225/50r16 for rubber. +20 offset should work, if i dont do the z31 rear arms, may need to get some longer studs and spacers for the rear, for aesthetic purposes.

if I get too close to my projected budget, i can always go stockers for now as ben gave me the oe wheels. one is bent, but im gonna play w/ that one and try a bending technique. 

definately not going rally. gonna be mostly street, maybe a few track days.
« Last Edit: 05:04:26 PM / 17-Sep-11 by Jsvob03 »

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #22 on: 05:13:52 PM / 17-Sep-11 »
Your desired wheel specs are headed towards what is on my RS-X... It has 16x7 in front w/ 205/55-16 and 16x8 in rear w/225/50-16... I forget the exact offsets but they're printed on the inside of the wheel, if you really want I can pull and look at them again. My fitment is flush, see pics in my thread.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 11:01:42 PM / 18-Sep-11 »
On the subject of 5th gear, i think the linkage broke internally.  I think its there, but broken, so when you try to push it into 5th, its hitting the two pieces of linkages together, causing it to push a LITTLE bit into gear, but not enough to ever engage.  I'd drop the trans and remove the main case.

On the wheels, if you want to switch em, hold on to em, there are ford guys that want those still.
« Last Edit: 11:01:55 PM / 18-Sep-11 by Xano »
~xano

Offline Wolf Dilworth

• http://
« Reply #24 on: 11:29:55 PM / 19-Sep-11 »
...Does Reverse go in and/or  feel a little odd? 

Fifth and Reverse use the same fork so if one is broke then the other...

A sheared roll pin is pretty hard to do since they are doubled up.  Unless someone went all ghetto on ya.

Cracked/broken shift-fork is going to be a PITA.  be sure to find all the pieces before you button her back up.

Best of luck.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #25 on: 04:22:37 PM / 24-Sep-11 »
reverse is good. ill know more on that once its out of the car..

I got it running alot better. It purrs like a kitten. albeit a sick kitten, its not all lumpy and surgy and way better than it was. why? timing. it was just a bit too advanced. how far you ask? my guestimates put it at 60* bdtc AT LEAST. the distributor was two teeth off!

It makes me wonder though..is the valve timing off? how the hell didn't it blow up. better yet, how did it even run? so now i just wanna get some vac. line, and clean all the under hood connections, and make sure nothing else (internal engine) needs corrected when pulling the motor.
« Last Edit: 04:23:07 PM / 24-Sep-11 by Jsvob03 »

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #26 on: 12:15:18 AM / 25-Sep-11 »
Sounds like it is time to run it around to TDC on #1 cylinder and remove and reinstall your timing belt as per the marks... 

Two teeth on the dizzy gear is pretty bad. 

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #27 on: 08:28:40 AM / 25-Sep-11 »
The whole motor will be coming out with the trans. gonna clean things up a bit. at that time i will be going over things such as that. My intentions at this time were to determine whether the miss was from the mechanical side of things, or electrical. got that done.

on a side note, the p.o. (maybe not ben), has apparently bypassed the clutch switch, cause i can start the car in gear. well, during all my testing yesterday, the car was in 1st gear. found out the left rear caliper is nice n' stuck. how? left rear rotor was smoking. lol. with any luck its just the pads stuck in the slides. e-brake springs aren't locked up, so suprisingly its not that. thats piddly stuff tho.

alright.

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #28 on: 01:11:00 PM / 10-Oct-11 »
yeah, that was the PO, I did that once or twice myself.  the caliper is probably from the few months of sitting in a fairly damp area without being driven (just started and moved around short distances)  On the timing, never touched the dizzy while I owned it, so not sure on that one.
~xano

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #29 on: 07:20:36 PM / 16-Oct-11 »
things movin slow.. work/life not giving me time.

Parts received:
z31 front calipers
Exp. Engineering t/c "bushings"
20 stock lugnuts. pricey bastards, even w/ my nissan discount.

In route:
m30 clears
z31 turbo hubs

work to do:
-Need to change the oil. Just cause, but also cause the car NEEDS to be road ready by months end.
-swap good tires onto stock rims, massage stock rim. (or just use aftermarket rims if unable to fix the bad one

Messing with the power steering last weekend, found out the pump is likely trashed. Also need to find the sensory problem. why? When i start the car (cold) it runs SMOOTH as silk for about a minute or two. ya know, the time it takes to get into closed loop. then it runs like trash. NO throttle response, will idle 'ok', but thats it. if i let it run long enough (5 minutes or so at idle) ill get some throttle response, but not much. havent run codes yet, but i suspect a maf related issue. be it false air or otherwise.

But yeah, the car needs to be driveable (5 miles roundtrip) so i can get the title inspected. basically, I need to get the car upto the bmv (aka dmv in every other state) have them verify mileage, vin, year, make and model. thats it. so stupid, but i cannot get the title in my name until then. so ben, still 'technically' owns this car. I'm sure he doesn't care, and i have faith he's not gonna pull some stolen car 'bs', i just dont want him being legally tied to it, for liability's sake. (basically, i don't wanna screw ben over in some weird roundabout way).
so yeah. new oil, tire stuffs, and drive for 5 miles. i guess i could just put a resistor in the chts connector, and see what happens (hell, it could just be that  :idea: )

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #30 on: 11:02:09 PM / 16-Oct-11 »
You are going to love those T/C Bushings once you get them on the road.  Very solid tracking even under very hard braking.  Had an idiot in a Mustang pull a bonehead maneuver right in my path, very controlled braking and sidestep lane change with out even a whimper from the tires, or over-correction needed.

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #31 on: 03:52:04 AM / 17-Oct-11 »
I want some T/C bushings, I messaged him but i got no reply lol. Guess i should check out the site
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #32 on: 09:41:02 AM / 17-Oct-11 »
Yes check out his website, they sell out quickly.

You can PM him directly here, he is "Mr 510". 

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #33 on: 09:53:41 AM / 17-Oct-11 »
I Pmed him a few weeks ago but have not gotten a reply lol
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #34 on: 10:30:41 PM / 17-Oct-11 »
There is a cat that works with the "mad genious", his name is Cody and here is his addy.

I will give him a heads up that you are interested in the TC bushings.
« Last Edit: 09:11:30 PM / 18-Oct-11 by Wolf Dilworth »

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #35 on: 10:44:44 PM / 17-Oct-11 »
Yeah i got a reply on my E-mail, thanks tho Mr. Wolf. I am sending him the money tomorrow and they will be here shortly :D. Keep hearing nothing but good about the bushings so i cant wait to install them. Ill stop thread jacking now :P hahaha

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #36 on: 09:13:47 PM / 18-Oct-11 »
Cool beans...  Glad it all worked out well.  I am sure you will be happy with them. 

Absolutely the biggest/best improvement you can make to your car in under a half hour.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #37 on: 04:30:11 PM / 19-Oct-11 »
i ordered my tension rod pivots from EE on their ebay store. BE PATIENT. it took them a few days to get them in the mail, and then forever (and a day!) for the mail truck to deliver. I however live in ohio, their shop is oregon, so that explains the delay in transit.

Got the Stock wheels cleaned up, tires from the ford rims on the stock rims. fixed the one bent rim. actually came out way better than expected. can barely see it visually, measured 13 lbs roadforce variation (imbalance 0.75/0.50), so i'll call it a win.

on a side note, mother nature sucks. its been raining like hell for the past week (worst today n tomorrow) so the  yard is wet, and i dont feel like tearing my yard to bits trying to get a rwd car out of the mud. So it waits. Im hoping for sunday to be dry enough, but we'll see. if not then, hopefully sometime early next week.

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #38 on: 10:39:57 PM / 22-Oct-11 »
more updates.

Got the car to the front driveway. found out an idling car, isn't necessarily a driveable car. the frustrating part, is that its somewhat intermittent, but for the most part, its hammered out. Played with it a bit today. turned the pump on with the fuel line off, and cleared out some of the gas that was in there. put in 5 gallons of fresh stuff, and fired it up. nice difference. holds a smooth idle for as long as i tell it to. off idle though.. ick. I tried to drive it..full of fail. got MAYBE 200' and turned around. just wouldn't have it.

played around a bit. tapping lightly on the maf, causes it to stumble, stall. time for a new maf + air filter. pulled codes from the ecu. 12 (maf) 13(chts) 14 (speed sensor) 22 (throttle switch iirc) 23 (fuel pump iirc).  might have them mixed up. The fuel pump sender is off. WAY off. I put 5 gallons in, and am at just under 1/8 tank. Vehicle speed sensor. I could care less right now. throttle switch seems likely. definately needs a new MAF. suspect the CHTS is bad, given the running conditions (need to do a resistance test to verify).

fuck. I have to do this by November 6th (temp tags expire then) in order to get the title switched. gonna be pricey.

Offline Colonel Gustard

• El Senor Gustard
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
« Reply #39 on: 11:35:13 PM / 22-Oct-11 »
i have an SE maf in my garage, pretty sure it works since my friend gave it to me when he swapped to the 86 set up. let me know if you want/need it.
"Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance."

what the hell is camber?

I thought about my s12 and the parts i want to put in her :P

Obviously, you have yet to meet Colonel Gustard.
I saw some of his posts, he seems like more fun than a barrel of hookers.