WHAT THE HELL is a blaster coil?

Started by turbokid, 09:20:12 PM / 12-Apr-12

Previous topic - Next topic

turbokid

night_s12

Its just one of MSD's ignition coils
"speed limits are like herpes, you can never get rid of them"-Jeremy Clarkson
Quote from: EightySix200SX on 10:33:26 PM / 11-Mar-12 Going places knowing your driving something you won't see every five minutes is priceless
1988 200sx SE-ROXY
1987 200sx xe hatch back - Shelli(sold)
2002 mitsubishi lancer OZ rally- daily driver - Flow(traded for SE)

turbokid

So an S12 would use 2 coils then right?

silverton

A CA car would, a VG car uses one.
-Dennis

BoostedVG (in regards to people hating on the VG) - Me thinks they were not the mechanic they thought and blamed it all on the engine.

Colonol Gustard - youre one of the few people that represent the s12 chassis like a boss!

night_s12

Quote from: EightySix200SX on 10:33:26 PM / 11-Mar-12 Going places knowing your driving something you won't see every five minutes is priceless
1988 200sx SE-ROXY

turbokid

night_s12

U can use pretty much any after market coil
1988 200sx SE-ROXY

Prolowtone

Im running MSD Blaster 2 coils on my ca20. No complaints at all. got my buddy to put one in his supra after his new acell coil died in 3 months and its not giving any troubles
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Quote from: VG30DETT on 02:39:59 PM / 01-Oct-12
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Quote from: StephenG on 08:06:21 PM / 28-Nov-12
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Arro

SOME of the CA engines... as in ONLY the CA18ET. The CA18ET has two independent coils from the factory on North American market S12 Turbo cars. There are 8 spark plugs on those versions of the CA18ET -- 4 intake spark plugs, and 8 exhaust spark plugs. That was an emissions feature not found on CA18ET's in other markets. Anyways, the twin spark coils are for that reason, to provide spark to each of the two banks of plugs.

An MSD Blaster SS coil:

On a CA18ET with 8 spark plugs, you use two of these Blaster SS coils to replace the OEM coils.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

rednucleus

I thought all the CA motors had 4 intake & 4 exhaust plugs, each set powered by a seperate coil

Arro

Not in the UK for example... they have the one side plugged up, and just have four spark plugs/wires along with a different distributor.

Post Merge: 07:18:19 AM / 15-Apr-12

But I just realized what you meant... all the CA SINGLE can motors in SOME markets... CA20E and CA18ET. In some markets, one side of the head has the holes plugged up and they only run four plugs. The second set of plugs in the 8-plug versions of the CA SOHC engines is an emissions thing, not a performance feature.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once

rednucleus

Just curious, anyone here ever plug their exhaust side and get rid of those 4 plugs? What does the ecu do with that?

Jeremy A

I only run on my intake side plugs,  runs absolutely fine.  I'm using NGK plugs/wires,  with a new coil.  8 spark plugs on an in-line four is 4 chumps.

Arro

Or emissions states with nazi smog officials like CA ;)
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Jeremy A

Word bro,  word.  Nevada is pretty strict here on emissions regulation too, but in at the beginning of 2012 the state passed a new classic vehicle exemption for 25+ year old cars that allows a smog waiver if the car is driven less than 5,000 miles a year.  Needless to say I was one of the first in line for that deal!  Then I said bye-bye to some needless things on my CA20E!

night_s12

What is tye cut off in CA for emissions?
1988 200sx SE-ROXY

Arro

Not "anything 25 years or older". Anything after 1979. For the rest of eternity.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

turbokid

so my intake side doesnt fire at all but the coil is firing what do you think my problem is?