Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New revisions to old - What is TUNING?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
New revisions to old - What is TUNING?
« on: 02:22:05 AM / 13-Apr-12 »
I had always been less interested in snazzy photos and articles of S12's, and more interested in the technical and educational side of automotive writing. Before Club-S12 was created, I wrote a series of tech articles to help the early S12 tuning hopefuls get a better sense of what they were up against at the time. Those articles would later be re-written into a single article that would guide a new tuner into the basic concepts and give them a good head start on tuning for more power safely. It was followed by a number of supplemental articles for Club-S12 that described blow-off valves, turbochargers, and other more specific topics.  

I had thought the old "What is TUNING?" article I wrote at the beginning of Club-S12 was lost in one of our server crashes years ago, but it turns out it had been saved as a post by one of the other admins. It had lots of good information and was written in plain language so that most people with little or no tuning knowledge could read it and walk away with a good understanding of basic tuning concepts.

Tonight I revised it, adding about 25% more content, a few pictures, and updating things to reflect ten years of automotive advances since the article was first written (and since Club-S12 was first created). Go take a looksee, and be sure to refer tuning noobs to this so that their questions are better focused:

http://www.club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=35120

This is written with a universal application in mind, and will apply to almost any automotive tuning scenario.

As far as reviving the old supplemental articles, I don't see that as necessary anymore, thanks to such great websites as howstuffworks.com who have excellent explanations accompanied by great diagrams (some even animated).

Facebook Share    

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance