wanna upgrade my cams

Started by s12rich, 12:06:21 PM / 22-May-12

Previous topic - Next topic

s12rich

looking to to do different cams for my vg just woundering if anyoe has some suggestions..looking for a lil more from old silvia...break 200 hp would be nice

Post Merge: 12:06:27 PM / 22-May-12

Arro

Not with just cams... maybe with cams, properly ported heads, intake, headers, full exhaust, a retune, and then you still might be a bit shy of 200bhp.

Any of the camshafts the Z31 can use, you can use, and there is alot of information out there for Z31's... you might look on Z31 forums for more info (z31performance.com for instance).
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

I_heart_VVL

200hp? You're better off with boost.
1987 SE V6 - Gone
2004 Mazda RX8 GT - Gone
2003 Subaru WRX - Gone
1997 Mazda Miata - SOLD!
2003 Nissan 350Z - Gone
1989 RHD RB25 S13 - Gone, thank god
1989 two tone SR coupe because s12s are dumb

silverton

200hp is doable on an NA motor.  But the stock injection needs to go in the garbage.
-Dennis

BoostedVG (in regards to people hating on the VG) - Me thinks they were not the mechanic they thought and blamed it all on the engine.

Colonol Gustard - youre one of the few people that represent the s12 chassis like a boss!

Arro

I didn't say it wasn't doable, I suggested a number of things that would get him close; a serious 200hp NA engine needs a lot more than casual bolt-ons.

-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once

silverton

Like I said, a VG30 needs a lot of money to make 200hp with the stock injection.  A carburetor is what you would need.

Sadly the 5 people with dyno sheets that are in the 200hp range on z31p, are all turbo.
-Dennis

BoostedVG (in regards to people hating on the VG) - Me thinks they were not the mechanic they thought and blamed it all on the engine.

Colonol Gustard - youre one of the few people that represent the s12 chassis like a boss!

s12rich

im not using a turbo, na all the way ....i was thinking bigger injectors with a cam and a slight air fuel tweek and timing tweek..with the intake and exahust i have on now should be close :idea: :yes:

night_s12

might need more than that. at least port the head and maybe a 7 angle valve job
"speed limits are like herpes, you can never get rid of them"-Jeremy Clarkson
Quote from: EightySix200SX on 10:33:26 PM / 11-Mar-12 Going places knowing your driving something you won't see every five minutes is priceless
1988 200sx SE-ROXY
1987 200sx xe hatch back - Shelli(sold)
2002 mitsubishi lancer OZ rally- daily driver - Flow(traded for SE)

I_heart_VVL

Quote from: silverton on 08:13:31 PM / 22-May-12
Like I said, a VG30 needs a lot of money to make 200hp with the stock injection.  A carburetor is what you would need.

Sadly the 5 people with dyno sheets that are in the 200hp range on z31p, are all turbo.
Why? Because it's cheaper, and you can make more power with the same amount of money.

But I have to admit, a holley 2 barrel on a VG would be so dope.
1987 SE V6 - Gone
2004 Mazda RX8 GT - Gone
2003 Subaru WRX - Gone
1997 Mazda Miata - SOLD!
2003 Nissan 350Z - Gone
1989 RHD RB25 S13 - Gone, thank god
1989 two tone SR coupe because s12s are dumb

silverton

Not because it's cheaper.  But because the stock injection can't handle the tweaks that are needed to make that much power.
-Dennis

Arro

Quote from: silverton on 02:53:08 AM / 23-May-12
Not because it's cheaper.  But because the stock injection can't handle the tweaks that are needed to make that much power.

QFT, but sadly the Nissan VG carbs are only in few (one?) regions of the world. I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a more common Holley or Edlebrock.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

silverton

Quote from: Arro on 11:54:14 AM / 23-May-12
QFT, but sadly the Nissan VG carbs are only in few (one?) regions of the world. I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a more common Holley or Edlebrock.

http://www.vg30.com/alt/510vg30parts_alt.html - Intake Manifold for Holley 500cfm 2 barrel Carburetor

$200 and it's all yours.
-Dennis

BoostedVG

What make you guys think carbs will make more power? I would never cut a hole in my hood for a 2 barrel carb. Might as well cut a hole in the floor and use your feet for brakes.

Anyone interested in turbocharging their vg? Shoot me a PM. Buck Ofama

Arro

YYYYYYYYABBA-DABBA-DOOOOOOOOO!
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

s12rich

has anyone of u did a cam job on your vg ...or is this the lounge

Taris Blue

First off I will tell you straight away that 200WHP+ takes lots of work on a single cam VG30...I've only seen a couple of people break that barrier and they had modified almost every part of the engine.

That said, aftermarket camshafts are an excellent way to get started, but unless you port the crap out of the heads and intake, your going to want to stick with a less aggressive grind...if you do plan to stay NA, I'd recommend the "stage 2" NA grind from Schneider Racing Cams...they are very affordable and you can get away with reusing all the rest of the factory parts without a problem (heads, intake, valve springs, etc.)

Here is a link to the cams I'm talking about: http://schneidercams.com/131H_VG30.aspx

Also here is a good page with many popular grinds from several companies: http://redz31.net/pages/caminfo.html

I'd also getting a set of adjustable cam gears and retarding the cam timing a bit...this will help move your power band up a bit higher and increase overall power slightly...

I cannot stress enough not to over do it on cam selection...the OEM heads on the VG30E flow poorly and it is easy to go to large with factory heads...you will move the power band to an unusable area and the power will actually decrease because of this.

When making a cam selection, always pick the smaller of the two you might be considering.

Hope this helps.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

s12rich

thx blue... what kinda aftermarket head would u recommend if i did wanna go alil more crazy

silverton

Quote from: BoostedVG on 05:14:52 PM / 23-May-12
What make you guys think carbs will make more power? I would never cut a hole in my hood for a 2 barrel carb. Might as well cut a hole in the floor and use your feet for brakes.

Because that's what works.  Carb's aren't that big either.  the S12 VG is the most popular swap in a 510 because the stock upper intake manifold fits under the hood with no modification.  Guess what else fits under the hood of a 510?  a carburetor on a VG.  1+1 equals...... ???

s12rich, you need to sign up for www.z31performance.com .  They are going to have the most pertinent information regarding the VG engine.  This is the forum for S12 chassis stuff and 4 cylinder motors.  Not VG stuff.
-Dennis

s12rich

the fact that this site says we need more info sould tell u all something

BoostedVG

Quote from: silverton on 09:49:05 PM / 23-May-12
Because that's what works.  Carb's aren't that big either.  the S12 VG is the most popular swap in a 510 because the stock upper intake manifold fits under the hood with no modification.  Guess Quwhat else fits under the hood of a 510?  a carburetor on a VG.  1+1 equals...... ???

s12rich, you need to sign up for www.z31performance.com .  They are going to have the most pertinent information regarding the VG engine.  This is the forum for S12 chassis stuff and 4 cylinder motors.  Not VG stuff.
Just because it fits under a 510 hood doesn't mean it will fit under a s12 hood. The reason 12 stuff clears in a 510 is not due to height and hood clearances it because of fire wall clearance.

Anyone interested in turbocharging their vg? Shoot me a PM. Buck Ofama