Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finally Getting Started: From the Ground Up  (Read 2314 times)

Offline anthony92stevens

Finally Getting Started: From the Ground Up
« on: 06:54:09 PM / 15-Jul-12 »
Got an '84 SRA Hatch a few months ago. It looked like this.

It read 105,xxx on the odometer.
The driver side door would't open.
The valve cover gasket was gone.
AND I had to take a bus from Knoxville to Memphis to get it. The guy was nice enough to give me the gasket and a quart of oil to get home.

First objective was to get the door open.

Some people may disagree with the method I used, but guess what?
It worked.
I need a door.
I've called upwards of 40 junkyards and can't find a donor in Knoxville.
I'll be heading to an Atlanta PAP soon to get a door. (I'm a procrastinator)
But first, I'm going to swap in the parts necessary for S13 front coil overs as a few wear items in the front are in need of replacing anyway.
My logic was: instead of replacing, upgrade for the same price.

So I hit craigslist and got me some used S13 knuckles, rotors, and calipers.

I have the rest of the parts on order, including: ball joints, inner tie rod ends, and outers, and coil overs.

My aspirations are to clean my baby Supra Wheels for something like this:

Then I'm going to cheap out for a single slammer. But I want to do it a little different. I'm thinking ITBs if I can source the info and parts needed while keeping it cost effective.

Here is a pick of it now, on the good side. Haha

Both sets, baby Supras and Starion, are junkyard rescues. Cool thing is that both sets are from 1984 models. Haha

I'll update as parts start showing up and going on.

I'm up for suggestion and info links on ITBs.

« Last Edit: 06:56:44 PM / 15-Jul-12 by anthony92stevens »

Facebook Share    

Offline StephenG

Re: Finally Getting Started: From the Ground Up
« Reply #1 on: 07:09:04 PM / 15-Jul-12 »
Super clean hatch, just sucks about that drivers door. Love zero options, no spoiler no sun roof... Lots of potential.

"[Today at 11:14:45 PM] SchizophrenicMC: YES THIS IS 4x4 IT CAN GO EVERYWHERE
[Today at 11:14:48 PM] SchizophrenicMC: Bitch no it can't
[Today at 11:15:38 PM] SchizophrenicMC: IT'S A ROAD-STAY-ON-ER"
"[Today at 06:54:06 PM] cutter67: i would say motherfucker opinionated yes"

Offline anthony92stevens

« Reply #2 on: 07:28:50 PM / 15-Jul-12 »
I have the talking lady and electric everything. The hatch wiper and A/C still works. Haha

Offline anthony92stevens

« Reply #3 on: 08:30:25 PM / 17-Jul-12 »
Gots my parts in. Now all I need are coil overs. Open to suggestions. They will be supporting a CA20 and eventually an single cam.

Offline EMAN44

• n00b
« Reply #4 on: 10:08:05 PM / 17-Jul-12 »
There is a junkyard near my house, it's in the neighboring city of Greer, SC.  Here is a link to their site...http://www.ronsparts.com/

They have an 86 hatch that I pulled a few parts off, and if I recall correctly, the doors were in pretty good shape...

Might save you a few miles from going all the way to Atlanta.  Might save you a few bucks as well, as Ron's is very very fair with their prices...I paid $100 for all of this...

Emanuel

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
« Reply #5 on: 12:53:48 PM / 18-Jul-12 »
I was just at the Atlanta East pull-a-part and they had 8 s12's.  Most were MK2's, and I think one MK1, but all were in pretty good shape, sadly enough.  There was one MK2 at the Atlanta North yard as well.

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline EMAN44

• n00b
« Reply #6 on: 08:00:26 PM / 18-Jul-12 »
Which one is the East Pull A Part?  Is that the one on Buford Hwy?  I used to live in Atlanta, and frequented the Buford Hwy pull a part alot...If the one that I used to go to has 8 S12's, I'll probably find my way down there one of these days...

Emanuel

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
« Reply #7 on: 08:09:00 PM / 18-Jul-12 »
It's a fairly new one it looked like.  I dont remember the road it was on, but it was on the east side of atl on i20.  It's listed on the pull a part site as "atlanta east"

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline anthony92stevens

« Reply #8 on: 09:08:43 PM / 18-Jul-12 »
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to do some more calling around before I drive 3 hours. I have time anyway, I'm waiting on my coils.I might go ahead and do the rears at the same time, if I can fund it.
« Last Edit: 09:09:35 PM / 18-Jul-12 by anthony92stevens »

Offline anthony92stevens

« Reply #9 on: 11:32:32 AM / 22-Jul-12 »
Schweet found a performance shop to sell me KYB AGXs for cheap ($200) AND found a guy that goes to Atlanta once a month for the pain clinic. Haha Turns out he goes right past the North Atl PAP.

That's in a 510. And it's very similar to what I had in mind in the ways of ITB's. The only thing that has me worried is reliability.
Post Merge
Scratch the AGXs I just got a full set of GR2s with Eibach Sportlines on them. Supposedly 7k miles. Guy asked $200 for the full set, which I thought was low until I rolled up on his house. Z32, S2K, 2 vert s13s, and a Land Rover. He wasn't hurting for money, he just wanted them gone. I got him down to $150. The Springs alone are worth at least $200, used. So next Thursday, Ill be about 2in. inches lower.
« Last Edit: 02:47:14 PM / 22-Jul-12 by anthony92stevens »

Offline anthony92stevens

« Reply #10 on: 12:47:46 PM / 29-Jul-12 »
PANIC MODE ACTIVATED! Those GR2s dont fit correctly, the top mounts are offset! Preventing the wheels from turning.

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #11 on: 02:51:45 PM / 31-Jul-12 »
Are they S13 springs? You cannot find S13 stock diameter front springs in an S12 shocktower. You will need some kind of weld on coilover, or just bite the bullet and buy S13 front coils.

-dan

ps - Or become a baller and cut out the shock tower sheet metal, and then tube the front end of your car.