Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gt wing  (Read 6681 times)

Offline 1987VG30E

Facebook Share    

*signature image removed for size restriction violation*

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 2000 BMW 5 Series
  • I Like Gay Girls
Re: Gt wing
« Reply #1 on: 01:18:47 PM / 16-Jul-12 »
Before I answer that, why do you want a GT wing?
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline 1987VG30E

« Reply #2 on: 01:28:25 PM / 16-Jul-12 »
ehhh they have always interested me, i just want to know what it looks like, ive seen a pic of a 200 with one on google but i cant find it anymore.
*signature image removed for size restriction violation*

Offline kelso840

« Reply #3 on: 04:58:14 PM / 16-Jul-12 »
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=7830.0

First picture of the sixth post is kinda close. Stumbled upon it yesterday and thought, why?
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #4 on: 05:26:43 PM / 16-Jul-12 »
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=7830.0

First picture of the sixth post is kinda close. Stumbled upon it yesterday and thought, why?
Because racecar.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.

Offline I_heart_VVL

• ✄-------
« Reply #5 on: 06:41:43 PM / 16-Jul-12 »
hello 2001
1987 SE V6 - Gone
2004 Mazda RX8 GT - Gone
2003 Subaru WRX - Gone
1997 Mazda Miata - SOLD!
2003 Nissan 350Z - Gone
1989 RHD RB25 S13 - Gone, thank god
1989 two tone SR coupe because s12s are dumb

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #6 on: 07:04:57 PM / 16-Jul-12 »
I know its a facebook link, but its the only place it exists.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536264_288388047902133_1668345557_n.jpg

-dan

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #7 on: 11:55:54 PM / 16-Jul-12 »
Because racecar.

You say this sarcastically, but there is a guy who legitimately road raced his CA20E+T notchback... his name was Chris and it had a spoiler for functional reasons, and it didn't look half bad. He sold the car to Sterling but Sterling removed the spoiler.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #8 on: 12:06:02 AM / 17-Jul-12 »
You say this sarcastically, but there is a guy who legitimately road raced his CA20E+T notchback... his name was Chris and it had a spoiler for functional reasons, and it didn't look half bad. He sold the car to Sterling but Sterling removed the spoiler.
Yeah, but it wasn't that Radracer guy with the Takumi avatar was it? I mean that's an auto cone-filter hood-pin notch with odd wheels.

I'm all for GT wings on cars for the purpose of functionality. But most people don't use them for function. Especially not ebay wings.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #9 on: 12:16:45 AM / 17-Jul-12 »
No it was a guy named Chris... Radracer is my buddy Marvin, and frankly, the spoiler looked strangely good on both cars (both of which were notchbacks, incidentally). Marvin ultimately removed it from his car because the local po-po kept harassing him, and like I said, Sterling pulled the one off the CA20E+T car because he thought it was a bit too rice for his tastes.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #10 on: 12:19:25 AM / 17-Jul-12 »
Well the cops and Sterling certainly understand where I'm coming from.

Again, I'm a function over form guy and I prefer subtle things like deck spoilers. (Like the one on the MkII S12 or the Z31 wing) GT Wings can generate respectable downforce and that's great if you want to use it. My plans never involve the need so I prefer subtle things.

Offline Rallymodeller

• Magically drawn to gravel roads...
  • n00b
« Reply #11 on: 12:23:11 AM / 17-Jul-12 »
Generally speaking, unless you are getting a wing for purely cosmetic reasons, don't bother. In fact, a wing is almost guaranteed to slow you down and kill your mileage. Why? Because that's exactly what they are designed to do.

And if you are getting it for cosmetic reasons, make sure you bolt it on properly, i.e. with Grade 8 bolts, through the decklid and backed by reinforcement plates. I have seen several wings tear off cars due to improper attachment.
Group B Nissan 240RS: It takes real balls to race against turbo AWD road monsters in a carbed, 2WD car from the 70s.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #12 on: 12:23:34 AM / 17-Jul-12 »
Well Chris used it for race purposes... the car was also outfitted with Hoosier road race slicks and the guy seriously tracked it at the local road circuits. As for Marvin... he's always experimented with a little "flair" shall we say but he's now more interested in speed and handling than looks lol
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline Rallymodeller

• Magically drawn to gravel roads...
  • n00b
« Reply #13 on: 12:32:40 AM / 17-Jul-12 »
I have seen properly-used wings generate usable downforce at as little as 40 mph -- some of the SCCA guys use 'em in STS Solo2. But at that angle, it's like attaching an upright 4'x8' sheet of plywood to your rear bumper on the highway.

And as to the tearing off, no shit I almost got hit by one a few years ago when a kid whipped past me in Toronto and a gust of wing caught his bling-wing. I think it must have been held on with sheet-metal screws.

Group B Nissan 240RS: It takes real balls to race against turbo AWD road monsters in a carbed, 2WD car from the 70s.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #14 on: 01:08:03 AM / 17-Jul-12 »
Because that's exactly what they are designed to do.
I agree with the rest of this post, but I take issue with this part. GT Wings are not designed to slow a car down or reduce fuel economy. Those are side effects of what it's designed to do: Generate traction and stability by pushing the car down to counteract body lift at speed.

Car bodies are aerodynamic and generate lift when they move at speed. This lift reduces friction and generally improves fuel economy. However it makes handling tough and dangerous at high speed. So spoilers and wings are added to counteract this, improving stability. However this increases friction which lowers economy as a side effect.

You probably already knew that but I'm getting semantic because that's what I do.

Offline fyneyoungstunna

• S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan S12
« Reply #15 on: 11:12:01 AM / 29-Jul-12 »
Marvin's car was one of the main reasons I bought an s12, and I still hold to : I loved it with that wing. I had a bunch of other pics he sent me of that car.
  I did a few color photoshops of it as well.
    There was a Pic of the Track car on here. I think it still exists in the "lounge" maybe. there are also pics of a 12 with a gt wing int the JDM s12 section.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
« Reply #16 on: 09:37:52 PM / 05-Aug-12 »
I'm soooo glad marvin removed that wing.  Here's a shot of it when we first met in SF about 7-8 years ago

Here is a shot a few months later after he removed it...

« Last Edit: 09:38:38 PM / 05-Aug-12 by Keith »

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #17 on: 01:15:24 AM / 06-Aug-12 »
Hatch > Notch

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #18 on: 12:19:35 AM / 07-Aug-12 »
ok so i'll address this topic but first ill say that wings that are used in road racing to produce downforce have their place and purpose. any wing like the one linked from ebay fails to serve that purpose but wing design and quality are a different topic.

The return of the "GT Wing" in popular car culture is due to drifting. BUT it doesnt take a genius to notice that wings serve NO aerodynamic purpose in drifting. They exist for two reasons. The first and obvious one is for what some people consider style. Especially japanese flair and gamesmenship (one-upsmenship). This is why these wings are seen mostly on Japanese team cars or on cars where the team/driver has put a lot of effort into style. The most recognizable current example would be Daigo Saito's car in FD. The second reason was developed on accident here in america. about 2 years ago in grassroots competitions rear clipping zones on walls (k-rails) were marked by setting cones on top of the wall. Because the judges and crowd cant see a cone behind a wall duh. Guys who had certain wings and ran lines very close to the wall started knocking the cones off. It was seen as very entertaining of course so it grew and a lot of that was done. In todays Pro and ProAm comps those zones are still marked but its with pylons ziptied to the fence above the wall. So instead of knocking them off we just get broken wings or nothing happens and it often even goes unnoticed by the majority of the crowd. The wing thing was starting to die off in drifting but recently the popularity has exploded again (Daigo Saito) and we're even seeing cars being build with purpose GT Wings that are a part of the tube rear end.

Btw cone slapping is still a lot of fun to watch and some guys still run wings just so they can slap cones or zone markers. I prefer to just smack my car into the wall tho. but u have to have a real bumper on ur car to do that. S12s do grazers like champions

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
« Reply #19 on: 11:36:53 AM / 07-Aug-12 »
Leave GT wings where they're suppose to be......ON GT CARS :yes:

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain