[Belgium] S12 - Engine inside :)

Started by XortioN, 04:05:01 AM / 18-Nov-12

Previous topic - Next topic

XortioN

@sideways_s12, thanks. But still a long road ahead!  :angel:

@pakii-afa, Maybe I'll fit it tomorrow. Fitment on the driver side is pretty good, on the passenger side i'll have to cut and adjust a little bit  :thinking:

So what did I do to my S12 this week:

Out with the crossmembers
Out with the interior
Out with the cables and other bits left in the engine bay

Almost ready with my preparations to sandblast the engine bay and get rid of the annoying rust!  :devilsidesmile:

pakii-afa

it does suck that the fitment is bad, for the price id expect little issues, not fitment issues. but then again, it is a replica.

XortioN

True that! But as you said, it's still a mold taken from another GP so mistakes are likely to happen.

So what did I do this weekend:

I removed the gas tank

Painted the brake booster

Also did a road trip of 400km for some parts, but well worth the drive!
- ACL bearings
- Refurbished T28 turbo
- HKS filter
- APEXI S13 intercooler
- S13 engine dampers (not in the pics)

sideways_s12

XortioN

@Sideways, from a friendly Dutch guy trough sxoc.nl forum :)

So what happened the past few days/weeks:

- Bought a welder

- Started my epic journey of weight reduction

- Gave my front subframe a second chance in life

You dirty boy!

And there he was, so fresh and so clean

Made the s12 look badass for a few seconds

Released 4 prisoners from their cage, at least for some days

Enjoyed some Japanese art

Ready for honing!

CA18DET plans:
- New seals
- New oil pump
- New water pump
- New gaskets
- New main & big end bearings (ACL duraglide)
- New head bolts
- New piston rings and oil scraper
- Hone pistons
- Flatten head

And then ofcourse put everything back together :)

DjayS12

How did I missed that thread before? Cool build. It's going to be a very nice car once everything is put together!

see my build thread!

burritomannn

Nice work on the subframe! Keep up the good work

sideways_s12

I was reading on niclub.com you should get the arp rod bolts as well....

XortioN

@DjayS12, thx. Looking forward to putting everything back together  :tongue2:

@Burritomannn, thx

@sideways_s12, thanks for the tip. Do they really make a big difference? I was wondering how these rod bolts are mounted inside the pistons, are they pressed? Or how do you remove/replace them?

Does anyone have any experience with ACL bearings? I have read some horror storries on the internet of wasted crank shafts after putting in ACL bearings. It would have something to do with the fact that ACL only makes them in one size whereas normally they work with color codes to create the right amount of play? Just want to make sure I don't put crap in my engine. On the other hand I always tought ACL was THE brand for quality bearings like ARP is THE brand for bolts. (fyi I was planning on using the Duraglide ACL big ends & main bearings and measuring play with plastigauge).

Arro

I love how truly international our forum is... more than any other forum Ive ever seen for cars! :thumbsup:

ARP anything improves engine stability.

I love your sense of humor... I look forward to more!
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

sideways_s12

Yeah the guys on the site say if you wasn't to make any kind of real power that they are needed. that info prompted me to tell my mechanic last minute to get them....

XortioN

@Arro, true! To be honest I registered here because I thought this was THE S12 forum  :yay!:

@Sideways_s12, Arro, Also the head stud kit or only the rod bolts? :P

XortioN

Meanwhile in Belgium:

Out with the rusted crap

And in with the new metal

Same story on the passenger side

Done

Mhmmm it might have been a liiiiiitle bit crusty

Give the metal some protection

And last but certainly not least, give the engine bay some luuuuuuuvvvvvv

And yes this is one bad ass party tent spray booth ... like a baws  :evillaugh:

I know my build is taking longer than expected .. but I just can't get it over my heart to let a rusty plate stay. It has to be perfect :P

86forever

very good work man! i am digging the wide body!

DjayS12

Nice job, quality build always take longer than expected. Take your time and make sure everything is up to your standard!

see my build thread!

XortioN

@86forever, thx! :)

@Djays12, I just can't stand it when something is left untouched and not perfect  :angel:

This wednesdey I finally did the last steps in prepping the engine bay and did the respray  (Toyota - Ivory White/New White 041 - facelift AE86 color). I knew painting an engine bay wasn't easy but MYYYY GODDD i took ages (3-4 hours of painting). But the result is well worth the effort.

How she sits at this moment:

I also made some random before-after pictures which sure do give an idea of the work/prep that has been put in. She was such a dirty girl nobody would want to stick anything in, but now it's probably cleaner than clean dish :D

Next up:
- Suspension + brakes (S13 swap)
- Engine swap (CA18DET)

sideways_s12

haven't been in here in awhile nice progress and to answer your question get the headstuds and rod bolts if you haven't done so already!

XortioN

Thx for the tip sideways_S12  :yay!:

Small update:

- new brake lines (made them by hand :D)
- cleaned and resprayed some parts (brake booster, whiper engine, ..)
- Installed sub frame (I resprayed half a year ago)

Next up (I hope to finish this by the end of 2013):

- Rebuild brakes (looking for repair kit)
- Rebuild suspension (original S12 probably since the original S13 springs are too wide and the yearly check does not allow tuned springs)
- Build up engine

pakii-afa

i thought the ca18det was a full counted weight crank not just half like the ka24(d)e ?

XortioN

@pakii-afa, uuuuhm is that a good or a bad thing? :D

Time for some update:
- Treathed the wheel wells with some anti-stonechip
- Revised my brakes and gave them some new paint
- New ball joints and outer tie rods
- Repainted the whole suspension + various other bits
- Rebuild the complete suspension (change parts where needed)

Brakes are BLUEEEEEEEEE    :yes:

Well helllooooo there  :angel:

Suspension drivers side, before

As it sits now

Same story on the passenger side (that's the annoying thing about suspension, you have to do everything twice ...   :grumpy: )

After

Enjoyed some coffee to keep me warm (although I can't complain about the temperature for this time of the year)

The complete front view, before

After

Finally after 1 year of hard work, her 4 legs touched the floor again.   :angel:

Next up: Engine rebuild