Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Swap Help?  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Higer025

• n00b
Engine Swap Help?
« on: 11:12:17 PM / 30-Nov-12 »
Hi Guys, I have an old Nissan Silvia S12 from my Grandpa here in the Philippines, and I'm having a hard time finding parts for the CA engine.

Now, I want to swap my CA18DE to RB25DET(we found an importer),

Of course, I've read some post too... most of them are saying "If you got enough money", "cutting this and that... for something to fit" and "need for new parts to fit it (mostly transmission)"...

My concern is (sorry I'm a newbie :( at car engine swaps),

What would be the:
  • services required (like cutting this and rebuilding that...),
  • modifications in the chassis (where parts wont fit),
  • new parts (like radiators, turbo ans stuff, and from what cars? >.<)
  • estimated time frame for this project (I don't need it be rushed, it is just my father's concern)

I appreciate any help, I'm looking forward to learn too from your help posts too :))

Facebook Share    

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Re: Engine Swap Help?
« Reply #1 on: 12:11:01 AM / 01-Dec-12 »
Seriously, if you are asking these kinds of questions, and you aren't willing to fork over ridiculous amounts of money to a shop, then this isn't the swap for you. Sell the engine to someone who has swap experience. Lots of swap experience.

I also tend to think that when you rely on money and other people to do the work for you, you are inadvertently subject to their biases about how to do things. In the end, all you tend to know is what you've read and been told, and not what you have actually done.

Swapping a motor set that requires little modification is still a major undertaking for an inexperienced person. Trying something as custom as an RB without experience, or lots of money and friends who have lots of custom engine experience would be a mistake IMO. You've already picked up on this opinion elsewhere in this site. People don't say this without good reason.

Start with an SR20DET swap, because it requires only simple modifications. Learn to weld (building an exhaust is one good way to practice), and learn more about wiring and tuning before you try something exotic like this (hence the name of this forum section).
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Higer025

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: 03:44:27 AM / 01-Dec-12 »
This was my first post (I haven't post anything yet around the site yet ^.^), and I think you're right, the RB engine is too complex to install. I also like the SR20DET too (this is my first choice) but, the only reason I'm not into that engine is that, the importer is out of stock (they'll re stock again in maybe, 5 months ). Here in PH, we need to register this car before Jan. 2013, and by that we're forced to pick the RB engine, because (it is one of the last engines in the shop besides the VQ23DE (from Nissan Teana) and VQ40DE (Nissan Frontier) ).

Although, The shop owners (they're not my friend or any kind of relationship) are willing to install the engine (if we buy it). Of course it is an awkward give away, that's why I really don't want to be left out and I want to know at least the basic things that I really must know about engine swapping (to prevent scam in parts by reassembly).

Also, It is my high school savings, I'm spending, that's why I don't want to be confused in parts...

I am really sorry, if I didn't clearly stated what is really my intention and the conditions for the swapping...

they also told me, that they have engine swapping exp. but am really not sure why do they offer the service for free :(

that's why I'm kinda asking for some guidance in what to know in engine swapping.

(I also want to know where parts are gonna get cut, because I'm afraid that if the engine doesn't fit, they might force it to fit)

Thanks for the advise though :)

Offline BattleFairy

« Reply #3 on: 07:13:40 AM / 01-Dec-12 »
nahhh swaping an RB isnt that hard with abit common sense, the electronic will be a bitch but its doable.
You will run in small problems like how to fit an radiator or that you have to cut your oilpan in order to use a front swaybar. also you will have to find out how to make the Tach work.

Lift the car and install the Engine from below, or you will find yourself in the position that you have to cut the hood support to install it.
Iam guess that Phillipin cars are righthandsteering? if so youve luck and the most aftermarket exhaust parts like elbow and downpipe will fit. If not, you already can start to learn weld cause you will need an custom elbow/downpipe.
Abandon all Hope
Project: Battle Fairy
Now, I won't be a dick like Battlefairy was.......

Offline Higer025

• n00b
« Reply #4 on: 10:34:01 AM / 01-Dec-12 »
yes we are right hand drive here in the PH and hopefully there is a good aftermarket  oilpan (welders here in ph are not that good (not bragging) in welding that kind of stuff, it might rust or fell off :( )

thank you for the advice though :)) now I know what parts they will cut off and why :)

Offline BattleFairy

« Reply #5 on: 11:26:21 AM / 02-Dec-12 »
Um they shouldnt cut anything :woow: except the oilpan........or drive without front swaybar like the rest :laugh:
if you find a simpel solution for the swaybar, post it!
Abandon all Hope
Project: Battle Fairy
Now, I won't be a dick like Battlefairy was.......

Offline Higer025

• n00b
« Reply #6 on: 01:08:09 PM / 02-Dec-12 »
ok got it :D

say, I got something here (sorry I cant recall where I originally got it, but hopefully it helps other users)

1986 Nissan 200SX Circuit Diagram

http://i.imgur.com/k811r.gif