Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goodbye, IS300. Hi, Dodge SRT-4 :)  (Read 7225 times)

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
Re: Goodbye, IS300. Hi, Dodge SRT-4 :)
« Reply #20 on: 09:30:16 AM / 25-Dec-12 »
Thanks for clarifying...i knew most of that at one time, but had forgotten most of it, obviously, lol
When i said the z06 is typical gm crap, i was referring to the build quality, not the performance aspect of it. The LS6 is bad ass, and the z06 platform all together make a pretty potent track car, especially when modded.  The gm crap quality comes in with the plastic cheapness of the interior, and the fit/ finish of body panels, ride quality on the street, etc but again i got it to use on the track, and will eventually will be turned into a fully prepped track car.  Maybe i have been spoiled by bmw, as there is no way i could daily drive the z. After 2 days of daily driving, i find myself slipping behind the wheel of the m6 on the 3rd day....lol

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline Nick_W

« Reply #21 on: 02:21:38 PM / 26-Dec-12 »
Hey, I respect your decision to buy this car and for the reasons you stated.  That's what I meant when I said it was better than my  s12.

When I drove that neon, it was an 01, i dfidn't have a feel for the car, and the first time driving it was on a scary road, that I didn't know, with fog and crazy-fast-angry drivers behind me wanting to go 60+ on a road with a vertical cliff above and and major dropoff into a river below.  The steering had a weird play in it that made me almost shit myself like 10 times on that drive, and the gearbox felt like it had sand in it..

So not exactly the best conditions for any car, I also have more experience with different cars nowadays, and your car I'm sure is a helluvalot nicer than the one I drove. 

No haterade here, lol.
Congrats! I've never driven an srt-4, however did drive a Turbo PT cruiser, which is amazingly similar..lol,

Quote from: Maxpow
Its like he is playing forza with his life.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #22 on: 10:31:33 PM / 26-Dec-12 »
LOL... neither of you are correct. Not by a longshot. Keith I'll respond directly at the end.  I doubt Jason will read this, he never likes to read my informative posts (his loss lol). Jason you can skip to the end for the summary ;)

"Shelby Dodge" is actually 80's and early 90'a turbocharged Chryslers. The early ones were Dodge cars (such as the Omni) that after production were shipped directly to Carroll Shelby's "Skunkworks" shop in Whittier, California. There, they bolted on turbos, special computers, and later intercoolers. Then they badged them as Shelby cars and sent them directly to dealership showrooms. When you bought one, you were buying a Shelby make, and the registration reflected that. They were badged "Shelby Dodge". In 1987, Chrysler asked to purchase the designs from Carroll Shelby and he agree. Chrysler then produced their own slightly more internally-solid versions called "Dodge Shelby". They also produced a wide variety of cars with lesser version of the turbo e fine family that Shelby had essentially created. This was the 2.2/2.5L Turbo Chrysler legacy.

In the heyday of this Turbo Chrysler era, Chrysler decided to diversify by also working alongside of Mitsubishi. Chrysler's first venture with Mitsu was the Station/Conquest. Chrysler agreed to design the visuals for Mitsubishi who in turn supplied the powertrain and suspension designs.

This collaboration began in 1987, and concluded in 1989. It transitioned during 1988 when Diamond Star Motor Corporation was commissioned by Chrysler and Mitsubishi to design a car using existing tech. The result were the first-generation DSM's. Diamond Star Motor Corp. took two different Mitsu powerplants and designed a completely new chassis. These cars were produced in the DSM plant in Normal, IL up until 1996. The second generation DSM began in 1995 with a new chassis featuring double control arm front suspension and a stiffer unibody. In late 1995, Mitsubishi purchased the licensing and production rights of the second generation "DSM" cars, and since 1996 and on these were solely built by Mitsubishi in a Mitsubishi plant. While only the first gen and 1995 second gen cars feature the "DSM" firewall plaque (1996 and on feature "Mitsubishi" plaque), the Mitsu-pruduced cars (until 1999) are still generally recognized as "DSM" because the design is the same.

NOW.... the true, 100% American-designed and built Chrysler Turbo legacy was retired in 1993, in favor of non-turbo 4 and 6 cylinder engines that were expected to be less problematic (think: requiring less care by otherwise neglectful owners). Within these ranks of new cars was the Dodge Neon in its first generation. It featured a 2.0L SOHC and DOHC engine that was very closely related to the 2.2/2.5L preceding engines, and in fact some Chrysler Turbo/Shelby Dodge tuners have managed to fit the 2.0L DOHC head from a Neon onto a 2.2 or 2.5L legacy turbo engine (with amazing power results).

The Neon had an R/T version, and generally the chassis was accepted in the SCCA competition world as competent and even competitive... so much so that the SCCA classifications were later altered to place the Neon in a different category after it had consistently won in its initial class. The Neon ACR was a stripped-down competition version designed with this very thought in mind... no radio, no A/C, no spoiler, no foglights, etc.

Second Gen Neon was a little bit heavier but had a surprisingly rigid chassis for a car in its class. The mid-generation revision in 2003 also saw the return of the Turbo Dodge with the SRT-4. As with Shelby Dodge of old, these were not badged as "Neon" but just as "Dodge SRT-4". It was a Neon chassis with different (better) suspension, bigger wheels, much bigger brakes, and a very potent (and very undertuned and overbuilt) 2.4L turbocharged engine based on a previous 2.4L turbo engine sold in other parts of the world (such as Mexico in the Phantom R/T).

The SRT-4 revives the previously lost line of crazy but potent Turbo Dodge cars (and minivans lol) in the 80's. I feel it does so properly. But it in no way has any connection to the Starion/Conquest, or DSM's, neither of which really have a direct connection to each other, either.

First: Shelby Dodge, then Dodge Shelby and Chrysler Turbo.

Second: Starion/Conquest (Chrysler looks and Mitsu engineering)

Third: DSM (Chrysler and Mitsu through Diamond Star Motor Corp.)

Fourth: Neons fill the gap

Fifth: Second Gen Neon reborn into Dodge SRT-4, bringing the domestic-designed turbocar back to the market and restoring Chrysler's place among sport compacts.

If you like the Omni GLH then you should like the Neon SRT-4 and Caliber SRT-4 for the same reasons, because they are intended to serve the exact same purpose. If anything, the Omni was way more ugly. Oh and a piece of trivia... "GLH" was Carroll Shelby's joke... it stood for "Goes Like Hell". The GLH was just a high-output carbed 2.2L engine. The GHL-T was turbocharged, and the GLHS was turbo intercooled. GLHS meant "Goes Like Heall Some more. Shelby had a sense of humor.

The Vette... you put it down needlessly. Yes, it's not perfect. But it has some serious design strengths with the drivetrain for example, and the engine is nothing to scoff at. It's not designed with German precision with fit and finish. But mechanically it's sound and competent.

Blah blah Blah i knew most of it but i know nothing about the shelby dodge so that point I wasn't sure on either congrats on the pick up maybe when you finally decide to come to vgas youll bring it and take me for a ride *pause* never ridden in an srt4 before....

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #23 on: 05:49:01 PM / 02-Jan-13 »
It needs a few things... has a minor oil leak which I'll have to sort out, and I need to change the oil. Has a tiny power steering rack sensor that needs to be replaced but I already bought it. Gonna try to do that in a few mins. Needs an alignment, mostly in the rear. Otherwise it starts up and purrs.... shifts a little hard. Apparently that's the shift fork. Replacing that with an aftermarket option solves it. It doesn't grind gears, but if it does that third gear grind later on, there's a very simple fix that just requires me to remove a panel on the top of the trans and replace one small piece. Otherwise this car is fine.

It's been a couple weeks or so now since I've taken possession of it... do I miss the IS300? There's a twin of the one I had in the next street over in my neighborhood. Clean, same color. I don't miss it much. And when I think of which I prefer, there's no question it's the SRT-4. It rides just as nice, it's very comfortable, and it's way more fun to drive. It gets more notice, if that sort of thing matters. Brakes are a bit smaller than the IS300 but larger than a normal Neon... and plenty for the chassis weight. Seats are WAY better than the IS300 if not power, then in terms of the way they hold you in. IS300 seats were great, but the SRT-4 has modified versions of the Viper seats and they are AMAZING to sit in. Not so fun to get in and out of, but once seated they are a dream come true.

Definitely no regrets. Even if it blows up tomorrow. I'm stuck with it and committed. I married it for life. It's or mine :P

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline silverarrow27

• Nissan Freak
« Reply #24 on: 12:05:04 AM / 03-Jan-13 »
Congrats on the SRT-4, raced a few at the drag strip before and they are no joke with a good driver. Though, I've never lost to one yet I'm still weary of pulling up next to one.

I myself joined the ranks of fwd turbo recently. I've owned my 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo for the last 3 months now and so far so good. My first ever Korean car, there's a few things that can be improved on and car definitely needs a better tune for better power delivery.
2013 Veloster Turbo Base
2007 Versa SL
1989 240sx XE

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #25 on: 12:09:46 AM / 03-Jan-13 »
Interesting choice, I do like the visual design of that car... cars can be retuned but then for a DD, who wants to do that, right?

All my car has is an intake. I might turn up the boost a couple PSI but otherwise I have no interest in tuning this thing.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline silverarrow27

• Nissan Freak
« Reply #26 on: 01:03:42 AM / 03-Jan-13 »
Exactly, we are on the same page. This car is my daily driver and I will be keeping it mostly stock. I get even better gas mileage compared to my Versa that I gave to my parents. I've been thinking about lowering it on coilovers and a set of aftermarket wheels and that's as far as I'll go with mods. Been eyeing a set of SSR MS1s.
2013 Veloster Turbo Base
2007 Versa SL
1989 240sx XE

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #27 on: 01:18:25 AM / 03-Jan-13 »
Methinks coilovers would be overkill when cheapo lowering springs would do the job. Or go proper with some ProKits because they have the progressive rates for a better ride. It's what I plan to do, it's not like I plan on tracking it.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline Redneck

« Reply #28 on: 08:30:56 PM / 03-Jan-13 »
Methinks coilovers would be overkill when cheapo lowering springs would do the job. Or go proper with some ProKits because they have the progressive rates for a better ride. It's what I plan to do, it's not like I plan on tracking it.

Agreed. Coilovers are a good way to go if you wanna slam your car but other then that they really don't really have any big advantages unless your tracking it all the time. For a daily driver the spring rates most coilovers use are way to stiff for any kind of comfort on rougher roads. I debated for a long time which way to go when I had my s13 and finally settled on swift springs and koni shocks. I was really happy I did as the ride was pretty comfortable yet felt so much better then the stock shocks and springs they replaced. I also tracked my s13 many times with the swift/konis combo and while being a little on the softer side I had no problems at all shifting the weight of the car while drifting on transitions.

Btw congrats on the purchase of your Neon on steroids haha. Hopefully it serves you well.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #29 on: 07:36:58 PM / 04-Jan-13 »
Congrats! I've never driven an srt-4, however did drive a Turbo PT cruiser, which is amazingly similar..lol, So I imagine its numbers aren't far off the Neon. I was impressed to say the least. In my mind though, It's still a Chrysler and I wouldn't own it. enough of my opinions.

You said no interest in tuning. C'mon man! You've wanted one for how long and you're gonna leave it just about stock? the Tuning bug is gonna get you eventually.
« Last Edit: 07:38:28 PM / 04-Jan-13 by Jsvob03 »

Offline Nick_W

« Reply #30 on: 08:35:58 PM / 28-Jan-13 »
Congrats! I've never driven an srt-4, however did drive a Turbo PT cruiser, which is amazingly similar..lol,

Hahahahahahha...

my mom owns a turbo'd pt cruiser

sorry. lol

Quote from: Maxpow
Its like he is playing forza with his life.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #31 on: 01:55:34 PM / 26-Feb-13 »
Turbo PT is nothing to shy at, it's a great little car. Especially if you're lucky enough to find a convertible 2-door version in turbo. I've ridden in one of those, and wow, a lot of fun. BUT...

The SRT-4 is faster and more nimble than the turbo PT... but it's also something different. It's more than just a turbo engine in a Neon. This just came up recently on a second gen Neon site, where a guy was complaining about how SRT-4's were holding their value and he wanted to find one for less money... I had this to say:

Quote from: Arro
This isn't just a Neon with more horsepower and a few hop-ups you are talking about. The manufacturer went to great lengths to set this apart from the rest of the Neon platform. Even the name "Neon" is absent from the registration and badging. Now don't get me wrong, I have no elitist illusions that this is NOT a Neon. But I'm saying that the manufacturer put this out as a very special edition car. A limited edition. One that isn't just a few trim parts, but an entirely overhauled powertrain designed to place this car into an immediately competitive role in racing. No matter what criticisms or ideas for improvements that enthusiasts and critics may come up with, it's clear that this was meant for an entirely different role than the rest of the Neon "economy" car line. In this, it reminds me of how musclecars were born out of slow, ugly chassis... given a special, ridiculously beefy engine, nicer wheels, badging, etc. Chrysler and every other car manufacturer has been doing that for many decades. Nobody would consider a Charger Daytona to be just a "Charger with a tall spoiler". It's something entirely different, and has a race and cultural legacy set apart from the rest of the Charger namesake. The first SRT-4 is the Charger Daytona of its time.

That adds the collectability factor to the low supply and high demand that you're seeing. All my changes to my own SRT-4 will be minor so I can always restore it to a "factory original" point. Down the line, I do believe these will be the right sort of novelty that nets them higher value and respect in what will be tomorrow's classic car shows and classic car market... whereas a "regular" Neon won't nearly be able to compete with it in either respect.

And as it was previously stated, they're getting harder and harder to find. Every time I see one parted out, or I read about one online that is totaled... or I see one get bling-tabulously modified to stage umpteen-million with "show car" looks... I cringe. And this is why... decreasing opportunities to get a clean, unmolested one, and as the years go by, the desirability as a "classic" will be for an original car, not a riced (or wheated if you prefer lol) out one.

So I don't plan to do much more than I've done already. It's plenty fast as it is! And it handles really damn well on stock suspension, with original (read as: worn and tired) struts, springs, and bushings. Freshening up the suspension with new rubber and *maybe* some modest springs will do wonders. A boost controller to go from 12 to 15 psi will also squeeze me out a bit more power. The rest is just enjoyment.

-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo