Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Here's Your Chance To Improve The Site  (Read 11933 times)

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
Re: Here's Your Chance To Improve The Site
« Reply #20 on: 11:41:44 PM / 04-Jul-13 »
the hole photobucket upload then post on forum gets annoying after a while.
If you use your mobile device for most of your picture taking, you can now post images directly from your phone using Tapatalk.  Just install the tapatalk app and search for Club-S12.org.
~xano

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 12:30:23 AM / 05-Jul-13 »
I have added the Show unread posts since last visit and show new replies to your posts links to the bottom of the page as well as the top now.
~xano

Offline iceageg

« Reply #22 on: 06:08:00 AM / 05-Jul-13 »
I am on my phone now and living this!
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 01:48:03 PM / 05-Jul-13 »
Holy crap! Because I've subscribed to this thread, it showed your response in my notification bar like a text message or email would show up.
~xano

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #24 on: 06:31:38 PM / 05-Jul-13 »
you have to pay for tapatalk tho don't you?

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #25 on: 06:46:46 PM / 05-Jul-13 »
Nope, it's free, at least on android.  They do have like a plus version or something, but I'm not entirely certain why its needed.  And from a forum admin perspective, its free to use, and may even generate revenue for us in some way (yet to be determined)
~xano

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #26 on: 08:00:50 PM / 05-Jul-13 »
I'll have to check it out then...

Offline Romero

« Reply #27 on: 12:48:57 AM / 06-Jul-13 »
i dunno if this has been mentioned but when i was on a suby forum one of the legacy ones they had this global map of all the members....that'd be cool if we had one

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #28 on: 01:39:58 AM / 06-Jul-13 »
i dunno if this has been mentioned but when i was on a suby forum one of the legacy ones they had this global map of all the members....that'd be cool if we had one
That was actually tried quite a while in the past.  I could see about maybe getting it going again.  Unfortunately that's all up to you guys to tag yourselves into the maps and things, so how popular and filled in it is would be dependent on how many of you go onto it and add yourselves.
~xano

Offline Redneck

« Reply #29 on: 06:25:57 PM / 06-Jul-13 »
Essentially, what I want are some ideas thrown out of what I could Add/Change/Fix/Remove that would make you want to visit the site even more, or post more, or be more active.  I know I'm potentially opening pandora's box here, but I'd rather do that and find out that some minor bug has been driving people up a wall.  It's either that, or let these little annoyances drive away people.  I think the internet has changed since this site was created, and people no longer visit forums as much as they once did.  I'd like to see what we can do to change that.

Honestly I don't think it is little site bug annoyances that have driven people away. This place was so much more active in the old days and that was with the much more basic old site layout. After the new current site layout was introduced it seemed like a few of the well known active old school members were banned or punished because they didn't have kind words for the new layout. In the old days there was less moderation and when people can more bluntly speak their minds they are more likely to post and be active. With the new site layout came a new era of more stringent moderation that, in my opinion, turned off especially veteran members that had gotten used to a more relaxed moderation tone. It didn't happen over night but over the subsequent months and years a lot of the veteran members became less and less active (myself included).

Fast forward to today and it seems like we are mostly left with the newer members that are not really going to be as interested in being active on the site as a community. They often just want to find info in old tech threads or make technical question posts and thats about it. Now that most of the old school members of club s12 are inactive or gone there is not much left in terms of an active community. I was pretty vocal about the heavier moderation at the time that was really turning off especially veteran cs12 members years ago but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I am not at all shocked at the results that are the reality of today, especially with s12silvia at the time becoming an alternative s12 forum for disgruntled cs12 members to go to.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #30 on: 11:17:11 PM / 06-Jul-13 »
Redneck, we've banned exactly 3 frequent posters.  Jeffwins24, Asparagus, and Caraudiofoolery.   The first was a troll, no one can deny that.  The second one was prior to my time as a moderator or admin.  And the third one was due to constant insults thrown at moderators and admins, as well as other members on the forum.  No one else has been banned.  No one was "punished" for any comments on the layout, EVER.  I've ALWAYS outright said to give me input at every step of the way, and used that to improve in whatever ways I can.  In all honesty, we're more active than we ever were during the version 2 days (red and tan layout) even today, but slightly less active than we were in version 3 days (previous one just before this one).  And I don't recall the posts you speak of where you were vocal about not liking the new layout.  PM me a link to those posts so I can refresh my memory on your specific complaints about what you didn't like about the theme/site changes specifically.

As for more stringent moderation, we have been more strict, in the case of the WTS threads.  We've been more strict than back in version 2 when there was very very little active administration or moderation at ALL.  But that's a different conversation as well, because lawlessness wasn't fostering a good community anyway.

On the topic of S12silvia, it's never been "an alternative", it's a different site with a different purpose and direction.  You talk about it as though people can only use one, when people can and do go to BOTH sites regularly.

And, not to seem "too strict" but that is not what this topic is for discussing.  This topic is for people to give suggestions to us, suggestions that they'd like to see happen on the site.  (Notice, I'm not punishing you, just informing you that I want this thread to be for suggestions)
« Last Edit: 11:18:10 PM / 06-Jul-13 by Xano »
~xano

Offline donintampa

• n00b
« Reply #31 on: 12:41:23 AM / 07-Jul-13 »
I'm one of the new guys here interested mostly in the how-to repair aspects of my latest problem or improvement plan. I've made a few contacts here and they have been quite helpful, but mostly, I poke around on my own trying to figure things out.  This site is overly complicated.  

I find the site very difficult to search for specific repair procedures without reading page after page of useless posts.  I think this is because of the low number of sticky posts at the top of any given category combined with an almost non-existent FAQ  for any given category.  

The inability to search here productivly leads me to Google FIRST, which sometimes brings me here, but more often to European and especially Australian sites, your Facebook entity and YouTube... those being smaller, always less complete but better organized and easily searchable.  

I have put in my thousand hours reading posts here, of which maybe five percent are helpful and one percent are absolutely priceless... if you happen to stumble across them.  Even though I am quite sure this site contains the greatest overall information, it is tuff to find what you want when you need it.   An FAQ in all categories and more stickey posts with major information would help a lot in my opinion.

Second:
     If the map of member locations is too complicated, would searching for members by city or state be possible?  Those of us in the s-12 "boondocks" would find that helpful. 

Third:

The Garage...   Whatsupwiththat?   How is THAT  laid out?  It looks like it is the most fun of all if you could just scroll through it instead of a never ending list.  It's very confusing to me. 

Fourth: Why does selecting "updated" to see the latest post in a thread bring you to the first post in the thread which may be ten pages away from the latest post?  Frustrating!

All on all, a lot of great information in search of better organization to improve the search function. Good luck in your efforts.  I hope you find my newbie look at the site and resulting confusion helpful in your improvment plans. 

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #32 on: 01:43:29 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
Hi Donintampa.  The FAQ idea has actually been something that has been in progress for a while.   We're slowly creating a tree structure where you select your year model/engine and component (ie suspension) and it'll have a bunch of helpful pages for that part of the car.

As for the search, there are actually two search functions here.  One is the built in SMF search that comes up when you click search at the top, and the other is the google custom search field near the shoutbox.  I've included both to try to give as many search options as possible, as unfortunately there really is no good way to "improve" on a search system.

As was noted earlier, I will be investigating stickying more topics.  I'll most likely start a new thread for people to post links to topics they think should be stickied.

As for the map, it's not that it's too complicated, it's just up to you guys to add yourselves.  If only 10 people add themselves, then it wouldn't be very useful.  Also on location searching, I can see what I can come up with.  The downfall is again, that field relies on you all to type in whatever you want in that field, so the location may not be written in the same way by each person.  I could make it a postal code/international post code equivalent field, but there is no standardized international post code, so other countries would be left out.  Since this is the international site, we try to avoid changes that would exclude other countries.

On the topic of the Updated button, I will definitely look into that.  It could be that I overlooked that during theme creation.  That link is also dependant on you having already visited the thread once before.  I'd also like to add a first post link under the "re: topic title" link off to the right, as I personally click that too often and then have to go back to the first post.

On the garage, it's a huge set of software, but I can see if that feature exists in it and make it more prominent.

Thanks for your input!  I hope my comments help explain some things on the stuff I cant really do much about!
« Last Edit: 01:45:26 PM / 07-Jul-13 by Xano »
~xano

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #33 on: 02:30:00 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
The only search I see is between help & profile. Where's the 2nd one.
I agree more stickies would be helpful to help decrease reading time- but the more you read, the more you learn - what may be junk to me could be gold for you.
I have thoroughly enjoyed this club in my short 2 year membership.  I know more about my car in 2 years than I did the previous 23. I feel I have also been able to help fellow S12 owners which is satisfying for me. I have also made several "virtual friends" and even had one stay with me for a couple days.  The club is a nice place for me to escape to for a few minutes a day and see what you all are up to.
Thanks for all you do and keep up the good work!

Offline donintampa

• n00b
« Reply #34 on: 02:37:40 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
Thanks for your thoughtful reply.   I really like the FAQ "tree" idea.   That may well make the increase in stickey posts unnecessary.   I know that in big projects like this many things are fixed and unchangeable. Nice to see a fresh look being taken as to what can be improved.

Offline ne2rk

« Reply #35 on: 04:33:47 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
a sticky'ed sticky thread! haha

@rednucleus your really missing out. :) you need to figure out why you can't see that google custom search. its awesome. its a little box on top right of clubs12

I like both search's. the google custom search is easyer on the eyes for me and i seem to find info faster. the older search is still great but i only use it when i can't find the google custom search. I have noticed that the google custom search on the top right side don't always show up on my pc's. maybee i need to clean my cookies or history or something like that. It always shows up on my linux computer but not on my windows computer. It shows up on my office's win7 computer but not my win7 garage computer. im sure this is my fault because im lazy and need to redo my computer. It shows up on when i have a fresh install of windows7 but after few months of beating on my computer it no longer shows up. i just deal with that.

@donitampa i couldn't have said that better myself. "it is tuff to find what you want when you need it" that is so true.

"I have put in my thousand hours reading posts here, of which maybe five percent are helpful and one percent are absolutely priceless... if you happen to stumble across them.  Even though I am quite sure this site contains the greatest overall information, it is tuff to find what you want when you need it.   An FAQ in all categories and more stickey posts with major information would help a lot in my opinion." -donintampa
3/86 s12 ca20e silvertop 5spd hatch
85 s12 ca20e blacktop auto hatch
96 d21 ka24e 5spd ext cab

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #36 on: 04:53:14 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
That's where it normally shows up (that's from IE10).  I'll test it out on a handful of other browsers to see what may make it not show up.

~xano

Offline donintampa

• n00b
« Reply #37 on: 06:45:02 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
The google search shows on windows xp and seven using chrome or explorer.  It shows in safari using the latest mountain lion update. I think you have to log in first... Not just go to the site.

IT DOES NOT SHOW on my iPad (first model) or on my iPod touch (latest model and software). 

Hope this helps.

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #38 on: 08:27:00 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
Definitely helps, however, no one cares about apple users. :P Kidding, I'll look for an iOS emulator to test it on.
~xano

Offline donintampa

• n00b
« Reply #39 on: 08:48:14 PM / 07-Jul-13 »
Apple-haters gotta hate, I guess...  :-)    I downloaded the Chrome app for iPad and the top third of the google search icon shows up but does not function.  The bottom two-thirds seem to be covered up by something the same color as the background.