Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Common for lifter tick?  (Read 6757 times)

Offline turboturtle

Common for lifter tick?
« on: 04:02:04 PM / 01-Sep-13 »
Are these ca18et common for lifter tick?
my car has just a little over 44,000 on it and it just started to tick.
are they hydralic lifters? maybe ones stuck?

Facebook Share    

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
Re: Common for lifter tick?
« Reply #1 on: 05:04:46 PM / 01-Sep-13 »
have you done an oil change? If not try using thicker oil. If you have then they may just need to be adjusted and they are mechanical lifters iirc
Post Merge
Welcome btw!
Post Merge
oh and please loose the bra lol but seriously that thing is hideous.
« Last Edit: 05:05:41 PM / 01-Sep-13 by sideways_s12 »

Offline slammedcoupe

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: 10:41:54 AM / 02-Sep-13 »
not trying to thread jack, but i just did an oilchange with 5w30. and started hearing some lifter tick!

are the lifters manual adjust? or should i just throw some 10w30 in next change?

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
« Reply #3 on: 11:11:19 AM / 02-Sep-13 »
All MK1 CA20 (black valve cover) and all CA18 are mechanical lifters, only the silver valve cover CA20 got hydraulic lifters.
So the lifters probably just need adjusting.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline turboturtle

« Reply #4 on: 01:44:56 PM / 02-Sep-13 »
JUST did an oil change last thursday.. with Synthetic 5w30
Post Merge
have you done an oil change? If not try using thicker oil. If you have then they may just need to be adjusted and they are mechanical lifters iirc
Post Merge
Welcome btw!
Post Merge
oh and please loose the bra lol but seriously that thing is hideous.
same i was thinking about the bra LMAO
« Last Edit: 01:47:10 PM / 02-Sep-13 by turboturtle »

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 09:17:11 PM / 02-Sep-13 »
then adjust the lfters

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #6 on: 07:01:37 AM / 03-Sep-13 »
Holy Cow! Where did you get an S-12 with so little mileage??? Looks great! Only bra I've seen besides mine.
Yes, mechanical lifters, if you adjust be careful to do it precisely. It would be better to live with some tick than to over adjust and burn some valves. Ticking won't hurt a thing, that's why you have a stereo. As I recall, Nissan recommends replacing the timing belt around 35k miles or so, good time to also adjust the valve lash. Get an old-school timing wheel to do it, or use a dial indicator.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #7 on: 03:12:06 PM / 03-Sep-13 »
wow cajun i dont think he needs to use the timing wheel it says right in the manual that all he needs to do is put the number 1 cylinder at TDC then adjust certain valves it tells you too then put number 4 cylinder at TDC and adjust the rest, that is what i have been doing since i got the car and it works great. now i do have a larger cam so i have more lifter noise than say a stock one but not by a ton.

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #8 on: 06:30:27 PM / 03-Sep-13 »
True that, I am just anal about seeing where I am. I got the eurocam in mine so that may contribute to my tapping also. It's past due for checking, but I'm waiting for cooler weather!

Offline turboturtle

« Reply #9 on: 07:30:18 PM / 03-Sep-13 »
Holy Cow! Where did you get an S-12 with so little mileage??? Looks great! Only bra I've seen besides mine.
Yes, mechanical lifters, if you adjust be careful to do it precisely. It would be better to live with some tick than to over adjust and burn some valves. Ticking won't hurt a thing, that's why you have a stereo. As I recall, Nissan recommends replacing the timing belt around 35k miles or so, good time to also adjust the valve lash. Get an old-school timing wheel to do it, or use a dial indicator.
dought it form the original owner!
It was a weekend car.. Never seen winter was always put in storage... I paid $1050 for NOT RUNNING lol. But it took me two days to get it running. (NEW FUEL PUMP and air filter).

Post Merge
ive checked the timing belt it looks good. but for safety i just ordered it
« Last Edit: 07:35:49 PM / 03-Sep-13 by turboturtle »

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #10 on: 08:28:45 PM / 03-Sep-13 »
nice cajun yeah i have the webcams cam in mine which i know has caused more lifter noise to be present and i to am anal and i like to adjust my valves about every oil change or when i hear them getting louder. as one i dd my car and two i run about 15lbs of boost and autox my car.  i do run a thicker oil 15-50 mobil 1 full synthetic as i run way too rich right now until i get my megasquirt setup fully together as the extra fuel thins out the oil.  but again nice car great find and awesome price on that pristine beast.  what are your plans for the car by the way?

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #11 on: 06:08:04 AM / 04-Sep-13 »
Man, what a deal! I use mine as my DD and figure I am over 300k miles by now (odometer quit being reliable around 264k years ago) it has been a great car. I managed to find lots of surplus *new* interior parts from OEM Surplus and the inside is pristine. I need to repaint as clear coat is starting to come apart.
Jeremy, sounds like you like your machine a lot, great to hear. I can get 15 psi, but I am not so sure I want to push my CA18 that much. It does get real rich when I push it, just don't have the extra time and money to fix that right now. I'd much rather be rich than run outa fuel, so I'll live with it for now.

Offline turboturtle

« Reply #12 on: 03:42:47 PM / 06-Sep-13 »
Man, what a deal! I use mine as my DD and figure I am over 300k miles by now (odometer quit being reliable around 264k years ago) it has been a great car. I managed to find lots of surplus *new* interior parts from OEM Surplus and the inside is pristine. I need to repaint as clear coat is starting to come apart.
Jeremy, sounds like you like your machine a lot, great to hear. I can get 15 psi, but I am not so sure I want to push my CA18 that much. It does get real rich when I push it, just don't have the extra time and money to fix that right now. I'd much rather be rich than run outa fuel, so I'll live with it for now.
yeah. the paint on my is starting to fade. Mine only gets drove to work maybe once a week. usually i drive it to get groceries or just to the gas station than a 20mi drive every friday
« Last Edit: 03:44:48 PM / 06-Sep-13 by turboturtle »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #13 on: 02:51:01 PM / 27-Mar-14 »
I own this car now. Bra is safely hiding in the trunk. Just changed out the ignition switch, no more starting it with a broken phone charger! Lifters still tickin', but not as loudly as my leaky exhaust manifold.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #14 on: 01:35:11 AM / 28-Mar-14 »
Nice, and congrats and yeah the lifters are always ticking away, and where is your exhaust leak at?

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #15 on: 07:15:54 AM / 28-Mar-14 »
Great buy! My exhaust mani leaked way back when I first bought the car. Turns out the upper rear exhaust stud was pulling out the threads from numerous re-torques, so I oversized the stud and it has held just fine. That stud has to hold a lot of weight from the turbo and exhaust system, that may be your issue. Look for the soot.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #16 on: 08:06:53 AM / 28-Mar-14 »
I'll have to check it out. I wouldn't be one bit mad if it was something a little easier to fix than a new manifold. Right now I have to really get into it through two gears to collect beans for boost.

New thread coming up this weekend.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #17 on: 03:09:10 PM / 28-Mar-14 »
I'm amazed by the low mileage. I hope you don't need a mani, just some gaskets would be fine. I didn't recognize the sound of a leaking mani when I first got my car, thought it could be rod knock or something. Then I got the bright idea to look around the engine and saw the soot  :wideeyed:

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #18 on: 07:55:23 PM / 28-Mar-14 »
nice well i might have another mani sitting around somewhere in my storage unit.  and if you have to get through two gears to get any usable boost then maybe the turbo is going. mine was old but still boosted and felt strong through any gear, though obviously not a large amount of boost.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #19 on: 03:32:45 AM / 30-Mar-14 »
Remove the pop off valve that may be leaking and causing your low to boost issue 1 npt pipe plug from any hardware store should do the trick!