Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solid Rear Axle. What are the alternatives?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline LettyOrtiz

• Sub-n00b
Solid Rear Axle. What are the alternatives?
« on: 03:05:30 AM / 02-Jul-14 »
So, Hello everyone! I want to replace native old solid rear axle with drum brakes on solid rear axle with disc brakes from other some model.
Who can give me advice? :)

Facebook Share    

Offline superDorifto

Re: Solid Rear Axle. What are the alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: 05:27:13 PM / 02-Jul-14 »
Stickies tell you exactly what will swap. 

Offline LettyOrtiz

• Sub-n00b
« Reply #2 on: 12:44:42 AM / 03-Jul-14 »
Stickies tell you exactly what will swap.
omg. really? I can't just go somewhere and study stickies of each axle that is sold. So, if you can not tell me something useful - don't post so "smart" messages. ok? :)

Offline D-sport S12

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan S12
« Reply #3 on: 01:53:34 AM / 03-Jul-14 »
Just get a Ford 8.8 , cut and weld some brackets, should be pretty easy to do as sra is pretty straight forward
Jesse R

Keichi Tsuchiya: "I'm afraid if I raced you on the street I'd push you to your death."

Offline spiderwebfx

« Reply #4 on: 02:05:27 AM / 03-Jul-14 »
Just get a Ford 8.8 , cut and weld some brackets, should be pretty easy to do as sra is pretty straight forward

I did this with a 2wd Toyota Hilux diff.  (Similar to a Tacoma).

I just welded a rod to the brackets on the s12 diff to keep all the distances and measurements correct, cut them off, and then welded them to the new diff.  It had been shortened already though so not sure how much that had been done by.
« Last Edit: 02:06:03 AM / 03-Jul-14 by spiderwebfx »

Offline superDorifto

« Reply #5 on: 10:43:58 AM / 06-Jul-14 »
omg. really? I can't just go somewhere and study stickies of each axle that is sold. So, if you can not tell me something useful - don't post so "smart" messages. ok? :)
The stickies in the forum..., they are threads that are so full of info that they are permanently pinned to the top..look under the suspension sub forum, there is an sra thread that lists all of your limited options for what will swap without major modifications...

I'm more than happy to help answer an obscure question, but when your answer is literally in the first 5 responses of the section, and had been stuck/pinned by the mods, or can be found with a quick Google search....I'm less helpful....go read the sticky.
« Last Edit: 11:00:00 AM / 06-Jul-14 by superDorifto »

Offline OrangeS12

• n00b
« Reply #6 on: 12:42:15 AM / 08-Jul-14 »
im using the axle from an rx7 gsl. has rear discs 4.10 gears and a lsd

Offline rollingstock

« Reply #7 on: 08:47:46 PM / 09-Jul-14 »
oranges12 any info on your swap?.. year/model? what needs to be done to make it work?
Post Merge
oranges12 any info on your swap?.. year/model? what needs to be done to make it work?
« Last Edit: 08:48:44 PM / 09-Jul-14 by rollingstock »
84 200sx hatch- semi build ka24e
88 integra LS SE
84 gmc 1500

Offline hoogin89

• n00b
« Reply #8 on: 04:46:09 PM / 20-Jan-16 »
Another option is to go an older, 80's ish, toyota truck rear axle.  This is the swap I'm doing.  The axles overall width is almost exactly the same and they are easy to come by.  Plus if you get an 8 inch ring gear toyota axle, from what I understand, any 8 inch diff will swap in, including supra lsd diffs.  You will still have drum brakes, but they are in the back so it doesn't really matter, I believe they are bigger and so you'll have more stopping power anyways.  Fronts are really more important then the rears anyways.  Plus you'll have an axle with lsd capabilities and capable of 400+ torque.  More then pretty much 90% of the cars on here.