Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Headlight Troubleshoot  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Baby

Another Headlight Troubleshoot
« on: 05:28:07 AM / 02-Jul-14 »
Okay, my left headlight has been out for some time now, as well as my hi-beams. The bulbs are good. The motors all engage properly, up and down. I replaced the combination switch, and triple checked the continuity, it is working perfectly, and it fixed my hi-beam on my right headlight. Still no left headlight. The relays seem to be engaging, but just to be sure, I switched them, and the headlights both go out. I switch them back, assuming it was a bad relay. Nope, they are both still out. The relays are still clicking and I bet they are good....Well, now that I think about it, maybe they are stuck, they seem to click twice when I turn my headlights on, and don't click when I turn them off. I thought it was because of the passing timer but I honestly have no clue...I check the headlamp sensor to the best of my ability and it has continuity in the right places (i think) but the headlamp sensor isn't receiving any power. I haven't checked the passing timer because I don't know where it is. What am I missing? I could have jumped one headlight to the other, but I screwed myself out of that option.

Any ideas?

Facebook Share    

Offline Baby

Re: Another Headlight Troubleshoot
« Reply #1 on: 03:07:10 AM / 05-Jul-14 »
Guys, electrical shit is so weird sometimes...Okay, so after reading a bit on my wiring diagram I thought that the next logical step would be to double check the fuses, then check the "passing timer." It is driver's side behind the EFI unit, in it's own little cubby, kinda shitty to get to. I find it, take it out, check the resistance and it is up 1600-1700, busted. I take it out, check the headlights, they don't work. I jump the power with a loop of wire, and check the headlights, the left one works. I check and I'm not getting a ground reading. I try to jump ground and blow a fuse. I replace the fuse, take out the jump to double check where the power is coming from, check the lights (still with no power jump) and they both work, open fully, then turn on. Hi-beams still do not work. What does the passing timer do? I can't seem to find anything about it. I thought I was getting somewhere and now I am so lost again.

So yeah, what does the passing timer do?
Post Merge

This is all that I've checked so far. Any assumptions I've made, I either went backwards or I left the terminal itself unmarked. I have a concern with my headlamp sensor, that it seems like power is going straight to grounds, I'm not sure how this stuff works quite yet. Also, My grounds on the passing timer cables are only open (continuity) while the headlights are in the off position; there is 56-300 resistance depending on which one is measured while the headlights are in the on position. My brights do not work still. Passing timer is unplugged. I took my combination switch off and checked the switch arms inside and everything checked out fine; However, I just realized I haven't checked the male plug of the combination switch (the one attached to the switch itself). So I'll check that tomorrow sometime. Meanwhile, any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: 05:05:12 AM / 05-Jul-14 by Baby »

Online Wonderingraven

• The Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #2 on: 11:39:18 PM / 06-Jul-14 »
I have the same exact issue. Let me know if you find it, I have checked damn year everything that list has to offer too.
Post Merge
Maybe perhaps is my same issue is the passing timer.  I will need to research that device because I don't think I have tested it yet.
« Last Edit: 11:46:33 PM / 06-Jul-14 by Wonderingraven »
1987 - Project: Fairlady Silvia
1986 - Project: Serenity (backup daily driven)
1986 - Project: Dread Pirate Robin
wonderingarven.net

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #3 on: 11:53:22 PM / 06-Jul-14 »
I assume you checked all your fusible links besides the regular fuses?
Post Merge
Any chance you could take a pic of the passing timer for us. Can't seem to find one anywhere
« Last Edit: 12:52:52 AM / 07-Jul-14 by rednucleus »

Offline Baby

« Reply #4 on: 10:40:55 AM / 07-Jul-14 »
Honestly it has been a while, I'm sure they deserve a double check. Thanks.

Passing Timer for 1985 Nissan 200sx. 4 pin connector. Part number: 28415 07F00

Passing Timer for 1985 Nissan 200sx. 4 pin connector. Part number: 28415 07F00

Online Wonderingraven

• The Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #5 on: 06:33:40 PM / 07-Jul-14 »
That was actually behind the EFI ? where is the EFI located? or is that ecu?
Post Merge
Never mind found it, directly behind the ecu.
« Last Edit: 06:51:48 PM / 07-Jul-14 by Wonderingraven »
wonderingarven.net

Offline Baby

« Reply #6 on: 08:29:41 PM / 07-Jul-14 »
Man, I don't know... The service manual calls the ECU the EFI, even though I'm pretty sure that the actual box says, "This ECU unit . . ." So I just wasn't sure what to call it lol. Glad you found it. Have you tested yours yet? Any luck? Based on experience, I'll tell you to fuck around with the connector jumping power and grounds until you blow your fuse and replace it lol...That's what fixed my low-beams. So weird. Just a joke, not really recommended.

Online Wonderingraven

• The Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #7 on: 08:38:45 PM / 07-Jul-14 »
Yeah, lol. Mine is tested Infinite power and no power with a tester light, but I get full power on the power orange wire of course.
wonderingarven.net

Online Wonderingraven

• The Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #8 on: 08:20:52 PM / 19-Jul-14 »
That passing timer did not work, but replaced with a newish head light switch instead of the mk1 head light switch, I found one from an 88 and since mine is an 87 it works again both head lights and removed the bypass and my brights are working once again.

that passing timer did nothing in replacing.  My head lights are stuck up, they need a spanking.
wonderingarven.net

Offline DjayS12

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan S12
« Reply #9 on: 10:27:29 AM / 20-Jul-14 »
After having a few issue with mine, i decided to hardwire the whole thing. The headlight motors already have built in limit switches.

Here's my wiring:

It allowed me to clean the engine bay (got rid of most headlight relay). All i had to buy was to fit a 2 way toggle switch that come back by itself. And now everything works like a charm!

now the headlight position is independent of the lights, and it do the sleepy eye if i wish, I even added a additional switch (not show on the picture) to wink ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9xfsCCMmI&feature=youtu.be

Offline Frenchy308

« Reply #10 on: 05:24:26 PM / 08-Jan-17 »
i got a hold of DjayS12 to get his diagram. Reposing with his permission All credits to him.
(the black wires to headlight motors are sapost to be grounded i think it go cut off)

For the winking mode it's just a switch that disconnect the motor down signal so it doesn't go down. The motor has limit switches built in so it cause no harms when you send the up signal with the motor already up.

« Last Edit: 09:59:47 AM / 28-Jan-17 by Frenchy308 »