Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windshield Topside Weatherstrip  (Read 7441 times)

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
Windshield Topside Weatherstrip
« on: 05:37:24 PM / 11-Aug-14 »
We all know the S12 design is now 30 years old and on practically every one I've seen the silver weatherstrip for the top of the windshield is either missing, cracked, warped, shrunk, delaminating, or all of the above.  My local auto glass shop doesn't carry anything and their program simply states it's a dealer only item.  I also checked Advance and Autozone and neither can come up with anything that's not for a Chevy.  So it begs the question: what are S12 owners to do?  Has anyone discovered an alternative or been able to fabricate something on their own?  I seem to be headed down this path but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if it's already been done.  Searching the forum came up blank.  I also don't think this is a good salvage yard item because of the ravages of time and weather.

Who has resolved this with reasonable satisfaction?

Facebook Share    

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
Re: Windshield Topside Weatherstrip
« Reply #1 on: 07:43:56 PM / 11-Aug-14 »
I have asked this before w/o success. Hope you get an answer as my top strip is long gone and I would really like a new one. Nissanpartszone does/used to list an entire windshield trim kit, but pretty spendy and no idea on availability.

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #2 on: 10:27:37 PM / 11-Aug-14 »
they mobile glass guys that have done my car twice had universal stripping they used. its common. if the glass guys you went to didnt know what to put there then you shouldnt go back to them.

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: 11:47:15 PM / 11-Aug-14 »
Thanks Iggy!! My next door neighbor does mobile glass. I'll let him know he's an idiot (I always had a hunch lol)

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #4 on: 09:12:15 AM / 12-Aug-14 »
Iggy, does your universal strip have the silver laminate?  I'm in a crappy little town with few choices so if there a known source I'm sure a lot of us could benefit.

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 01:02:01 AM / 13-Aug-14 »
no its just black. that would be the downside but i dont mind it.
Post Merge
you could always paint it before installing. Theres paint for rubber type surfaces. The same kind they use to paint tire sidewalls. its actually meant for RC car bodies. I dont remember the name sorry
« Last Edit: 01:03:26 AM / 13-Aug-14 by IggyEGuana »

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #6 on: 09:42:19 AM / 13-Aug-14 »
I measured the existing strip to be 1/4" wide by 1/4" deep.  I have some silver aluminum HVAC tape and I've been thinking about the possibility of wrapping some other generally available strip with the tape.  The surface is a little soft though and susceptible to damage.  I might try using some of windshield putty that comes in a long, thin roll.  If it wraps well I should be able to press it into the channel but I'm concerned with getting it uniform.  Still, that could be a cheap fix that would only cost the price of the putty.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: 02:02:31 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
Resurrecting this topic. I still have not found a replacement for the top piece. My next door neighbor is a glass guy; Nissan told him part not available. A universal piece he has would require pulling the glass to make it fit, not gunna do that!  Anyone have new ideas. Especially interested in seeing a reply from our parts guru Lifer!!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #8 on: 02:58:02 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
I'm with you, Red. That's one of the "major" things on my list of missing components.

I'll stop by at least one windshield specialty joint in town this week and ask about universal availability and make them take a look at my car's design. I really don't see how you would get a new piece in there without removing the windshield... so that may be the way to go.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #9 on: 03:02:53 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
Count me in for interest as well! I always figured SOMEONE should have a press-in type plastic strip.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: 03:15:41 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
I'm with you, Red. That's one of the "major" things on my list of missing components.

I'll stop by at least one windshield specialty joint in town this week and ask about universal availability and make them take a look at my car's design. I really don't see how you would get a new piece in there without removing the windshield... so that may be the way to go.
The original piece could be removed/installed with glass in place. I still have a few remnants of my original if anyone would like to see pics of design

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #11 on: 03:24:31 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
I have had a number of windshields replaced on the S12.  My experience over the years was the glass guys always had a black universal strip for the top.  I personally think it does not look bad.  However, they always had to remove the class in order to install.  You can try my number one source which is www.nissanpartsdeal.com to get that part number and to see if they still carry it.  Try to goggle as well and ask the dealership to do a search for you.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #12 on: 04:57:58 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
Didn't know this site existed. Thanks!

From $118 for silver up to $214.for black. P/N: 72810
http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/1985-nissan-200sx/front-windshield.html?PNC=72616

Looks like there may only be one left of each kind in stock. Does this mean it's safe to say one of the universal jobs is the way to go? As long as it doesn't look terrible and costs less than $118, why not? Good talk.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #13 on: 05:39:29 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
You can still pay around $100 for a new windshield with the black universal strip (top) plus labor.  OEM surplus still has new windshields for $100.  Be sure to shop around. 

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #14 on: 06:21:54 PM / 21-Sep-16 »
A couple of months ago I bought a silver strip from Binswanger Glass. Minimum purchase was a 16 foot strip for something like $30. The exposed side of the strip looks a good match for the OEM but the back side (the portion inserted into the crevice) is rounded instead of looking something like a wiper blade. I also bought a small tube of urethane sealer used to adhere the strip into place.

I have not installed this yet. Just after I bought the materials is when I started the steering rack > rack bushings > strut inserts > brake master cylinder > brake line fittings > power brake booster domino of repairs. I had some putty holding the ever shrinking OEM strip down which has been removed but I still need to clean out the crevice and tailor the new strip before opening the urethane. That will be delayed for a while because I'm leaving the country in a few days.
« Last Edit: 06:22:32 PM / 21-Sep-16 by weitrhino »