Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S12 Weekend car/Drift build, A fun car  (Read 7923 times)

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
S12 Weekend car/Drift build, A fun car
« on: 07:40:13 AM / 20-Oct-14 »
Hello all, Sullivan here, i live in New Zealand and got myself an s12 a couple of weeks ago. It was merely a body on wheels when i got it 2-3weeks ago but ive started work on it. The idea for this build is to look good, drift very well and be alot of fun. The plan at the moment is to most likely put a ca18det in it(factory ca20e) with a few goodies till it pops then RB it. Also, i'd like to point out that my S12 was New Zealand new, which i believe(correct me if im wrong) Getting quite rare? Anywhos, this will just be my build thread and ill most likely add to it weekly, depending.

This is the day i got the car delivered(Not my wheels) Wohoo Ft. the guy who delivered it(im 19 not 50 haha)

Another pic on a mates genuine work equips hes about to restore ft. my beautiful girlfriend

SO, First thing first i had to deal with the rust. Nothing structural(thankfully :sleezy:) So i set to giving it a rough sand and painting every part of it with CRC Rust Converter(might i add, great product). Next was to start sorting out the mess of what i'd just purchased. I removed alot of bog(as was not needed) fixed a couple of dents and set to underbody sealing the front half of the car.

This is what it looked like after the CRC Rustkill

(you can see that all the sound deadening is removed, and yes thats my complete interior at the moment  :laugh:)

And underbody sealing( I've painted but still have more to do, the engine bay with a very strong chassis paint as i like the look and its very tough paint )

Next was to set to work on the front steering/suspension and braking( i will be doing the rear after(Solid Rear Axle) ). I roughly followed the Suspension guide on here(for s13 coilovers) and this is my front setup at the moment. A31 Cefiro P/S Rack with new Outer Tierod ends, A31 de-sprung shocks( just to roll around while i find some decent S13 Coilovers ), S13 LCA's, Modified S13 Knuckles, A31 4 stud hubs, A31 Rotors, S13 Calipers and lines, S13 Tension Rods and S14 Tension rod brackets + Swaybar(These are due to go in this weekend once i pick them up). Also running a Cefiro Brake booster and Master cylinder. Im in the process of sorting out the s12 Column to S13 rack issue and will update once sorted.

This is my steering lock and setup as taken tonight(only have 3 wheels at the moment :laugh: So pics are only of passenger side.

Knuckles

This weekend im putting the tension rod brackets and s14 swaybar on aswell as sort the Steering column issue. Another note, My car came with no interior whatsoever so im on the hunt at the moment for interior parts(Which is proving to be difficuilt.) Also planning this weekend on get the engine bay all finished painted up and fit the brake booster and clutch master aswell as finally get it back on the ground.
Anyway, thats all for now i will update most likely this weekend.

Some more pics of it just for the hell of it  :laugh:

Facebook Share    

Me-"Bro, im pretty sure waterpumps run off water pressure"
Nathan-"Oh yeah im pretty sure thats it"

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
Re: S12 Weekend car/Drift build, A fun car
« Reply #1 on: 08:10:01 AM / 21-Oct-14 »
So, update( small but meh ) S13 rack all hooked up to s12 column. Was a bit of a mission but worked out very well, got the factory s12 part that bolts from rack to column, cut it slightly shorter and it all bolted up great. Put lock nuts and spring washers in as a precaution. Due to pick up a full s12 factory turbo dash/cluster/console as well as s14 tension rod brackets and sway bar. Will update once mores done   :) also hopefully getting some gktech high tensile offset steering rack spacers :)

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: 11:40:13 PM / 26-Oct-14 »
Soo, finally got my tension rod brackets and swaybar, took a wee while to fit as i didn't want to slot the hole any more than neccessary. Nice and stiff with the swaybar, finally got it back down on to the ground, on desprung a31 shocks (sitting at around 2cm off ground) until i get justies. Going to get some parts off of some wrecked s12s this weekend sweet

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #3 on: 06:52:13 AM / 28-Oct-14 »
Just some pics of the front setup :)

haha excuse the flat tyre

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #4 on: 02:13:38 AM / 02-Nov-14 »
soo slightly busy over the weekend, work included finishing touches on tension rod brackets and swaybar from s14, also fitted an S13 Uras front bumper and side skirts. If it looks like its on an angle its because i have a popped tyre on my front left wheel hehe :laugh: Also painted the shell matte black woo!
anyways some pics

more updates to come!

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #5 on: 06:44:11 AM / 28-Nov-14 »
Soo just another wee update. No pics atm but ill put some on later. Since last update, underbody was re chassis painted, and i managed to find some parts! got myself 2 gearboxes 2 rear axles and a full set of panels + windows and Dash. have removed rear axle, taken apart and repainted and sealed. Back together now and waiting for coilovers. All trims and glass has been refitted aswell as reupholstard door cars and carpet. Kit has been painted too. Bad news, fuel pump cradle and tank are very rusted inside and still have no electrics(body loom). All lights have been refitted also. ALSO purchased a ca18det ported head and block, so engine build i guess is starting slowly. Still need - brake lines from booster to calipers and rear axle, ca18det parts, wheels and coilovers. i am happy though with the build so far, pics to come :)

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #6 on: 03:41:40 AM / 07-Jan-15 »
Haven't updated in a while. Sorry about the lack of pics, had alot of computer issues for a while. Some updates; I didnt like the sloppiness and play in my s12 steering column so i fitted an s13 steering column ( the hardest part of the project to date - i do not recommend people doing this unless you have a welder ). Touched up a few parts of the body here and there, found a dashboard woohoo, swapped out my rear axle for a h165 rear axle as i have a whole other spare h165 axle ( ones locked up ones open for Wofs/cert ). also managed to fix all the door mechanisms and get all the trims fitted ( a mess of trims in a box to sort out ). Generally been tidying up everything else thats been done so far. Have alot more parts though, most of what i need for my ca18det minus bearings/rings but have a new aftermarket top mount manifold with a t3 flange for a rb20det turbo, cleaned up all the engine parts for inspection and painted, have a Ssq Bov for it and a few other bits and bobs. Also went to fit my gearbox and d/shaft to find out that i have a mk1 AUTO chassis  :glarestraight: So have sketched up a plan for modification that a certified welder mate of mine is gonna do for me soon so that will be good. Also got 2 out of my 3 brake lines sorted out. Fuel tank is fully stripped as im taking it to be restored to its former glory. Fuel pump cradle has been sorted. Still waiting on a bit more funds to buy; s13 body + engine loom, Wheels, Coilovers and the rest of the rebuild parts. will update pics when i can

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #7 on: 11:04:37 AM / 07-Jan-15 »
What issues does a Mk1 auto chassis present you?  Can you share the mod sketch you made for the welder?

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #8 on: 11:34:04 PM / 07-Jan-15 »
The mk1 Auto chassis is different to the manual mk1 chassis aswell as the mk2 manual and auto chassis, i tried researching it but the mk1 auto seems to be the only model not covered. I sure can, but i will post it in the next day or two as im going to get back under the car and re-measure everything to triple check that my diagram is accurate :) Ive also got two mk2 manual xmembers so ive taken the top part to make everything smoother, sounds confusing but you'll see what i mean when i post pics

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #9 on: 06:51:56 PM / 08-Jan-15 »
OK cool. I'm looking forward to what you measure as different. It's got me puzzled.

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #10 on: 02:09:58 AM / 20-Feb-15 »
re: the gearbox swap(if you're still interested) will be completed soon, had alot of issues with my driveshaft so i had to go get a different one after a massive search. Ive got it now and on so in the next few days im going to jack gearbox back up, triple check my measurements and get back to you.

Anyway, bit of a progress (slow as i have a few health issues and have been off work for the last year so moneys sloww). Have got my s13 full body loom installed, wired up to the tail lights need to still do headlights. Also got my dash in with the s13 dash cluster making wiring a breeze, have seat brackets being made up at the moment to fit some fixed back fia race seats, started to fit my dmax bonnet vent which im very excited about. I have all the parts to build 2x ca18dets, im building one just stock with top mount and t3 turbo so learn to drift in while i build up another forged ca18det hoping for 400+hp atw. alot of tidying up has been done to the car like wiring tidied up, little imperfections to things fixed, all the little floor plugs and empty boltholes filled aswell as the bonnet finished up. all my suspension is ready for coilovers to be installed, tested fitted my friends wheels so i'll be running 15x9s 0 offset on the front with no flares (they just fit) and am thinking more like 15x9 -25 or 15x10 0 offset on the rear, maybe 15x10 -25 something very tough anyway. custom made some carpet and fitted it. SO yes, definately progressing ive got a couple of pictures that have just randomly been taken but ill get more in soon :0

ALSO, had huuuuge problems with my bloody doors as the hinges sagged making it catch on the body and not shut. I have finally remedied this which i can go into detail for some if they like. was an absolute pain in the ass but now my car is fully lockable and shuttable hahaha :) cheers

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #11 on: 02:51:51 AM / 21-Jul-15 »
Been a while but thought id give a little update. I have ditched my bonnet as it was fucked and have instead cut the reinforcing and hinge mounts off and attached them to a fiberglass skin which is extremely light so i will not be running a vent anymore and will instead put in some hinge spacers. All the wiring is finished for the most part, just need to wire in some aftermarket window switches which will be a breeze and obviously aftermarket gauges but all the chassis wiring is complete. I have purchased a ca18det that had been rebuilt 10,000 kms ago which is quite exciting. I swapped intakes with my one that i had pulled fully apart and cleaned inside and out and also took the stock turbo setup off and put on a new topmount manifold which is waiting for an rb25det turbo to go on. Swapped cam covers with the ones i'd pulled apart and cleaned all the fittings and baffling inside and out. Pulled the crankcase breather out and cleaned it completely. New coolant hoses as the pipes were shit, new breather hoses, im working on a nice breather setup at the moment to reduce the chances of rod knock when it's being drifted. New spark plugs, New water pump, reconditioned alternator and cleaned the sump inside and out. Engine should be going in in about a weeks time. Pulled steering rack out and replaced the drivers rack end and both tie rod ends. Chassis has been re sealed underneath even though i've done it before, just wanted to make sure its perfectly sealed. Also sealed up the rear axle and front xmember, lower arms and knuckles. Replaced master cylinder with a bm33 non abs one out of a cefiro. Interior is mostly complete, working on a couple of custom pieces as its missing some trimmings which is quite fun. Also purchased an S13 fuel tank which is absolutely mint, Sealed it all up with the same chassis type paint and will be going in once ive got a new tank strap, which i'll either be putting in a bosch 044 or walbro or possible a deastch works pump in. Gearbox has been put on the motor along with an Xtreme heavy duty clutch and brand new slave cylinder. 38mm external waste gate setup which im putting a 12psi spring in it. Some more general tidying up has also gone on, a few brackets made for the engine bay to support things and the like. Waiting on a couple of small parts from nissan to arrive which will complete my engine setup. Does anyone know how people using hockey pucks as motor mounts? as my mounts are absolutely fucked and dont really feel like purchasing new oem ones, might go with aftermarket solid mounts but im quite interested in puck mounts as i actually enjoy feeling the vibrations of the car. Also got rid of my HUGE Fmic and have a very small one for less lag.
only have 2 pictures as my phone broke with all my pictures on it, go figure lol, will update this once the motors in most likely with some decent pictures :) :) :) :)

Offline iceageg

« Reply #12 on: 07:10:53 AM / 21-Jul-15 »
Here is a recent thread about making puck mounts for a VG.  I know many people here have done it at various times.

http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=37971.0
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #13 on: 06:02:32 AM / 27-Oct-15 »
well its been a little while since ive updated so i thought i might do a quick update. A fair bit of progress has gone on, finally employed so it should be getting done a lot quicker now. changes at the moment include motor and box are in the car (factory auto so the gearbox cross member is currently being modified. top mount turbo etc all on, it is running an rb20det turbo with 60,xxx kms on the clock. Front mount is on and mounted which is sitting up very high (will post a pic when i can get one). The headlight brackets have been modified to be permanently up and the front mount sits between them. The inter-cooler piping will then go straight under the headlights to the turbo and intake (very short piping and small inter-cooler for less lag). Brake lines are finished up and hooked up clutch master etc all back in. The wiring is complete bar window switches as am still waiting on getting some universal switches and relays. Catch can, radiator overflow, power steering reservoir are all in and mounted. I have managed to score a set of 4x114.3 to 6x139.7 wheel adapters made out of steel which allow me to run cheap 4x4 steelies as drift wheels to save money (plus are strong enough to withstand a few gutter meetings :yes:) currently I've got shitty wheels on the front to keep the car rolling and on the rear ive got a pair of 15x8 -47 offset steelies with 195/50/15's on them which fit beautifully, very pleased with how they look (pictures at the end :P) I'm on the hunt for some front wheels at the moment, hoping to find some SSR Mk1's in 15" as they are my favorite but we will see. Also got a walbro fuel pump recently and have been trying to fit my fuel tank in but i cannot for the life of me find where abouts the bolt holes are too mount the straps??? if anyone could post a couple of pictures of where there tank straps mount to i'd be extremely grateful. Once the tanks in and mounted and i sort out my oil return and feed lines i will finally be able to start her up!!!! IM SO EXCITED. so many hours have gone into this car so far and for such a big milestone to be coming up is so exciting. Had big issues actually getting the engine in, funnily enough it turns out the crossmember is for an fj (after alot of effort trying to work out why the fuck it wouldn't go in) Sadly i don't particularly care for FJ's so its just chilling in my garage. I intend on going vg30et once i'm finished with the ca18, hoping to start building up a forged one quite soon and going for 600ish hp atw. Also next up on the list is adjustable suspension all round, possibly bc gold's or teins but we will see. Also needing adjustable tension rods and hope to get the techno toy 4 link kit quite soon for alot of undercar adjustability. The plan this week is to get the tank in and mounted and turn her on, get the gearbox xmember modified and the lock diff back in the s12 and hopefully a thick alloy radiator. I'm also trying to convince my dad to let me build up his spare honda logo (with a fucked motor) and turbo it as he loves it and loves cars + i know it'll make him very happy. So yes, a decent amount done and alot to do aswell as planning to start my own business so life is quite full on at the moment. Ill post whatever pics of the car ive got (not many) and make sure i wont take so long to update next time :D

Also have this mint condition grille been told its rare for sale

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #14 on: 02:35:08 PM / 02-Nov-15 »
Nice work you have so far!

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #15 on: 05:53:01 AM / 08-Nov-15 »
Thanks Man, got the front end mostly back together, compression tested the ca and all were 150 so i was quite stoked. had spark, get my injectors tomorrow so i might finally get to start it :DD Also have a friend thats going to help me out and modify my front and rear gaurds (Watch this space ;) Have a couple of pictures that ill upload now

Got some pretty serious lock right now :)

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #16 on: 10:24:54 PM / 08-Nov-15 »
Nice! I love the ca but I want to upgrade to the RB..

Offline WIGGLS

• n00b
« Reply #17 on: 06:02:03 PM / 19-Nov-15 »
Haha yeah go for it mate, why not! i plan on going vg30et after i blow the ca18det up  :evillaugh:

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #18 on: 02:41:16 PM / 22-Nov-15 »
One day I will !