Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ecu with engine upgrades questions.  (Read 4697 times)

Offline gorillaman2012

• Sub-n00b
ecu with engine upgrades questions.
« on: 12:09:32 PM / 18-Nov-14 »
Alright so I've been digging in to research on these cars because I've been looking at picking one up to DD to work instead of driving my full size. Questions I have for these cars with a ca18et are with the coil upgrades and the pop off valve removed and rerouted to run 9 psi also having upgraded fuel pumps (maybe injectors? Don't know that info is all botchy and no clear cut answer. Know about it tell me please.) Is the ecu self tuning to keep up with this or what? I'm use to turbo systems but none that have obd1 crap. Have a 73 datsun 240z with a turbo holley carb setup and that's easy to tune. Also worked on plenty of newer stuff where all I have to do is go through hptuners program and change things around. This system though I'm confused on and haven't found a clear cut answer. More about dump the motor and swap something else in. That's all well and good but on a budget car I just want mainly for reliability and mpgs all I want is that extra umph to move and be fun to drive. Guru's please enlighten me on this subject. I've heard about some apexi piggy back systems for the maf but the thread went to crap over your wasting your money on this motor. Again. Don't care just want a fun little get to work car that I don't have to swap another motor in. If yall know a direction to do more research point me there please! Thanks guys!

Facebook Share    

Offline pakii-afa

Re: ecu with engine upgrades questions.
« Reply #1 on: 05:16:48 PM / 18-Nov-14 »
personally if you upgrade the transistor to a pwr2, and use a msd blaster coil or two, and just throw on a t25g, and time it to 17 btdc instead of 15 btdc, you should have all the umph you want for one day and then will get bored of the slow to go motor lol. 9 psi is pretty high, especially considering these are old cars with old motors, id run it about 7 max unless you did the rings on it. if you want mpg then dont do the t25g lol. if you want reliability then dont do any of it except the pwr2. if you dont upgrade injectors you shouldnt really need a tune with the way youre going. plus the t25g alone is a day/night difference than our t2

Offline gorillaman2012

• Sub-n00b
« Reply #2 on: 09:34:25 PM / 18-Nov-14 »
Fantastic. Alright what the heck transistor and pwr2 are you talking about lol thanks for the other info to!

Offline Basic

« Reply #3 on: 02:23:11 PM / 19-Nov-14 »
the pwr2 is an ignition module on slightly newer distributor equipped nissan's that a mostly straight swap. Basically results in better more consistent spark. Pretty common swap on Z31's -

http://z31performance.com/archive/index.php/t-17796.html
Hey, truck engine + truck turbo - why not?

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #4 on: 12:12:24 AM / 20-Nov-14 »
Ok, so if you go bigger injectors you will need some form of tuning device (apexi etc), if you put a larger ( read smallish from the all out horsepower turbo sizes) you should be fine with 10-12 psi as long as the rest of the systems are in good to great working order,  the motors are capable little guys though if you are foolish with tuning (read turn the boost up with total disregard) then you will hurt it, if you want daily drivable status go slow with the mods make sound choices and tune accordingly.  i have now 10K miles on my fully forged internals with a full rebuild at the same time and run a very small turbo for autox ( one of the turbos of a 1990 300zx ) and it dynos at above 180whp and 180wtq that i daily drive like a boss.  if you have questions of what i have done ( and it is a long list ) feel free to ask.