Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which parts would you be interested in buying? (Also, tick your preferred color)

Driver Left Vent
18 (19.4%)
Driver Right Vent
17 (18.3%)
Passenger Left Vent
7 (7.5%)
Passenger Right Vent
9 (9.7%)
Opera Window Clasp
4 (4.3%)
Lock Pull Surrounds
7 (7.5%)
Interior Door Handles
6 (6.5%)
Beige Color
2 (2.2%)
Blue Color
7 (7.5%)
Dark Grey Color
4 (4.3%)
Black Color
11 (11.8%)
Custom Parts (List in Post)
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Reproducing Plastic Parts  (Read 10201 times)

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
Re: Reproducing Plastic Parts
« Reply #80 on: 09:44:05 AM / 19-Feb-17 »
Modeling decent replacement vents would be relatively easy, the issue is CNC milling is super material-intensive, particularly for something like this. Additive manufacturing- eg 3D printing- would be more suitable, but the manufacture time and cleanup are ridiculous, and a number of parts have to be significantly redesigned because the available plastics for printing don't hold up well in some of the original design elements. For example, the vertical slats in the vent assemblies are held together by a bar along the back, with a thinner piece of plastic for flexibility connecting all of them. Printable plastics are too brittle for this.

That's not to say it's impossible, it's just not a practical way to produce these for sale. With that said, I did just order a 3D printer, incidentally. I might consider refining some of my CAD drawings and doing a limited run of kits so people can make their own. But I don't have an S12 anymore and I'm not really in the S12 game these days. And my job is eating all of my spare time. So don't anybody hold their breath.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline iceageg

« Reply #81 on: 05:48:26 AM / 20-Feb-17 »
While it wouldn't be a 100% original replacement it may be more worth while to find an existing replacement vent from a place like JEGS, then design a one piece adapter that simply mounts into the S12 dash, then accommodates the off the shelf aftermarket vent securely.  Not ideal but it could be far more effective from a time/cost standpoint.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #82 on: 03:25:27 PM / 26-Feb-17 »
By and large, all of the dash vents available in the aftermarket are based on 70s and 80s vintage GM garbage. Not only are the dimensions way off, but they just look chintzy. More so than missing vents in my opinion. Besides, you'd have to buy the vents to design the adapter, and so on. And then you'd still have to produce the adapter.

Depending on how the next couple of months go, I might design a set of print-ready vents and release the models for anybody with a suitable printer to use. It's a big maybe. Work is crazy and the originals I was using for my initial design work, went with the car when I sold it.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?