84 S12 KA-T Drift Debauchery Extravaganza

Started by Modulus Two, 04:35:16 PM / 07-Feb-15

Previous topic - Next topic

Modulus Two

I'll start off stating that I'm not a mechanic, just a hobbyist.

I've already show the ride in the my introduction, but I'm going to start putting my build / rebuild here.
I've decided against making this a drift car, for now, since I've been convinced to just do a restore since it's in pretty good shape.

A trip to AutoZone and $200 later, I had a new battery, all the fluids, oil filter, and other misc. tools.

I changed out the battery, topped up the fluids, and the car turned over! The excitement didn't last long.
The moment I pushed the throttle a little bit, it died again and I couldn't get it to start back up.  Probably sucked up some bad gas.

Tomorrow evening, I'm going to try to change oil and bleed clutch.
If you have suggestions or tips to get it running, let me know!

rednucleus

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?  Should run for 5-10 sec then stop when pressure is reached. Do you have spark?

Modulus Two

I think the fuel pump turns on. I hear a slight *huummmmmmmmmm* when I put the key in the "run" position and then it stops.
I'd assume that I'm getting a spark since I did fire up once. Sounds like combustion is about to happen, but doesn't keep on firing.
I will try to get some audio / video of it next time I get to work on it.

Thanks!
Post Merge

Here's a video trying to start it up.
You can't hear the pump in the video, but it does hum when the key turns to "on".

On the first crank, it sounds like it's going to work, then kind of sputts out.

rednucleus

The hum is the fuel pump, so that's good. Sounds like it wants to go so probably spark ok. How old and how much bad gas is in the tank? Change the fuel filter yet?

SchizophrenicMC

Eh just toss the CA and get a KA.
Quote from: Jay on 10:44:55 PM / 03-Jun-12
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
Quotezololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

rednucleus

spiderwebfx

If you haven't put gas in it, and it's been sitting a while, this while likely be your problem.

Either drain whats in the tank out if theres a bit, or just put some new stuff in.  If there isn't much, it'll dilute the bad gas to a usable point.  Just keep switching the car to ON then OFF and back again a few times as the fuel returns to the tank if not used, that'll get new stuff through the fuel lines.

SchizophrenicMC

On a more serious note, will it start if you spray starting fluid into the manifold?
Quote from: Jay on 10:44:55 PM / 03-Jun-12
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
Quotezololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Modulus Two

I'll try to get some fresh fuel in the tank tomorrow. Gauge shows about 1/4 full, assuming that the gauge works.
It'd probably be best to drain the gas and change the fuel filter before putting fresh fuel in.

Today I managed to bleed the clutch. I found a "one person bleeder kit" at autoZone which helped a ton. Good use of 8 Dollars.
That kind of brings me into another issue. There is more rust in this chassis than I previously thought. While I was jacking the car, the points that the jack was on were "raining" rust.
Looks like I'm going to have to get out the angle grinder and my welder. But that will come later. I just want to get it running right now.
Post Merge

It's funny how cheap cars cost you more in the long run. But I guess this is just the buy-in of tinkering with cars.
Got all the basics the other day.

This came with the car!  I didn't notice that it was behind one of the seats.  It's already been a huge help.

It's sad that I didn't have any Metric wrenches. I think I'd somehow left my socket set and wrenches with my ex-girlfriend.  Q_Q

I guess if anyone needs electrical / mechanical diagrams, let me know. This book is awesome!

IggyEGuana

Quote from: SchizophrenicMC on 12:11:00 PM / 08-Feb-15
On a more serious note, will it start if you spray starting fluid into the manifold?
THANK YOU!

Modulus Two! What happened to Modulus One? jk

Bummer youre not gonna make it a drifter and that youre actually working on the ca20. That rust will probably change your mind tho. Rusty cars drift fine.

Oh and that FSM!! you just saved yourself a shit ton of headache and a lot of dumb ass questions. Read that book!

Keep at it

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Modulus Two

Quote from: IggyEGuana on 06:19:18 PM / 10-Feb-15
Bummer youre not gonna make it a drifter and that youre actually working on the ca20. That rust will probably change your mind tho. Rusty cars drift fine.

I haven't done too much research on the ca20, but I'm assuming they're shit. What are they, like 100 HP, if that?

I got it to run for a little bit the other day and again tonight, but it ends up dying after about 30-60 seconds or if I give it any throttle.

Anyone know what would be doing this?
Damn thing sounds like an old tractor.  Like someone said before, just find a KA and junk this CA.

The more I get to working on this car, the more I'm thinking it's going to become a drifter.  I heard a nice "CRUNCH" when I put it up on the jack today.  I saw a rust spot under the passenger door give way and put a crack under it.  FML. I would like to say that I was deceived by the guy who sold it to me, but I've only myself for not looking more thoroughly for rust. Luckily I've a brother-in-law who's a Union metal worker and has done restorations before. (oh, I can't wait for him to bring that '69 442 Cutlass out of storage again.)  I'll have to see if I can get it to Illinois some time to get working on the body.  I might have to just do the rest of my work there if he'll let me keep it there till it's "done".  we all know they're never done.

I'll probably start taking out the interior soon and searching the Junkyards for a replacement engine.

rednucleus

lol that's one sad sounding CA - and that's coming from a guy on his 3rd one in 30 years!! I hear lots of valve train noise - the black top ca's have mechanical lifters that need adjustment - you FSM will guide you. How's oil pressure at idle? Running on new gas yet? How do the plugs look as well as dizzy cap & rotor? Do you know the 2nd set of plugs on the exhaust side are for emissions only.

Modulus Two

@Rednucleus, Those are a lot of good questions and the answer to most of those are, I don't know. haha.

I put in a gallon of 93 Octane yesterday to see if that would help things out. I need to quit being such a pussy and bear the cold in the garage and finish changing the fuel filter.
Haven't checked  plugs, which should have probably been one of the first things on the list.
The dist cap, rotor, and leads  look like they've been replaced at some point.

I'll muck with it some more tomorrow.

Basic

after hearing about the issues this car has, and seeing the pictures, go ahead and drift it. its good to know if it were a clean shell you wouldn't, but it sounds like the rust is starting to take hold, and there's no stopping it now. I'd say Go ahead and drift it - the body work, as you said, will never be done. there are cleaner shells out there.

it does sound like it's got a blown exhaust gasket and some lifter noise.

but sell me the front corner lights/grill/valence first.... And if/when you strip the interior - I need a random piece from the hatch interior trim. LOL
Hey, truck engine + truck turbo - why not?

IggyEGuana

didnt hear it but i imagine its got detonation from bad gas and probably running on 3 cyls. plus whatever is making it die.

if you decide to make it a drift car dont worry about the rust. a roll cage will eliminate 90% of any structural rust worries. then you just stitch the front end and where the firewall bracing on the side and into the floor is. anything else would be for looks. but rust looks cool too so

also theres probably several people in the southwest who would buy your dash if it really is cherry. looks like it. maybe dash swap with someone

Drift Build Thread

Modulus Two

I think I may have  found my engine donor.
The 2000 Nissan Frontier has a KA24DE with a 5 Speed, right?
There's a junk yard here in Indy that has one (the truck) in it's inventory.  I'm going to have to make a swing by to see if it has its engine, transmission, and any other nice toys that I may need and see if any of it is usable.

May have to wait till payday, Friday, to make a move on it though. I'll also need to rent a pickup truck.

IggyEGuana

the mount brackets will be wrong and I think the trans will be too short but not sure on that. Truck gearing might get annoying after a while tho. GL

Drift Build Thread

Modulus Two

Well, balls.
I figured at least the engine would drop in nicely, but if the mounting brackets are different, I don't want to mess with it.
I really need to read up on the engine swap threads.

Basic

Not sure the mount brackets would be wrong, but the oil pan + oil pickup would be. The truck gearing may actually be good for mad slides.

Really, your source car for ease of swappage is an s13 or s14.
Hey, truck engine + truck turbo - why not?

Modulus Two

Found a salvage yard that has '91 and a '93  S13.
Now I've just got to make a stop by to see if they have engine / trans intact.

I've read some of the KA Tech threads and I'm trying to figure out what all I need to gank from the S13.

• Engine
  • Transmission
  • Front portion of S13 Drive Shaft
  • ECU
  • Wiring Harness

Anything else major that I'd need to get started piecing it together?