Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KelsoCorp Auto  (Read 9389 times)

Offline kelso840

KelsoCorp Auto
« on: 06:15:08 PM / 12-Feb-15 »
Well, here we are again. I had gotten myself into another s12 about this time last year. After driving up to Nowhergo, MI, to snag the car from TurboTurtle, I immediately got separated from my girlfriend (at the time) who was supposed to be leading so I could focus on the floaty extremes of driving a new car with blown shocks home in the winter. Anywho, I made it home. Alone. Drove the car until thaw and worked on a couple things.

Previous owner told me it had a cracked exhaust manifold. No biggie. Score a new one from a club member; couple gaskets, too. Actually look into what's to be done.. no chance I'm burdening myself with changing it. I'm an adult now. I work. Just take it to a shop. Fuck.....

Hour away from home one week later- I have no oil. Apparently, cutting a line from the turbo was the easiest way to get it done. Thanks, dudes. You'll be hearing from me again.

In the meantime.... I've gotten this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85qVR9Frp7lcGROVWE4ZnliWjQ/view?usp=sharing

Which is destined for this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85qVR9Frp7ldW01emREMloydlE/view?usp=sharing

One more: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85qVR9Frp7ldW01emREMloydlE/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: 03:11:18 PM / 15-Oct-16 by kelso840 »

Facebook Share    

Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Modulus Two

Re: Kelso's Last Try
« Reply #1 on: 07:02:07 PM / 12-Feb-15 »
Awesome!  Let me know how the swap goes! I'm in the works of getting all my stuff together for a KA swap.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #2 on: 07:45:56 PM / 12-Feb-15 »
Sure will. Just as soon as my mechanic (new guy- significantly better) finishes the swap. I'm trying not to get too optimistic, seeing as he has a business to run. April feels right.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #3 on: 04:01:32 PM / 01-Sep-16 »
Well, it's back. Still need to get the tach and the speedo working properly. I recall this car had some trouble with the speedo before it went down two years ago. Not sure about the tach and whether it ever worked or not, but I may take the path of least resistance and try to source an analog gauge and get it talking to the SR. Seems like people have had decent success with that. 

I think the very next thing that needs to happen though is some suspension. I'm taking suggestions on shock/spring combos that work for a spirited daily driver without making me hate myself on every bump. S13 swapping for coils is tempting but I don't want back problems from my daily.

Also considering swapping the front end of my '84 onto this car so it isn't as snaggle toothed.

Take summma that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDEEpz0GeYk

I'm calling her Regina George because right now she's a Fugly Slut. Might be a bad omen. Bring this up if I get hit by a bus in this car.

You can see some of the snaggle tooth here.

Not the best photo but you can see that the paint is a little tired.

This fender has been repainted at some point and has gone full white on me.

Some more snaggle.

There's that.

« Last Edit: 05:10:28 PM / 01-Sep-16 by kelso840 »

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
Re: 1985 SR S12 (Regina George )
« Reply #4 on: 07:40:58 PM / 01-Sep-16 »
Cool. Doesn't look to fugly to me - I'd drive it.

What fmic is that and where did you get it? cost?

What radiator is that and where did you get it? Cost?
« Last Edit: 07:41:57 PM / 01-Sep-16 by JonB »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #5 on: 08:46:06 PM / 01-Sep-16 »
I'll have to look at it or talk to the guy who put it on. It's weird not knowing a damn thing about your own car. I do know that they work pretty dang well. The car runs at about quarter temp, if that, and only gets halfway hot when you shut it off and things stop moving.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #6 on: 11:07:34 AM / 06-Sep-16 »
This asshole wanted to trade me cars yesterday. Told him I don't need that many cylinders.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #7 on: 07:56:25 AM / 26-Sep-16 »
Still have no tach, and it'd be nice if my speedometer was accurate again.

Do both of these lines need to be connected? The one on the right goes upwards and is connected to what looks like it could be cruise control (can be seen in the top left corner of this photo. The one on the right is presently hanging free. I'm going to try hooking it in to where my boost line is currently t'd into the intake.

Closer look. So Black/White goes upwards, and Black/Red is currently disconnected.

Post Merge
« Last Edit: 03:29:00 PM / 15-Oct-16 by kelso840 »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #8 on: 06:57:09 PM / 09-Oct-16 »
Pretty cool e30 behind my s12.

Offline kelso840

Re: KelsoCorp Auto
« Reply #9 on: 03:25:18 PM / 15-Oct-16 »
I've rented a garage to store/work on cars.

You'll see these two:

Pretty well robbed my parent's garage of all the fun stuff.

Welcome to KelsoCorp Auto! We could probably fit five or six cars in there if you didn't need to work on 3 of them, but the inventory will probably be four cars at any given time.

1ea - s12 or 325i convertible depending on what I'm driving
2ea - 89 Saab 900 Turbos - manual swap and general engine refresh
1ea - 1987 325is my buddy will most likely store through winter

Last but not least, Nissan Consult. Going to try and make an digi dash panel for the s12 reading directly from the sr20 ecu since my speedometer and tach don't work presently. Should be cool if I can get it working the way I imagine.

Offline Nebuchernezzer

« Reply #10 on: 08:27:21 PM / 15-Oct-16 »
Diodes from after your igniter and swap the gear sender cog for one that matches your diff ratio and all good?

If looks could kill you'd have eyes like cyanide...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/zeruel

Offline kelso840

« Reply #11 on: 12:33:13 PM / 26-Oct-16 »
Hopefully throwing the tokicos and CM springs on this weekend.

Got this thing back with a new top so I can safely daily it during Indiana's soggy fall while I work on the s12, which then becomes the winter car.

GLAM!

« Last Edit: 12:33:55 PM / 26-Oct-16 by kelso840 »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #12 on: 07:24:44 AM / 31-Oct-16 »
Got three out of four corners done. Fronts went pretty smoothly being that I'd had everything apart two or so years ago replacing struts.

Rear, however.... Jeez. Everything is rusted the F*$#K together down below, then I couldn't get the interior body panel off to access the 14mm nut up top, so I just wedged an open end wrench on the nut and against the body and twisted the greater shock proper from below.  Putting the new 17mm nut on for the Tokico was fun, about 1/8th of a turn at a time in the tiniest, pokiest space available under the speaker.

I do really like how stiff it is though. Everything is set to 5 and hopefully the rear never needs adjusted. I should probably just put more time into getting those body panels off.
« Last Edit: 07:25:10 AM / 31-Oct-16 by kelso840 »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #13 on: 04:17:38 PM / 04-Nov-16 »
Today's lesson: Have A Plan

I intended to follow our latest guide on cleaning out the interior blower. Didn't score any cash; nuts....

HAD A COMPLETE POST READY TO SUBMIT WHEN MY COMPUTER CRASHED!! AACCCKKK!!!

Anyhow, here's more from the author of "Nuts!"

So then the s13 ECU fell out, and I hooked up my Consult to see if it would talk to my PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUNklbUYRAQ

More nuts....

Being thoroughly defeated, back to dash removal... No idea how this car works but I trust the guy who did it wholeheartedly. If these labeled wires are dangling, it must be ok.

Gonna ask him what this is about. Remote light for easier code reading?

Left it like this after getting my butt kicked. I'll be back tomorrow to finish shocks and springs.

Action shot from doing the fronts last weekend

Big ass vice I stole from work saved a bunch of time/effort. Easily the heaviest thing I've ever touched.

Vanity plate came in. Decided to go ridiculous on the red convertible and get a plate in commemoration of my fictional multi-national conglomerate, "KelsoCorp, Inc.". I'm calling the BMW a company car.

Lastly, random picture of my buddy's 325is. His first manual transmission car so it sits mostly until he's more comfortable driving it on public roads. It's good inspiration for things I can do to the convertible, and having more community knowledge about e30s helps, even if we're both new to the chassis.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #14 on: 06:00:23 PM / 05-Nov-16 »
Got the interior put back together and finished the rear. Oil pressure gauge decided it was done working so i got scared and cut the test drive short, but it's a night and day improvement. Very stiff now.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #15 on: 07:15:56 AM / 07-Nov-16 »
Here's how it sits on CM Springs and Tokico shocks as of this morning, for Czech's reference. It's a night and day difference but for daily driving I'd probably set the shocks to 4 and see how you like it. I installed mine on 5 and it's really stiff; maybe too stiff for daily.

Would dropping the fronts to 4 upset the suspension terribly?

« Last Edit: 07:16:24 AM / 07-Nov-16 by kelso840 »

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #16 on: 08:49:31 AM / 07-Nov-16 »
I still don't know what direction I will take with the suspension on my car. I think the CM springs would probably be too stiff for me but the ride height looks perfect in that pic.
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Offline turbo-s12

« Reply #17 on: 12:10:43 AM / 08-Nov-16 »
They really aren't that stiff in my opinion^^
I really like your e30 btw!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #18 on: 06:03:36 AM / 08-Nov-16 »
Really? Hm.. I feel like they're one step below coilovers on the current settings. I can't hardly push down on any corner of the car whatsoever.

Maybe it's because they're new and I've only ever had stock suspension on my cars so it feels REALLY stiff to me.

Thanks for the e30 love!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #19 on: 04:54:03 PM / 16-Nov-16 »
Minor update: Magnaflow 3" oval muffler arrived today. Fired the car up to check before/after sounds and saw fuel flowing from the top of the gas tank. Hoping that's just a loose hoose and nothing tank-dropworthy. Suspect it sprung last weekend while I was crawling around in the back of the car.... Either way, free mpg's!

That muffler's gonna do me good though unless it takes an entirely different note at higher RPMs. Goes from turbo tractor to.... Something else. I'll report back once it's formally installed.

P.S. New ECU brought the BMW back to life. It's shelved for the winter while I consider what the hell to do with it.
« Last Edit: 05:02:47 PM / 16-Nov-16 by kelso840 »