Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timing gear removal help  (Read 4826 times)

Offline cmichael818

Timing gear removal help
« on: 04:13:17 PM / 22-Feb-15 »
Can anyone tell me how exactly to remove my timing gear? I need to put it on the new head i have, but the local auto parts store is offering no help at all
« Last Edit: 11:27:14 PM / 22-Feb-15 by cmichael818 »

Facebook Share    

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
Re: Timing gear removal help
« Reply #1 on: 07:21:28 AM / 24-Feb-15 »
Are you talking the cam gear or the crank gear? Crank gear can be challenging, it gets stuck and you have to get creative with removal. It may take heating to get it apart.

Offline cmichael818

« Reply #2 on: 10:28:27 PM / 24-Feb-15 »
Cam gear. It ended up just needing some... "Coaxing" with an impact gun. Got it off the old head an on the new one with no damage to the gear and almost no headache to me after I figured out what needed done.

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #3 on: 08:06:03 AM / 25-Feb-15 »
Good. Now, have you figured out the biggest mystery...how do you position that crazy off-center washer on the other end?

Offline iceageg

« Reply #4 on: 08:38:30 AM / 25-Feb-15 »
A little late on this one but . . .

It is often VERY helpful to put a torch to the gear/pulley/bushing (making sure not to heat the crank/cam/shaft of whatever part).  The heated metal will expand and often pop right off with little to no force.  Not enough heat to discolor it mind you.  Just enough that it is too hot to touch is usually enough.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline cmichael818

« Reply #5 on: 10:43:23 AM / 25-Feb-15 »
Good. Now, have you figured out the biggest mystery...how do you position that crazy off-center washer on the other end?
Correctly, I'm assuming. Someone had gotten in the head before and marked the notches/teeth for me so it was pretty painless to align.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #6 on: 10:44:32 AM / 25-Feb-15 »
And heating the new part makes installation a breeze. Put it in your oven at 200 degrees.

Offline cmichael818

« Reply #7 on: 10:47:19 AM / 25-Feb-15 »
And heating the new part makes installation a breeze. Put it in your oven at 200 degrees.
I just took a page out of the previous owner's book, hand tighten with a ratchet and get a little carried away with thread lock. The same method that gave me and my impact gun so much trouble.

Offline iceageg

« Reply #8 on: 12:30:21 PM / 25-Feb-15 »
I just took a page out of the previous owner's book, hand tighten with a ratchet and get a little carried away with thread lock. The same method that gave me and my impact gun so much trouble.

Yep.  We have a toaster oven in our hangar that is used 99% of the time for heating pulleys prior to dropping them onto drive shaft assemblies.  When cold they are interference fit.  When just the pulley is hot it drops on with wiggle room.  MUCH easier than aligning it all on the press and hoping nothing gets cocked sideways.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #9 on: 01:48:59 PM / 25-Feb-15 »
Hey Ian, are you all set up in Jax? I was there last year at the main airport to help AvMax finish up a major check on our Dash 8. Nice place, I almost looked you up, but was a bit busy. Maybe I'll get another chance soon, who knows?
Ted