Spark issue

Started by MeBoots, 11:52:11 AM / 10-Mar-15

Previous topic - Next topic

MeBoots

New to the forum,  i recently bought an 87 nissan 200sx with ca20e engine that has trouble starting.  I found that im only getting spark on the exhaust side of the motor. I have gotten it to the point where it will start but runs horribly and will not idle if you let off the throttle.  I have checked both coils and they are good,  i replaced the cap, rotor, and dizzy and still having the same issue.  I'm wondering what my next step should be in order to diagnose where my problem is at.  Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Cajun1guy

Run a fault check on the ECU, located near your feet under the left kick panel. Carefully pull that gold box out and it should have directions on it with a list of fault codes. If not, search on here for the FSM 9Factory Service Manual) and there are uploaded copies for our use. The fault codes may lead you to the real issue.

rednucleus

Try switching the intake & exhaust coil wires on the cap - they may be flipped.  The exhaust side is for emissions and don't make the car go.  So you are seeing no spark on any of the intake plugs?
BTW welcome to the club!

weitrhino

I have an 87 CA20 ECU if you need to replace yours.

MeBoots

I have checked the ecu and the only codes I am getting to come up is 44.  And yes there is no spark to any of the intake plugs. the wires are all where they should be.  Would swapping out the ecu be the next step or is there anything else i should test in the system?

rednucleus

Try swapping the two coil wires to see if it will fire up. Also check the intake coil with your ohm meter - easier fix than the ecu. Also take your rotor off and make sure it's not arcing to the distributor post.

MeBoots

I've swapped the wires and still have the same issue, no spark on the intake side.  ill have to see if i can find an ohm meter but i am pretty sure the coils are good.  and i don't notice any arcing to the distributor post

rednucleus

Do you ave an FSM yet?  There are several on EBay - here's one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-NISSAN-200SX-Service-Repair-Workshop-Shop-Manual-Factory-OEM-/171645094600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f6d84ac8
It has a great diagnostic section on step by step testing of components. All you need is a good multimeter and the book for most of the testing. Based on what you have been describing, in my 85 I would be suspecting the ignition module in the distributor - but don't know how that compares to your '87

MeBoots

Thanks for the help! I'll get the manual and see if i can find anything out.  And yeah I replaced the distributor already so I don't believe that to be the issue.

rednucleus

If you replaced the dizzy double check it's not 180 degrees off. You are going to love the FSM - your new best friend!!