Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Restoration project #3  (Read 6932 times)

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
Restoration project #3
« on: 10:02:29 PM / 02-May-15 »
Picked this MK1 a few months ago for $1000.  Body looks good, engine runs fine and interior is in pretty good shape.  I plan to start the restoration this summer and give to my son as his graduation gift.  Will send pictures during restoration. 

« Last Edit: 10:07:18 PM / 02-May-15 by jgonzaga »

Facebook Share    

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
Re: Restoration project #3
« Reply #1 on: 06:47:36 AM / 04-May-15 »
daaaang my first s12 had the same steelies with center caps and trim rings. total memory blast

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #2 on: 04:00:46 PM / 04-May-15 »
I'll most likely swap them out with my favorite XXR wheels and end up selling them.  Let me know if you want them for old time sake.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #3 on: 08:41:20 PM / 04-May-15 »
I need to find a couple of those steels for the S12 I have. It has 3, but two are mismatched generic steels. Either those or Turbo snowflakes for this car.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #4 on: 11:45:34 PM / 10-Jun-15 »
I might end up having a spare set Schizo.. ill let you know as i have someone that wanted a set
Post Merge
dontlook like a bad little rig jgonzaga, im sure it will be a nice gift for him
« Last Edit: 11:47:30 PM / 10-Jun-15 by Prolowtone »
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #5 on: 12:50:53 PM / 21-Aug-16 »
Updated: 08/21/2016

I thought I would update you folks on my restoration project#3.  I am 15 months behind schedule as this project is my sons graduation gift.  He graduated last year so I thought I would finally start this project after hearing for weeks and months, "is it done yet, did you start yet?"

Ready to pull the CA20e which runs great.  I plan to have this motor rebuilt to it's former glory and have it back at 105hp (or was it 99)!

All hooked up.

No problems extracting the motor/transmission.

Mission accomplished!

Steam cleaning the engine bay.

Drying out in the California sun.  That's my secret weapon next to my sons car.  Big plans for that MK1.

Completed stripping the front.  Next weekend, gut the interior, remove all glass, doors and hatch.  I'm hoping the car will be at the body shop by the end of the month.  I'll keep you all posted.   

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #6 on: 05:34:19 PM / 29-Aug-16 »

What is it with cats and builds? 

It's amazing how much rust you will find when stripping these cars.  This is the driver side (rear window).

No surprise here.  Passenger side (rear window)

This is rust located under the spoiler.

Once I removed the spoiler, I was in for a shock.  There would be no way I would tell my body shop guy to repair this.  So................

I pulled another hatch from my inventory.  This hatch is rust free and the class has already been removed.  I still have to remove the dash, carpet and a few more things in the engine bay.  Hoping to get her to the body shop this week.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #7 on: 09:44:51 AM / 30-Aug-16 »
You're one helluva dad, pops! Where is it that you are working on this car? Is that a public rental space in the pictures?
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #8 on: 10:11:34 AM / 30-Aug-16 »
Agreed, Jamie, one helluva Dad! Can't wait for further news on the resurrection.

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #9 on: 07:37:56 PM / 30-Aug-16 »
I do all my major work on a military base at the Auto Hobby Shop (retired military).  Disassembling/assembling the body is done in my carport.

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #10 on: 03:35:44 PM / 07-Sep-16 »

Finally being loaded on a flatbed.

Off she goes to the body shop.

Inventorying all parts.

Also informing my paint guy what color each part will be.

Time to do my own sand blasting.

Ready for primer and paint.

Washing some trim the old fashion way.......hot soapy water.  Ready for painting.  Next step, strip the motor and deliver the block and head to machine shop for new pistons, rings, rod bearings etc.

Offline weitrhino

• '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #11 on: 05:35:50 PM / 07-Sep-16 »
Aside from the $1k purchase price what's your budget for this Mk 1?

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #12 on: 06:36:43 PM / 07-Sep-16 »
I have an unlimited budget when restoring these cars.  However, I do not foresee going over $4000 for this project.

Offline Redneck

« Reply #13 on: 05:44:18 PM / 08-Sep-16 »
Kinda surprised it has that much rust if it was a cali car its whole life. Usually the west coast climate overall isn't that hard on them. You got the average tuners wet dream for the restoration...military base auto shop for the major work AND unlimited budget? Should turn out very nice when it is done! Found it strange with all the work your putting into it your just planning on keeping the ca20. I'd figure you'd at least go ka24 since even that is a huge improvement over the ca20.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #14 on: 06:40:59 PM / 08-Sep-16 »
I new this comment was coming regarding the CA20.  I want to try to keep it original and legal (smog) as possible just as my son does.   As you know, the CA20 is a great motor for road trips and reliability.  He's not a drifter and really appreciates the originality of the car.  He has driven my S12 (SR20DET) many times and could have requested any engine but, he is perfectly content with the CA20.  He did grow up riding in them.  My next restoration project will be a different story.  Stay tuned.

Offline Redneck

« Reply #15 on: 09:20:16 PM / 09-Sep-16 »
I new this comment was coming regarding the CA20.  I want to try to keep it original and legal (smog) as possible just as my son does.   As you know, the CA20 is a great motor for road trips and reliability.

Indeed the ca20 question was coming. At least it is outta the way now haha. Totally solid reasoning for keeping it though. The ca20 is a great motor aside from its lack of horsepower. I always forget about the smog laws being so stringent in cali too. You guys have the most nazi emission and inspection laws in the nation unfortunately.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #16 on: 01:44:14 PM / 17-Oct-16 »
Checked on the car last week.  Coming along just fine.  Should be ready in another two or three weeks.  Until the mean time, I am assembling the CA20e in my backyard.  I took a few pictures when the block and head were at the machine shop.  OEM parts are still available for this motor. 

Next week I will bolt on the compressor.  I'm not sure if I will stay with the R12 which is still available or convert to R134a which is a lot cheaper. 

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #17 on: 01:59:34 PM / 17-Oct-16 »
great, now I feel bad about how my engine looks...  :laugh: but seriously, you've done incredible job with that engine, it looks simply astonishing
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Offline weitrhino

• '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #18 on: 06:18:20 PM / 17-Oct-16 »
Yes, that's pretty nice work. I'm sure having a pleasant environment and a nice engine stand make a huge difference. I'm comfortable saying your knowledge base is far ahead of mine as well.
« Last Edit: 06:18:45 PM / 17-Oct-16 by weitrhino »

Offline S12_Lifer

• S12 for life!
« Reply #19 on: 06:56:24 AM / 22-Oct-16 »
The plans for these wheels, per my sons request, is a chrome lip and spokes powder coated gold.

That's my buddy laughing at me trying to take that first tire off.  Seems like it's always difficult the first time as oppose to the rest of the tires.

Removing the old valve stem and center cap.

Ready to deliver to my wheel guy who has done all of my wheels for my S12's.