Timing Belt

Started by deucekazoo, 03:07:35 PM / 05-Jan-16

Previous topic - Next topic

deucekazoo

I need to do a timing belt once spring hits and was just wondering how hard it is to do? Can I tackle it my self or would it be better to have the dealership do it? If I do it myself should I get a timing belt from the dealership or is there a better aftermarket kit? I am not a mechanic but do a lot of my own work on cars, but have never done a timing belt. So seeing what my plan of attack should be. Also should I replace anything else while I am in there?
Thanks,
John

rednucleus

Basic mechanical skills and tools are all that's needed. Should do belt, tensioner & water pump all at same time while there. Believe same procedure as for the ca20. Need to pull the crank pulley off to get the timing cover off and access the belt & water pump. Pull radiator to make getting at everything easier.  Get an FSM if yo don't have one yet, explains things well and good pics.

weitrhino

^^^ What he said. Anybody can do this job with a little mechanical aptitude although you might find you need a gear puller. Buy one if you don't already have one. It's really worth it not to hassle without one.

kelso840

I've got some detailed pictures of the teardown process on the first page of my build thread. I had... other issues upon reassembly but the photos will be illustrative of what you'll be doing nonetheless.

I could tear it down in less than an hour now that I've done it so many times. First try was probably closer to three hours figuring in a couple trips to AutoZone for the chain wrench and a pulley kit I wound up not using. 100% recommend using a chain wrench

http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=38060.0
Infrequently driving an s12.

deucekazoo

Thanks guys, exactly what I needed to know. I do have a gear puller already and also a air impact gun so I should not need the chain wrench. I need to find my old FSM. I had one when I had this car the first time but not sure what I did with it. Need to look through the closets and the garage.

Cajun1guy

I would recommend getting the belt at the dealer. The OEM belt is marked for alignment with the timing marks and aftermarket ones are not. Makes life a lot easier, and it is not that hard of a job at all. Worst parts are getting the adjuster loose (first time mine stripped inside, it's an allen wrench bolt head) and the pulley might be a bit of a challenge if it's never been off before and it got rusty. Soon as you can get access down there, hit it with penetrating oil to help things out. Reassemble with some grease on the shaft so it will come off easy in the future.

kelso840

My timing belt from RockAuto had two marks on it but there was no way to get them both lined up at the same time. I was able to line it up at the cam and not the crank or vice versa.

I would recommend taking a good look at your tensioner and think about replacing it while you're in there. They aren't too expensive and that was the reason my timing belt had begun fraying in the first place. It had become just barely kicked out of alignment and was pulling the belt forward away from the engine with it.

Good luck!
Infrequently driving an s12.

S12_Lifer

I usually buy the entire timing belt kit along with a water pump.  You should just replace everything in that area and not have to worry about replacing  those parts for a number of years. 

rednucleus

S12_Lifer is a wise man!

deucekazoo

Quote from: S12_Lifer on 10:58:24 PM / 06-Jan-16
I usually buy the entire timing belt kit along with a water pump.  You should just replace everything in that area and not have to worry about replacing  those parts for a number of years.

That is exactly what I want to do and that is why I was asking if there is anything else in that are I need to replace so I only do this once.
Thanks guys.