Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Odd Overheating issue  (Read 3860 times)

Offline JMBSE01

Odd Overheating issue
« on: 01:19:34 AM / 21-Jun-15 »
Drove the car 300 miles from place of purchase to where I live, no issues whatsoever. Next day, it starts overheating.

Shop says, leaking lots of stuff all over from steering and the weep valve for the water pump

Spent 3 days with it in the garage while I put in the water pump after work, water pump is now in and set, seemed to give significant improvement but still overheating.

I also flushed as much fluid from the system as I could.

This leaves me thinking, either not adequately bled or possibly a stuck thermostat?

Gotta find an outlet gasket before I swap out the thermostat for a new one. Any suggestions for bleeding the air from the system?

Facebook Share    

Offline cls12vg30

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.v6-s12.com
Re: Odd Overheating issue
« Reply #1 on: 12:55:57 PM / 23-Jun-15 »
Has it actually steamed or boiled over, or is it just reading hot on the gauge?  If the latter you have to consider a bad sending unit.
1988 200SX SE V6
2015 Jeep Renegade 1.4T

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #2 on: 04:34:26 PM / 23-Jun-15 »
My 85 has never needed anything but drain coolant out, refill, run and top off later. No specific air bleed procedure I am aware of. When mine ran hot the 1st time, it needed a thermostat. 2nd time needed a radiator.  Also agree don't forget about checking sending unit - and I believe there are two - one for the gauge, one for the computer - if I remember correctly.

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #3 on: 06:43:55 PM / 26-Jun-15 »
There are indeed 2 temp sending units on the CA20 in my 85. The one that's easiest to see is vertically mounted and only sends signal to the temp gauge on the dash. The second is under the throttle body's air intake hose and is horizontally mounted. This one sends signal to the ECU for engine control and starting conditions. They are not identical parts.

Offline JMBSE01

« Reply #4 on: 05:30:38 PM / 04-Jul-15 »
sorry for the late reply. to answer your question, yes it did steam over on one occasion. The radiator is one of the most new parts on the car. I have more recently replaced the thermostat, which didn't change much. Was still overheating. currently on vacation for awhile.

Edit: Just to close this out, I decided to just pull the engine and put an SR in instead.
« Last Edit: 01:21:40 PM / 26-Jul-15 by JMBSE01 »