Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel advice/opions (4lug/5lug)  (Read 3203 times)

Offline adroitcaptor

• n00b
  • 1987 SE
Wheel advice/opions (4lug/5lug)
« on: 06:44:47 AM / 20-Jul-15 »
So, since I am looking for informal opinions, I hope it is cool I stick this in the lounge. Not sure where else to put it...
(I have a slammed 87 SE FWIW)

I am conflicted between going full S13 suspension, or hybrid S13/Z32/Z31 5lug (front and rear).
I want to base my decision on wheel availability. I am looking for period accurate [looking] wheels, something like: longchamps, Meisters CR01, etc. (Not too retro like Equip 01/03.) I want to go 0 to neg offset (with a lip... love stepped lips), stay with 16s (16x8.5 or wider), and probably would buy used if possible to keep the cost under 2k. They do not have to be 'legit'; as long as they do not look cheesy. I also do not mind running spacers/adapters for nice wheels with higher offset.

I guess I would like some suggestions for wheels. However, I do not mind some suggestions based on the 4 lug S13 swap. It seems a lot of extra work to switch but I cannot find any cool 5 lug wheels. I def. want larger fender flares and I am not scared to make something fit.

P.S. Not to be picky, but not a huge fan of traditional/cliche mesh (formula, bbs, etc) but love modified stuff like spectrum mesh (thicker and more balanced to the look of the car).

Thanks a ton for any advice.

Facebook Share    

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 2000 BMW 5 Series
  • I Like Gay Girls
Re: Wheel advice/opions (4lug/5lug)
« Reply #1 on: 07:33:39 AM / 20-Jul-15 »
First off, this should have gone in the Visual Mods section in the Tech forum. For categorization purposes.

You have an SE, so you're already up to 5 lug. That's cool. Whatever. What do you hope to gain by going with S13 suspension? Especially since you say "front and rear"? You must know the S13 rear suspension doesn't go onto the S12 without ridiculous levels of intensive and likely irreversible fabrication, and if that's even an option for you, you're likely not undecided on the issue. Besides, for your hella slammed purposes, the shit camber curve of the S12 semi-trailing arms is perfect for cheating on wheel fitment. If all you want is 4 lug wheel options, you can just use S12 parts. Hell, find an XE owner who wants to go 5 lug, and offer a straight swap. S13 suspension is mostly sought after for its improved performance characteristics (including the readily accessible assortment of performance shock/spring combinations) which your slammed car can probably no longer take advantage of. I figure by the time a car is low enough the owner is willing to call it slammed, you've pretty much passed that point. If that's the case, save yourself the money; you don't need S13 components.

I don't really have any advice for your wheels, as our tastes don't intersect at all, I just don't quite understand your suspension comments. If you're looking for what to do there based on wheel availability, stay where you are for suspension.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: 08:59:50 PM / 20-Jul-15 »

I don't know what width of tire you could get that remains 23.5"ish tall. It's really the limiting factor. The car above ran 15x8.5 on all corners with 3.75bs. I figured I could shove 10" in the front and 12" rear if I really wanted to, but tires that size aren't available - it'd take like a 245/45 and a 275/40 or there abouts to do it on 15" wheels. Anymore lip on the front wheels on that car would have required modding the firewall/foot box.

Keep in mind that car above had a crazy scrub radius with no power steering and it would teach the driver what that Intells. One needed to muscle that thing and it made for some white-knuckle driving. I loved that car, but pa salt killed it.

I bought a third, but I'm not going to flare this next one - not anytime soon anyway.

Keep us posted
« Last Edit: 09:09:22 PM / 20-Jul-15 by JonB »

Offline adroitcaptor

• n00b
  • 1987 SE
« Reply #3 on: 03:15:54 AM / 21-Jul-15 »
JonB:
I really appreciate the advice and perspective. Suspension geometry is def something I am concerned with. One of the major advantages of sticking with the Z31 front suspension is RC correction is super easy and your steering alignment follows (rt.trackpro for example).

I was really trying to stay away from this thread becoming a suspension debate. I am mostly interested in wheel options; which is somewhat unfair since I am so picky. lol But any suggestions are appreciated.

That said, SchizophrenicMC:
I have a full and complete S13 front and rear subframe, as well as 2 complete Z32 rear subframes. I can use the entire Z32 uprights, just go with the hubs to stay 5 lug, go 4 lug, and match anything needed. I would say the benefit of going S13 suspension is not only suspension geometry, but it is that much easier to go with 4lug (more period accurate wheels).
The work does not bother me; nor does the cost. I am looking to put a bunch of time and money into my car to make it a great daily.
I hear you on the slammed thing - I am going to raise it. In fact, I am not driving it at the moment because of the horrid aligment/suspension. That said, RC adjusters are effectively drop spindles for the front. Not sure what I am going to do with the rear but I do want to be low. At any rate...

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #4 on: 05:39:35 PM / 21-Jul-15 »
I'll put it this way: Nobody's ever finished an S13 rear suspension swap. I can think of 4 guys offhand who started, but quit midway through for a variety of reasons.

Given it hasn't been done in the 26 years since S13s became a thing, I can imagine there's probably some good reasons. If you have to ask, you probably don't have the tools, knowledge, or money to get it done.  It would be cheaper to pick up an 84 non-turbo with SRA, swap all your SE goodies into it, and call it a day if you want 4 lugs and no horrible camber. I somehow doubt the added performance of S13 geometry will make a huge difference to your end goals, versus a live axle. For daily driving, a well-sorted solid front axle can be perfectly fine; more so for a rear axle. You will lose performance at the limit, especially compared to S13 suspension, but if you're not tracking it, you probably won't have too many issues in that regard.

I don't have any reasons to give you as to not swap to S13 front suspension though. It's near as makes no difference bolt-on, and if you already have all the parts, all the more power to you. You won't gain performance from the swap itself, though it does open up a host of components to you, which could aid in your wheel fitment goals.

With all that being said, I still can't really give you wheel recommendations directly. I'm into chunky 90s and later 5- and 7-spoke wheels with as little dish as possible. But I do know a little bit about suspension and how that can affect fitment, so I'd like to contribute that knowledge if I can.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.

Offline D-sport S12

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan S12
« Reply #5 on: 05:41:35 PM / 21-Jul-15 »
S13 rear suspension and subframe swap has been done
Jesse R

Keichi Tsuchiya: "I'm afraid if I raced you on the street I'd push you to your death."

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #6 on: 08:09:24 PM / 21-Jul-15 »
I've only ever seen a small handful of aborted attempts. Link?

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: 08:22:35 PM / 21-Jul-15 »
I've only seen them on z31 and 1 s12 that is a red full track car from Europe that I can recall.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #8 on: 09:34:31 PM / 21-Jul-15 »
Of the attempts I've seen, one was in eastern Europe, 2 were in Australia or New Zealand, and the last one was in Sweden as I recall. None of them were ever completed, or at least documented as complete. One was even listed for sale on ebay with the half-baked modification.

Offline D-sport S12

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan S12
« Reply #9 on: 09:51:07 PM / 21-Jul-15 »
In canada here, had rb25 in it
Jesse R

Keichi Tsuchiya: "I'm afraid if I raced you on the street I'd push you to your death."

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #10 on: 10:45:25 PM / 23-Jul-15 »
pretty sure there are two s13 rear subframe swapped s12's here in bc. I know that RB25sx - SLPR has it done, i am sure heith also did it to his car but no build thread. im sure a few drifters around the states have done it to http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=13929.320 dono if the pics still work in that link as the internet is shitty here.

Here is another thread to http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=36606.60 same guy different pics http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=37253.msg397061#msg397061
« Last Edit: 10:57:29 PM / 23-Jul-15 by Prolowtone »
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #11 on: 10:06:30 AM / 24-Jul-15 »
Mad.

But you can definitely see the level of fabrication required to do it. Certainly not a job for the faint of heart. (Or anyone who has to ask about it)

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #12 on: 08:13:18 PM / 24-Jul-15 »
Yup totally agree that its no simple task, more work then the average joe could do without finishing with fucked up alignment :(
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.