Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [CT] 84 srs hatch ka-t swap 355hp  (Read 2505 times)

Offline superDorifto

[CT] 84 srs hatch ka-t swap 355hp
« on: 03:11:16 PM / 19-Aug-15 »
My car is an ongoing project.  After 5 plus years I'm starting to look for something new.  Open to anything rwd of equal value.  I'm partial to blue-emerald s14s

The car started life as a CA20e auto turd.  Has been garage kept in ct it's whole life,  it is rust free, has decent but not perfect paint, and a very good original interior.  I have everything from the original owner except the window sticker.

For the sake of ratings:
Body 8 - 10 (some clear coat oxidation on the roof)
Interior 8-10 (Door cards are not perfect, but close enough)
Cool factor 10 - 10.

Swap began at 90k on chassis after the previous owner had just sprung for new brakes...Build motor has about 1500 miles and 2 seasons on it.  Just street driving and highway pulls.  Only 200 miles or so are with the new pwoer level/turbo.  The previous set up was a s15bb turbo at 14psi.

General swap info:
84 srs (SOLID REAR AXLE) s12 swapped to a ka-t with a 5 speed.  Runs and drives great.  Recently tuned at 355 hp @18psi (stock head is limiting....def more power to be had in the current build)  THe majority of the money spent has been on the engine/turbo system.  THere is not an original bolt or nut forward of the firewall, and all Fab work has been done by myself or my machinist.  I'm glosing over a ton of minor details, but literally every part on this engine has been massaged to play nice with the rest of the set-up. 

ENGINE:
BUILT OBD2 KA
Crower I beam rods
Clevite bearings
CP piston .020 over (9:1)
ARP mains align bored
New oem oil system from courtesy nissan (pump/pickup)
AMS 11mm Headstuds
Oen head rebuild w s13 cams
Modified Valve Cover for COP and push to connect PCV system
ATI Race Damper
Gold TF pulley kit (modified SR)
Modified Godspeed Intake (in retrospec should have bought xcessive...oh well...all oem idle controls intact and working - mounted to bottom of the manifold.)
All new oem accessories (starter/alt/dizzy) and sensors except where noted

FUEL:
Modified oem rail
All -06 braided lines
Aeromotive stealth pump
Aeromotive fpr with fluid filled gauge
-06 Inline sintered bonze filter
Deatchwerks 950s

TURBO:
Gtx2876 w t3 vband turbine housing
Custom 304 stainless ram horn mani
New enjuku locking exhaust studs
Mr gasket copper exhaust gasket
Water cooled MVR44
1.75" dump....sounds epic
DEI wrap on all coolant lines
3" Stainless dp to custom catless exhaust, 3" all the way back and over the axel, its pretty well tucked, if slamming is your preference (all vibrant)
Brand new intercooler ducts (all vibrant)
HKS SSQV....with the mother Fucking gold insert
Ebay 28x4x18 custom front mount (besides the godspeed mani, this is the only other ebay part on the whole car)

ELECTRONICS:
Aem ems v2 running MAP and COP with audi coil packs
Partially tucked obd2 harness...everything unneeded is depinned - with the mods I made to the intake, you can pull this harness in under 10 minutes and the entire engine in under an hour...Ive had to many times throughout the swap.
Aem boost and wideband gauge
Digital oil pressure gauge
Aem v2 meth injection kit
Aem boost control solenoid

CHASSIS:
hybrid s13 front suspension swap
Powered by max s13 coils
S13 ABS rebuilt knuckles powdercoated chrome (new oem Bearings/seals)
S13 ball joints in modified s12 lcas
Techno toy tuning tc rods
Fresh s12 rack, depowered
Enjuku s14 adjustable outer tie rod ends
Z33 inner tie rods
Modified cannuck racing rear lowering springs
Powder coated z32 30mm front brakes
Ebc red stuff pads
Custom tucked brakelines
Chasebays booster delete(turbo was touching)
Willwood clutch slave (stock 5/8")
Rebuilt rear drums
Varrstoen 16x8+12s with Toyo proxes R 245/55s
Powered by max lugs and valvestems caps
Zg replica fender flares-running a 38mm spacer in the rear...lol I need wider wheels.

I'm into this thing for a dumb amount of money, and I don't expect to get most of it back, but I will laugh at lowball offer.

I stopped keeping track last year but I'm easily over $20k...

I guess ill start at $15k, but hey let's see if anything interesting pops up

I would consider selling/trading just the shell with the suspension mods for $5000

More pics upon request.

Dyno vid:

« Last Edit: 09:22:17 PM / 20-Aug-15 by sideways_s12 »

Facebook Share    

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
Re: 84 srs hatch ka-t swap 355hp out of CT
« Reply #1 on: 05:19:15 PM / 19-Aug-15 »
Fuck you.

EDIT: My initial post was too nice.
« Last Edit: 05:31:56 PM / 19-Aug-15 by SchizophrenicMC »
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline superDorifto

« Reply #2 on: 06:23:54 PM / 19-Aug-15 »
I deserve that.

But I still want a new project.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #3 on: 07:09:12 PM / 19-Aug-15 »
Part the car if you think you want anything approaching a third of what you're asking. There is not an S12 in existence that is worth $15k.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.

Offline superDorifto

« Reply #4 on: 07:10:05 AM / 20-Aug-15 »
Maybe not, but a fully finished turbo 240 with a swap(sr/rb/jz) with quality parts does.  The shell I chose just happened to be an s12....I'm not expecting it to sell, but I've listed it anyways.

Prolly going to put another couple grand into it this winter with a full paint job and head work to max out the current turbo....

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #5 on: 06:26:18 PM / 20-Aug-15 »
Dude my whole engine build is less than $8k for a bottom-up rebuild with the same power goal and more expensive components than yours, turn-key. It's a KA, they're not worth much. Once you figure the massive depreciation on them, that $8k build is worth maybe $4k? Not to mention the S12 shell is worthless.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
Re: [CT] 84 srs hatch ka-t swap 355hp
« Reply #6 on: 09:26:08 PM / 20-Aug-15 »
Theres a shell here in vegas with a one off suspension and z31 rearend built by a shop and he wants 2500 for it so yeah 5k not gonna happen..... it's  still for sale btw and has been for the last 3 years....

Offline superDorifto

« Reply #7 on: 10:28:23 PM / 20-Aug-15 »
Dude my whole engine build is less than $8k for a bottom-up rebuild with the same power goal and more expensive components than yours, turn-key. It's a KA, they're not worth much. Once you figure the massive depreciation on them, that $8k build is worth maybe $4k? Not to mention the S12 shell is worthless.
I know what I paid...I did the work.  I've also been around these cars for nearly 15 years, and whenever someone posts a decent build on any site, zilvia, nicoclub, etc, someone can always build it cheaper

You're right, the engine only cost $5800..its the custom hardware, and the other machined parts and fittings where you spend money on a build.

The clutch, the electronics, shit adds up. 
Just to do the front suspension swap and the turbo swap cost me over 5k in parts this winter...not to mention any of the custom work to get all that shit to play nice together.  I guess I could have saved a few bucks by buying cheap parts but I didn't...everything is new and everything works.

I also didn't build for this power level, this is just where we stopped upping the boost....there's more in the system and its dead reliable.  Turbo is 450whp capable, but I like conservative tunes...keeps shit from blowing up.

Not really looking to fight with anybody over it either.  If you can build better for cheaper, go ahead.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #8 on: 05:56:07 AM / 21-Aug-15 »
My $8000 appraisal isn't just the engine it's the entire car to support it. Fuel system, clutch, flywheel, cooling system, custom exhaust, 3.7:1 LSD from a J30, MegaSquirt III and all that that entails, including tuning. And that price has the machine work for the engine baked in. Like, I got a spreadsheet and everything dawg. All this for an engine that will daily drive above 450hp, but is tuned to 350whp for personal reasons. (ie 450whp is stupid in a car of this vintage.)

That all adds up to $7,800. And if I sold it all as a unit I MIGHT get $3k. If I parted it, I'd probably get it closer to $6k. Cars are odd in that there's no synergy. They are worth considerably less than the sum of their parts. And the same is true here. The first thing you can do is subtract your time from the equation. It's worth less than nothing. And then your parts don't add value to the car itself, so you might as well part it, and most of the parts won't hold nearly their retail value once they've come out of the shipping container. Anything custom adds 0 value- if it breaks, and parts break, the next guy will have no idea where to start to replace it.

None of this is to mention how ridiculous the notion of a $5k shell is. Especially an S12 shell.

If you wanna make even a little bit of your money back, part it and have the shell crushed. Then kill yourself for thinking you could sell an S12 for anything NEAR $15k.

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #9 on: 10:42:30 PM / 21-Aug-15 »
LOL Schizo... You do a helluva job slapping a man's balls! I think the car is a beauty, but it is only going to be worth what someone is willing to pay. I don't have the kind of $$ to throw at my S-12's, I just want good reliable DD's and some fun while doing it. I know I could never recoup a fraction of what I did to them, I am certain one of them will eventually belong to my son who is 12 now. Though, I may have the wifey give up her Fit Sport instead...
superDorifto GLWS, or keep her and do the paint and further refinements and know YOU did that!