Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Idiot's S12, From sitting on bricks to picking up Chicks  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Village Idiotâ„¢

Disclaimer: This car has yet to pick up any Chicks. And the pictures suck, next update will actually be planned.

So, I'm a new guy to this forum, I figured why not get the introduction out of the way as well as start the build thread. I've been working on it for a few months now so there is a lot to primarily cover, but first some information about me. I'm a 21 y/o LPN who would rather spend his hours in the garage working and or welding things for no apparent reason. I pushed myself into the medical field for money but it's not what I have passion to do. So of course I every minute I'm not at work I'm where I love to be. I've grown up restoring cars with my dad, currently we have our 41' Special Deluxe which is sort of a father son joint project that will never end undoubtedly. A 79 Firebird I'm stripping and caging at the moment and my 87 200SX. His daily is boring so we can avoid that. So Anyhow without further pointless rambling here is the Jalopy I received from the Sticks of PA. I Actually traded my MK1 Supra I was in the process of restoring for the S12. I wasn't about the large boaty car, although it was pretty cool to have one of the only few going to meets around Pittsburgh.

This is exactly how I got the car a couple months ago, hardly running. (Looks are very deceiving) A very poor Vg30ET swap into a CA Model. Previous owner left both wiring harness and a boat load of unnecessary things, rather than properly splice the existing harness or make his own he decided to create this ungodly mess I'm about to show you.

I knew what I was getting into, and I was practically unphased of the magnitude of the project until the drive shaft bolts failed halfway home. He also used the wrong bolts, with no washers, or lock washers, or rubber insert bolts (The ones that help with vibrations.) Tow Truck call 1 shortly ensued. 

As you can see, the retarded amount of wiring that was done in the engine bay. Notice the exposed wires, lack of wire looming or even electrical tape. I was surprised it even started when I first saw it to be honest.

Here is after I relocated the unstrapped down battery, relocated the coolant tank, Removed any unnecessary wiring and tucked the looms. I maybe had an afternoon in the whole process. During this time I also did both manifold Gaskets, Coolant reroute to avoid the Mani and Intake Valve Cover gaskets and any other misc Stuff. Deleted what didn't need to be and moved on.

The valve covers and intake manifold are both Wrinkle black, because Ferrari.

I also Added the 1:1 AFPR, which I decided it was easier to weld the bracket for it to the timing cover while I had it off, keeps it in a nice tidy place. I'm not sure why but you'll notice my fuel filter is actually in my return line, if that goes to show you the mental integrity of the previous owner.

The interior is pretty alright, I know you're asking right now where is my cluster. I have a CA 200sx cluster and a Vgz31 Cluster and choose to use neither. My GPS covers my MPH, I now have a ridiculously huge Sunpro Super TachII On the dash, and of course all of the other gauges to monitor engine/ouput. And my radio is indeed mounted there, and it does fully function. The door cards are Luan wood, wrapped in some random fabric I found at Walmart, I rewired the driverside master switch and its now located Miata style on the center console.

My CV Bolts also broke, recently. Did not make for a fun morning while I was changing them out on the side of the road at 630AM.

Here's the skinny on the car currently.
Vg30ET/FS5R30A/Welded R180. I Have a R200 I will be welding in my free time to replace the 180. Emusa Front Mount, Boost Controller (13lbs), Accel Coil, Adjustable AFPR, Ka24de TB, I ported the plenum best I could. Greddy Type-S BOV. I keep having charging issues so I'm currently in the process of fitting up a GM One Wire Alt, actually just finishing the brackets now.

I recently took it to a RaceDay but it was still running pretty Meh. My buddies 2014WRX only had a fender on me in the 1/4 but then again I'm sure reaction time and what not had a lot to do with it. The plan isn't to actually drag it or anything, i just like to support the local events, It will be a wall tapper for sure. Just probably after this winter when i get everything squared away.

Facebook Share    

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
Re: Idiot's S12, From sitting on bricks to picking up Chicks
« Reply #1 on: 02:58:07 AM / 06-Oct-15 »
Welded diffs are bad and you should feel bad.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #2 on: 09:52:15 AM / 06-Oct-15 »
Nice, well-spoken introduction. Changing an oil pan sure has to beat changing a bed pan any day.
« Last Edit: 08:27:34 AM / 07-Oct-15 by weitrhino »

Offline iceageg

« Reply #3 on: 11:32:57 AM / 06-Oct-15 »
That's the schizo we all love and tolerate.  Keep putting in work and welcome to the party.  If the information you seek about your car isn't on this site it doesn't exist.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #4 on: 12:53:49 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
That's the schizo we all love and tolerate.  Keep putting in work and welcome to the party.  If the information you seek about your car isn't on this site it doesn't exist.
Don't take Schizo's remarks personally. He will grow on you in a few years.

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #5 on: 06:47:47 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
Cool build, nice to see some action on this site. Also great to see someone who is into wiring, as most of us would have passed on a mess like you got into. Keep us posted on your adventures.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #6 on: 09:18:09 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
Don't take Schizo's remarks personally. He will grow on you in a few years.

If it takes less than a year, you may have Stockholm Syndrome and should consult a medical professional.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #7 on: 09:20:27 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
Got some recommendations? I lurk here way too much...

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #8 on: 10:10:49 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
I would love to see more how he fit the VG30ET in side that bay with the bottom mount turbo area clearing the steering rack and the rear cross pipe.
Other then that, looks like a nice project tho, that vg30et should lay down some serious fun.
1987 - Project: Fairlady Silvia
1986 - Project: Serenity (backup daily driven)
1986 - Project: Dread Pirate Robin
wonderingarven.net

Offline Village Idiotâ„¢

« Reply #9 on: 10:44:17 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
I would love to see more how he fit the VG30ET in side that bay with the bottom mount turbo area clearing the steering rack and the rear cross pipe.
Other then that, looks like a nice project tho, that vg30et should lay down some serious fun.
You probably don't want to see that LOL. I'l post pictures of the mounts tomorrow but I cant tell if its ingenuity or shear stupidity. The ZX mounts got chopped and welded to Channel Steel which then got welded to the front frame. It shifts like you are pulling a loaded trailer but its a'ight. I'm making some custom mounts for it as soon as I get the right gauge metal. Its hard to find metal around here, most of the industrial places left when our local steel mill got bought out by a Korean Company.

The Charge pipe for the turbo is sorta goose neck shaped and made out of random chunks of metal, it will also be getting fixed. I'm going to have to pull the engine this winter anyway, pretty sure the rear main has a small leak but it will make it easier to sort this mess out anyhow.

Thank you guys for the comments! I'm happy to have finally joined the forum, I've been having issues getting validated for almost a month. Looking forward to being a part of the community!

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #10 on: 11:02:32 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
Just out of shear curiosity, I would love to see what we (meaning I) would call "tweaker" build haha, if you can score simple sev6 parts like xmember, engine side motor mounts and you can get away with hocky pucks as the actual mounts and is it using the sev6 oil pan front sump or was that rear as the z31?
wonderingarven.net

Offline Village Idiotâ„¢

« Reply #11 on: 11:35:23 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
Yeah the new motor mounts are probably the next big project, which will require pulling the engine and cutting the old ones out  :glare:

That will definitely get cataloged on here, same for when I make the new charge pipe. I'm a bit of a fabricator, I don't have a 100K$ shop with all the cool things but I have everything I've always generally needed.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #12 on: 11:48:43 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
I am also curious about these shears, which I also feel have a stupidity to them. But that's sheer pedantry.

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #13 on: 11:54:41 PM / 06-Oct-15 »
Well, I wanted to get to the point of it...  with the biggest scissors because it is cutting into my curiosity!
wonderingarven.net

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #14 on: 12:23:31 AM / 07-Oct-15 »
I want your wheels that style has grown on me and I need a set for my s12 when I get it ...

Offline Village Idiotâ„¢

« Reply #15 on: 06:11:07 PM / 07-Oct-15 »
Well, I wanted to get to the point of it...  with the biggest scissors because it is cutting into my curiosity!
The puns lol

I want your wheels that style has grown on me and I need a set for my s12 when I get it ...
Which ones? The fronts are 16x8 Rotas and on the rears right now I have a set of 17x8 Montegi's , both are fairly cheap wheels. I daily on the Rotas and keep the other ones for burn offs at the track, I just carry one around as a spare because the PO didn't give me a donut. I can't remember either offset off of the top of my head but the 5 spokes are definitely low, they fit surprisingly well between the quarter panel and misc suspension parts.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #16 on: 08:53:37 PM / 07-Oct-15 »
The black ones in the first pic!

Offline 8SixS12

• Get it done already!
  • Vehicle: 1986 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #17 on: 12:47:45 PM / 08-Oct-15 »
The black ones in the first pic!
From the front those look like XXR 522s since the spokes stick out past the face of the wheel. Always wanted to see somebody attempt a VG30ET swap in an S12. Can't wait to see how they did it. Hack-job or not still interesting.
"Sense is not always common" -self quote

My Build Thread: http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=36053.0

Offline Village Idiotâ„¢

« Reply #18 on: 10:55:57 PM / 09-Oct-15 »
From the front those look like XXR 522s since the spokes stick out past the face of the wheel. Always wanted to see somebody attempt a VG30ET swap in an S12. Can't wait to see how they did it. Hack-job or not still interesting.
Yeah they are XXR's, I don't know why I was thinking Rota's. Both are rep wheels and fairly cheap to be had which is nice!

The letter of the day is B... As in really F***ing Big boost leak.
 I ended up replacing all of the controller/WG/BOV lines i ran a few weeks ago because it's cheap and easy. Didn't end up being the issue. Checked all of my couplers and they are all firm and plenty good. I'm pretty certain its the previous owners intake design, there is less than a quarter of an inch of pipe going into the coupler on the turbo inlet, I'm assuming it was like this because i can't even get it out. There is literally no clearance between turbo and mount, either it was put on before the mounts were welded or you have to take the turbo off to get it on or off. A rather poor design I'll be sure to correct when I am making the new mounts.

While I was under there I took a few pictures to show you guys the swap, definitely some Riggery going on in this engine bay.

Intake and Outlet Pipe

Driverside Mount, I could have literally laid down a better bead than this blindfolded. It's solid but the penetration and consistency of these welds are frightening.

Passenger Mount, same design.

Subframe

I also gaped my plugs slightly more in from factory today because when I get to around 10 or so PSI the engine hesitates pretty hard. I'm assuming its spark blowout so hopefully that will solve the issue.

Offline Village Idiotâ„¢

« Reply #19 on: 06:59:14 PM / 30-Oct-15 »
Been a good while since I've updated anything.

While the car was down I decided to freshen it up a bit, the color is called Kinetic Teal. It came out a ridiculous amount brighter than I thought it would but I still love it! I still have to repaint all of the window trim that is cracked and faded after everything cures for a few days.

*Picture coming soon, that one was rubbish*

I'l post some pictures of it outside when I finally get the whole ordeal done.

I also managed to fix my boost lag issue, it was'nt spark gap, it was'nt a boost leak, it was'nt from a lack of fuel pressure. I forgot to put the hose on the Air Regulator on the manifold, so on cold starts I would have a 3/8ths vacuum leak and under boost it would suck in plenty of unmetered air. I fully heated it up and it failed to close all of the way. Which is a problem on a lot of Z's. So what did I do? I made a block off plate and used some cork gasket. Then cracked my throttle body a hair more to improve cold idle  :cool2:

It wasn't the best way to go about the situation but I have a heated garage and probably won't be driving this deathtrap during the Winter this much.
« Last Edit: 07:00:06 PM / 30-Oct-15 by Village Idiotâ„¢ »