Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '84 Grab Bag  (Read 8353 times)

Offline kelso840

'84 Grab Bag
« on: 03:31:26 PM / 24-Oct-15 »
Snagged an '84 Turbo off Craigslist sight unseen. Previous owner said it had lots of new accessory parts and just needed the timing set. Car arrived last Thursday. This car is intended to be a winter driver and cosmetic donor to my '85 hatch of the same color. It's cool to see the different options these came with.

I will be uploading the dealer installation instructions for the "Shade Kit" that must have been on the car at one time. There's four brackets for louvers built into the rear hatch glass. No photos of that yet.

Taken this afternoon. I already popped the hood off and took it out to the dude putting an SR into my '85 of the same color. He's happy to have the clearance. 

It did run when it rolled off the truck and we got some jumpers on it. It ran poorly, but it did run. Drove into the garage under its own power.

New distributor cap, wires, plugs, water pump, alternator were already installed. My guess is whoever changed the water pump didn't get the timing right when reassembling and didn't feel like tearing it down again. The water pump is nestled on either side of the timing belt cover.

Is this belt riding abnormally far back on the cam gear? I pulled it forward and it would always settle back there; but only that far back. I'll be taking note of where it rides once everything comes back together.

Starting to tear stuff apart. I've never done this before so please yell at me if something looks egregiously wrong.

This was sketchy but I don't feel any marring on the pulley where the chain wrench was placed. Tried a bunch of other ways to get the bolt out but it just wasn't gonna happen. Pneumatic tools must be nice.

This is where it is right now. I pulled the timing belt tensioner off and I think that may have been a mistake. Was that a mistake?

Beginning reassembly with (hopefully) proper timing this afternoon/evening/tomorrow. Will report back.

P.S. I'm in love with the camera on the Nexus 5X.

Post Merge

Got it all back together. Runs much better. The tensioner was rubbing against the timing belt cover, which is something I had seen signs of when I first took the cover off. It wasn't audible beforehand but it definitely was when reassembled this time.

Took it off and tried all kinds of ways to get clearance on the timing cover but it looks like I need a new timing cover gasket. Mine is crunched down to almost nothing at the bottom left corner by the tensioner giving me trouble.

Timing belt started to fray a little at the front and that was the end of that breed of experimentation. I'll be buying a new timing belt, belt cover gasket (maybe cover as well), and possibly aa timing belt tensioner.

Anybody have experience with a timing belt tensioner rubbing on the timing belt cover? Sounds neat.
« Last Edit: 12:32:56 PM / 25-Oct-15 by kelso840 »

Facebook Share    

Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
Re: \'84 Grab Bag
« Reply #1 on: 05:03:04 AM / 25-Oct-15 »
Use a real image host. Google Photos sucks, especially for forum use. I suggest imgur.

As for your timing belt question, it looks pretty normal to me.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
Re: '84 Grab Bag
« Reply #2 on: 01:52:22 AM / 26-Oct-15 »
I miss playing with the single cam 18et! I've never had a rubbing issue between the tensioner and the cover. The gasket may give it the space it needs but I'd buy another cover to be on the safe side. If you are planning to keep the 18et I'd remove the pop-off valve and replace it with a 1 inch npt pipe plug and I'd also mod the ovc pipe on the turbo side. Cut the end off and get a silicone coupler that fits the both the turbo and the pipe I think you may need a reducer. The orange gasket becomes a pain the ass and doesn't hold up for shit even when new plus it's a pain in the ass. It was a shitty design on nissans part. Other than that change up the exhaust and call it good since you are just planning to daily it! Good luck and happy wrenching!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #3 on: 07:26:36 AM / 28-Oct-15 »
Seems to be running alright; pretty rich and backfiring a bit when you wind it up. The belt fraying was a result of having the crank gear cover (basically a keyed metal saucer riding between the crank gear and crank pulley) facing the wrong way. Should have noticed it was backwards because why would you ever have a flat/sharp anything facing the belt? It was backwards on initial disassembly and had been run enough to leave gear imprints on the concave side. So even though we briefly questioned the direction, we figured those gear marks were a good indicator and went with it. Blowout diagram settled that real quick.

The timing belt tensioner was still rubbing against the cover but that stopped after about a minute. Don't feel great about that but I'll remember it and keep my ears open.

Next up is to make sure I don't have a bubble in my cooling system. It started making weird sucking gurgling noises after running for 3-4 minutes. Then it's on to see what's causing the car to putter down and want to die when I apply brakes. There is almost no pressure in the pedal but and the reservoir is filled with clean brake fluid. Hopefully just a bleed. Probably not.

What's the best way to lean out my air/fuel mixture a bit to see if that'll stop my backfire? Also, how pronounced can a lifter tick be before it's no longer a "tick", and should be addressed?

Imgur has been failing to log in the entire time I was writing so y'all get Google Photo links for now.

It runs like this. https://goo.gl/photos/fWVBvcZtu6ibvx759

Brakes have no resistance so I need to bump that up in priority so I can actually test drive it. It still makes really strange intermittent sounds (annoying kid sucking on a straw at the bottom of a paper cup filled with ice) when idling and backfires pretty good when you get close to 3k rpm.

I unplugged the O2 sensor and it runs exactly the same. Heading to the mechanic's tomorrow to yank the practically new one off of my spare 18et.

Here's a photo of the bracket for louvers I don't have. I forgot to do anything with the instructions today. They aren't very exciting. They would be an absolute pain to remove or install. Definitely easier to swap the whole hatch. https://goo.gl/photos/r3AQzAFEwkfxkWcM7 - https://goo.gl/photos/f45uwVv5VheypG417 - https://goo.gl/photos/2c9FH8LZVXKwrcF77

I was looking for a lug wrench in the trunk after breaking a ratchet and found these: https://goo.gl/photos/zQi5LQP3CKDHaqcC6

I've been looking at past threads for my symptoms so I've got to ask. It seemed weird but kept being said. Does the (cracked) rotor grounding itself inside the distributor cap make a sound? I don't think that's where one of my weird sounds is coming from but who knows.
« Last Edit: 06:46:35 PM / 28-Oct-15 by kelso840 »

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #4 on: 11:00:11 PM / 28-Oct-15 »
Good to hear of another CA18ET running. There are a lot of haters on here for that engine, but mine has been doing great since I got the car in 1987. The ticking on the valves is just a lash adjustment, no lifters involved. Rocker arm has adjustment in it for the valve lash.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #5 on: 11:50:22 PM / 28-Oct-15 »
Hydraulic lash adjusters are the superior form of lash adjustment
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: 05:17:13 AM / 29-Oct-15 »
Yet, every time I can, I opt for mechanicals. My lifters need adjusted bad - probably haven't been set since 1999. They rattle a lot, but it's a cacophony of light taps.

Did you run codes?

Offline kelso840

« Reply #7 on: 07:32:33 AM / 29-Oct-15 »
Doing that after I swap out the 02 sensor today. Something simple that I haven't done before. Hopefully it's not a litany of codes.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #8 on: 11:27:37 PM / 29-Oct-15 »
KA time. Who needs lifters?

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #9 on: 02:15:54 PM / 02-Nov-15 »
sounds like you have some work ahead of you. Definitely check the codes might lead you directly to the problem...

Offline kelso840

« Reply #10 on: 02:47:36 PM / 02-Nov-15 »
Injector is dead on Cyl 3. Runs exactly the same whether it's plugged in or not. Unplugging any of the injector clips cause it to putter out and die.

Heading out to the shop and picking up 4 injectos, TPS and getting to it.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #11 on: 07:18:06 AM / 04-Nov-15 »
Runs better with a new injector but it's still not right. It's running very rich and starts to backfire pretty consistently at 2k rpm and it sounds like it's coming from the intake? Could my timing still be wrong?

Tried 2 different MAFs and didn't see a change. More research it is.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #12 on: 09:14:16 AM / 04-Nov-15 »
KA time.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #13 on: 10:36:48 AM / 04-Nov-15 »
My orange boot is slightly a little damaged but I'm not positive it's letting air out. This would help explain why the a/f mixture reaching the cylinder is rich. Probably good to change it anyhow. Is that clamp really spot welded onto the pipe? http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=20916.0

More to come.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #14 on: 06:37:37 PM / 04-Nov-15 »
Cut the pipe at the weld and replace it with a silicone coupler that thing is gonna give you headache trust me. I've replaced a bunch of them before I just cut the end off and got a coupler. Cut at the weld. You'll need a reducer. As for your other problem sounds like your 180 out on the dizzy also make sure the plug wires are hooked up right to the ignition coils...

Offline kelso840

« Reply #15 on: 08:51:52 PM / 04-Nov-15 »
Sideways, I'm not sure what you mean by 180 out on the dizzy but I think you may be right. I redid the timing (4th - 5th time: From 0 to oodles of experience) to TDC and it ran better but still backfired around 2k rpm. Swapped in the factory distributor assembly from my '85 and it wouldn't start at all. Woops. My dad thought to pull it and turn the motor over before re-seating. No idea why, or if it could have been dangerous, but it worked.

Fired right up and now winds out without much fuss at all. Still running pretty dang rich; something I'm attributing to the busted orange boot that will be getting replaced tomorrow per Sideways' suggestion. Huge improvement overall though. 

Idle is a little rough yet, but it sounds like that's not uncommon. I still have the nastiest damn tick I've ever heard over cyl 3 against the valve cover. That's bugging me big time. 

Offline kelso840

« Reply #16 on: 11:00:20 AM / 08-Nov-15 »
Reassembled everything (minus AC) yesterday. Hit it with some Seafoam and let it smoke like crazy for about an hour. Power steering pump has a little whine to it, but overall it seems to be doing alright.
https://goo.gl/photos/Dzb3xuCWkmZhrD6Z6

There's also exhaust leaks. https://goo.gl/photos/RE6JCYoWSHZd6uyQ8

I've got a master cylinder and orange boot replacement on order which will hopefully be the last thing before it's time to test drive.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #17 on: 10:20:26 PM / 08-Nov-15 »
When I said 180 out I meant 180 degrees out on the dizzy. But it seems like you got that problem fixed. Now are you replacing the orange boot or are you going to cut the pipe  and replace with a coupler like I suggested? Also you may be running rich due to the pop off valve leaking it's that weird looking thing on the top back part of the intake manifold. 1 inch npt pipe plug fixes that issue...

Offline kelso840

« Reply #18 on: 06:50:08 AM / 09-Nov-15 »
I'm replacing with a coupler. That boot is a very poor design. I'll also pick up a 1" npt plug.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #19 on: 05:41:42 PM / 11-Nov-15 »
Awesome! Well if there's anything I can do to help via  the forum let me know!