Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '84 Grab Bag  (Read 10587 times)

Offline kelso840

Re: '84 Grab Bag
« Reply #20 on: 04:18:43 PM / 14-Nov-15 »
Got the new master cylinder on and brakes bled, so that's sorted.

Went for a test drive and the car has something wonky in the front suspension. Like, really wonky. No idea what it is, but it is not being driven anywhere except a shop to have somebody else align/diagnose.

So now, the engine. Still kind of sucks. Despite only being able to drive it a few hundred feet twice because the suspension, I can tell you for sure that it has absolutely no oomph to it. Not sure what that's about, but we ran a compression test and it has 100 across the board. That's not good.

I've got some decisions to make before the snow falls.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #21 on: 07:29:41 PM / 15-Nov-15 »
Only 100 across the board huh? Turn up the boost lol Is the dizzy timing good? I had an issue with my old red car the dizzy had to be in full advance in order to feel any power before boost, when boost kicked it was fine...

Offline kelso840

« Reply #22 on: 09:25:15 AM / 17-Nov-15 »
Car is at the shop being looked at by the dude who has my '85 SR car. Poor guy's inheriting all my crappy project cars.

Oh well. Stay tuned for results re: suspension and whatever else gets identified as a source of error.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #23 on: 12:34:33 PM / 17-Nov-15 »
Awesome! Good luck hopefully it's nothing to major...

Offline kelso840

« Reply #24 on: 07:45:09 AM / 18-Nov-15 »
I've got the best mechanic. This guy goes above and beyond anything I would even feel comfortable asking him to do.

Exhaust valve was reportedly stuck completely closed on Cyl 3 and the turbo is seized. Valves have been adjusted and I hear the car is now running "100% better" in NA form. The turbo from my spare 18et (sitting in the corner of the shop with both my crappy s12s) has been pulled, cleaned, and will be installed today.

"Something in the rear suspension is FUCKED UP. I had it up to like 40-50 test driving and it felt like the wheels wanted to come off. I'm going to look at it today while I've got it in the air changing the turbo."

Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: 07:52:45 AM / 18-Nov-15 by kelso840 »

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #25 on: 11:39:00 AM / 18-Nov-15 »
Sweet that's not bad. Sounds like you may have a wheel bearing issue in the rear...

Offline Shanes1233

• n00b
« Reply #26 on: 11:56:22 PM / 18-Nov-15 »
I was going say wheel bearing as well. But glad you have a good mechanic! Sounds like the car will be pretty mint after the better turbo and some rear end work! Keep the updates coming!

Offline kelso840

« Reply #27 on: 07:35:48 AM / 19-Nov-15 »
**Update**

Rear subframe bushings have disintegrated. Replacement poly bushings have been ordered. Should be the last thing and I'll be on the road.

So now that it's looking like I will be saddled with two functioning cars in the future, it feels safer to start planning for that situation.

I'm torn on what the long-term plan should be for both of these cars now. My '85 has a minor tweak in the frame just behind the driver's headlight which kind of gives it a snaggle-tooth look being that the bumper juts up from left to right a bit. This damage was hidden by the stock air box, and I didn't notice any effect of such during the 3-4 months I was able to drive it before, well... See my other thread for that sadness. My fault.  Body panels and almost everything else on that car are 7.5/10 at least. That's the one getting a new motor, which I had planned to make a long term fixer-upper, spirited daily driver.

The '84 has spots of rust on the rockers where the skirts (now gone) meet the flaps and minor bubbles of surface rust on all 4 fenders. The interior of the '84 is a little dingy, but complete and functional including digi-dash, voice, and trip computer. It also has the weather stripping and uncracked honeycomb grill that the '85 does not. Could be a good bodywork learning template?

I'm not sure I want to hodge-podge an 84.5 together come spring like originally planned. I also don't think I can justify having 2 s12s for very long being that I live in a front porch cabin apartment. With any luck this '84 will get fully resurrected and I'll be able to slosh it around through the winter and make the tough decision to sell or store it come spring when the '85 should be road-worthy.

This concludes my mid-morning rant. There will be more.
« Last Edit: 08:05:50 AM / 19-Nov-15 by kelso840 »

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #28 on: 12:12:06 PM / 19-Nov-15 »
I would set one up for a daily driver and the other I would use as the powerhouse/ spirited fun weekend car.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #29 on: 04:39:49 PM / 07-Dec-15 »
I'm going to be trying to sell this car soon.

I've got way more money in it than it was ever worth and I don't feel like continuing down that path. It runs and drives now with a little bit of knock from somewhere in the block. Desperately needs tires, but I don't know if that's money I want to shell out at this point. I know I'm not going to get crap out of this car but let's see if I can pass it on (honestly with full disclosure of condition and known issues) to somebody that wants an s12 project before considering other means of relinquishing it from my possession.

Lesson: don't be so trusting. Seems to be one I've learned a couple different times already.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #30 on: 09:14:53 PM / 07-Dec-15 »
KA time.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline kelso840

« Reply #31 on: 07:02:03 AM / 08-Dec-15 »
I'm game if you source a KA and do the work.

Offline SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #32 on: 09:46:35 PM / 08-Dec-15 »
You mean you're gay if I source a KA and do the work.

No time for laziness here. I got a KA swap done on a $0 budget. So can you.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline kelso840

« Reply #33 on: 10:42:50 AM / 19-Dec-15 »
Been driving it for the last couple days. Rod knocks. Clutch slips. Whole car wobbles because I need 4 tires. Looked like this when I got temporary plates early last week.

It looks like this now. We'll see how long I can drive it.

Flight Panel (Complete with busted radio panel)

Offline kelso840

« Reply #34 on: 11:24:50 AM / 20-Dec-15 »
Got new tires today. Drives perfectly straight without any wobbles or pulling. Next up, if I so choose, is to have the exhaust fixed. It's rusted through just before the muffler but I honestly don't mind the extra noise. Then, MAYBE, will be looking into swapping out the clutch on this car for the clutch that came out of my '85 car. This one is slipping pretty good but isn't something I feel needs to be addressed immediately.

It's weird to be driving something strangers want to talk to you about.

Put 50 miles on it in the last 3 days without any major issues. Let's see how long it lasts. 

Offline kelso840

« Reply #35 on: 12:25:39 PM / 22-Dec-15 »
About 30 more miles on it this afternoon around town. Had it up to 70 for a very brief stretch without incident.

I do have something going on that needs resolved. It seems to be limited to starting again after reaching full operating temp. I will start after having driven the car and it will idle low. 3-500 rpm with a pretty good wobble and miss. Doesn't die, but doesn't pick itself up if you just let it sit either. I take off from the parking space (happened 3 times today - same conditions) and it just misses like crazy as I get through first gear. Same with second, but being in gear with RPMs climbing seems to fix.... whatever is going on by the time the clutch is engaged in 3rd @ 2500 - 3000 rpm; roughly 30-35mph.

After I make it cough itself straight it runs perfectly until I turn the car off and restart it again. Then it's the same symptoms and solution. Odd. 

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #36 on: 02:17:22 PM / 22-Dec-15 »
Did you buff the car? Seems like it's clear on one side and dull on the other lol GLWS if you are indeed selling it....

Offline kelso840

« Reply #37 on: 09:59:26 AM / 23-Dec-15 »
The whole car is buffed.

I'll probably throw a For Sale sign on it with a wishful number and just keep driving it and working on making it better and see what happens. People stop me to talk about it and I always say it's for sale.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #38 on: 10:30:21 AM / 23-Dec-15 »
Car looks real good after you buffed it.
My first 86 was that color and also the second 86 I just bought. I love that color and it just glows when you buff and wax it.
Don't sell it, fix it up and keep driving it.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #39 on: 10:19:03 AM / 26-Dec-15 »
I'm starting to think this sounds too light to be a rod knock. What do you guys think?

https://goo.gl/photos/iXjxbfbzcoMCDk3F8
« Last Edit: 10:21:50 AM / 26-Dec-15 by kelso840 »