Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turbo ?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline deucekazoo

Turbo ?
« on: 01:31:50 PM / 19-Nov-15 »
Hi guys, I need to get some education on Turbos!
I just bought a 1986 and the turbo does now work. The boost gauge does not move when driving or revving up the engine. I never had a turbo car before so not sure what to check or look for.
So here are the questions so I can start to learn.

I am guessing this is a bottom mount turbo? I have seen some kits on EBay for top mount turbos. Is there a preference for either one? Any advantage of one over the other?

What type of flange is the stock turbo?
Internal blow off valve?
Rebuildable?

If the turbo is dead, what can I replace it with? The car is going to be a daily driver so a little more HP would be nice but I want it reliable and don't need to push 400+ HP.

Not a turbo question but is there anything I need to replace or check on the engine that is an issue with this car?

Thanks for any help,
John

Facebook Share    

Offline Shanes1233

• n00b
Re: Turbo ?
« Reply #1 on: 05:08:49 PM / 19-Nov-15 »
Hey John welcome! Congrats on the new turbo 12! Where do ya hail from?

Does it have the digital dash? If so, sometimes the boost gauge will stop working.

Yes bottom mount turbo! And no real reason to upgrade to a different manifold unless you are willing to drop money into the little ET.

The turbo has a t2 flange
No blow off valve, rather, it has a pop up/off valve.
Yes the turbo is rebuildable, just look for kits online

You can replace the turbo with an t25 from an SR or a vg30et.

And just do regular maintenance on the engine. Check the plugs, wire, cap and rotor, all fluids. Get a compression test done as well for some piece of mind. That way you know where the engine is health wise.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #2 on: 08:21:56 AM / 20-Nov-15 »
Yes it has the digital dash and I though about the boost gauge just not working.
It just did not seem to have pep when I stepped on it to merge onto the highway. But that could be other issues. I think the rear RH brake might be catching.
I have no issue to throw some money at this thing and that was the plan. For now I just want to get it running correctly and make sure everything is good to go. I will do the basic plugs, wires, cap/rotor. I am also going to change all the fluids out with Amsoil. Then I will get the Poly suspension kit. The rear bushing are gone and clink every time I take off or go over a bump. I will be ordering the whole kit probably spring time.

So will the T25 turbo bolt up to the flange?

What is the turbo called that is on it right now?

Thanks for the help.
John

Offline Shanes1233

• n00b
« Reply #3 on: 05:07:34 PM / 20-Nov-15 »
Not sure what the turbo is called but I know it's a t2. And the t25 will bolt up, yes. It doesn't have much pep from the get go. They are OK but need some help getting to the point of having that pep. But it should not have mug trouble getting to highway speeds. They only have 120hp factory. Very de-tuned from the factory. Read as much as possible. A lot of people have decent success getting some power out of it with just intercooler, blocking off the pov and/or adding a bov and using a manual boost controller and giving it a few more psi of boost. Just be careful and make sure you do a good tune up and get yourself a good boost gauge! There are quite a few people that have used the det internals in the et and made well over 200whp.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #4 on: 02:51:40 PM / 22-Nov-15 »
Just a slight correction the vg30et is a t3 flange and will not fit. definitely upgrade to a sr t25g. also remove that pop off valve and replace it with an 1 inch npt pipe plug. If want a top mount you'll have to have one fabbed up. As far as I know I'm the only one with top mount for a 18et. if  your looking to make power your going to have to definitely have to freshen up the bottomend and look into getting a standalone like megasquirt the stock ecu is a pain in the ass to try an tune with just an safc...

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: 08:37:54 PM / 22-Nov-15 »
Pull the intake pipe to the turbo off and see if you can spin the turbo by hand. Not always, but if the turbo is stuck, the car is a super dog.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #6 on: 08:10:02 AM / 23-Nov-15 »
Thanks guys!
I will try to get the oil changed tonight so I will see if I can spin the turbo by hand. I will also see if there is any play in it.

I really want this to be a daily summer driver so I don't need a lot of HP. I know they don't have a lot of power but a little more than what it has now would be nice.  I will look into getting a SR T25G. I am guessing the SR is the 240sx family of cars(SR20), the T25 is the flange size and what does the G stand for? Garratt?
What is a good price for a T25 turbo? Should I stick with a Garratt? I will not buy an EBay turbo, don't worry.

I will also get a good boost gauge. Does anyone make a pillar gauge pod for these cars? Where do you guys mount yours?

Thanks,
John

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #7 on: 12:37:10 PM / 23-Nov-15 »
t25g go for about 100 to 150 bucks I believe the g does stand for garret. Most sr guys get rid of them for cheap to upgrade to a t28 which will also work on our manifolds the t25g should add a little pep to it. you'll need to remove the pop off valve. it's a fail safe to over boosting but it's old and most likely leaks....

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #8 on: 12:57:31 PM / 23-Nov-15 »
Do a search on the forums, you can find info on a pillar mount. I have one that fits PERFECT that is for a Mazda. I found the info in here. Take a large syringe with a silicone or rubber line and plug it in where the rubber line goes to the boost transmitter (under the vacuum pump, passenger side firewall) and you can operate the boost to see if the trans is stuck. Mine stuck in the past and it unstuck when I did this. Also, I have had the turbo stuck on two occasions, I was able to unstick it by turning it with my fingers. Don't know what stuck it, maybe a large piece of carbon broke loose and wedged in the turbine.

Offline Shanes1233

• n00b
« Reply #9 on: 03:07:44 PM / 24-Nov-15 »
Just a slight correction the vg30et is a t3 flange and will not fit. definitely upgrade to a sr t25g. also remove that pop off valve and replace it with an 1 inch npt pipe plug. If want a top mount you'll have to have one fabbed up. As far as I know I'm the only one with top mount for a 18et. if  your looking to make power your going to have to definitely have to freshen up the bottomend and look into getting a standalone like megasquirt the stock ecu is a pain in the ass to try an tune with just an safc...

the vg30et came with a t3 flange yes, but they switched to a t25 after some time(could be the other way around). Cant remember off the top of my head what year z31 they changed it. Buddy of mine is a z31 guru and knows all about it. Thats how I even know lol.

Just asked again. 88-89 z31 came with the t25. All turbo z31 before 88 were t3.
« Last Edit: 03:10:17 PM / 24-Nov-15 by Shanes1233 »

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #10 on: 11:43:35 AM / 25-Nov-15 »
Ahh I never knew they made the switch. I know z32s run twin t25s but from what I understand they are shitty turbos..

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #11 on: 08:00:32 PM / 27-Nov-15 »
So the Z32 turbo's are called tb2209's and are great turbos for daily/ autocross. i made 180who/180wtq with stock 210k mile bottom end and a better cam with a home (my time and energy) port and polish and of course supporting mods at 15psi. I.E. intercooler, boost controller, and safc.  i daily drove mine and autoxed it for several years before the #4 rod bearing dictated a rebuild so i went with 18DET internals forged aftermarket versions, and i have taken it only once to the dyno since the rebuild and the i was able to make the same 180whp/180wtq with 10psi after more porting and a better down pipe and exhaust fabbed up.  i now have megasquirt and a gt2560r turbo and hopefully will have a dyno sheet before next autox season with what i would hope to be around 250whp or so.  the little 18et's are great little motors and if you take care of them right they will last, but if you get greedy well then expect to spend some time and money on a rebuild.  Smash is correct about the top mount being a custom setup and him basically being the only one to get one before Bart vanished.  i still have the stock exhaust mani and its holding up great to the 15psi from my gt2560r.  welcome to the club and have fun with your new boosted car.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #12 on: 05:16:14 PM / 28-Nov-15 »
Your Post confused me for a second lol. Anyway How did the megasquirt install go? and the 18det rods are direct replacement yes?

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #13 on: 09:55:06 PM / 28-Nov-15 »
Hey yeah the megasquirt has been up and running for almost a year now.  i daily it with no problems other than a glitch here and there from other things in the car it is very good i just need to drop the cash for a true tune rather than my learning to tune tune.  and the 18 det rods are a drop in though you have to use 18det pistons as they are different wrist pin sizes.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #14 on: 03:27:30 PM / 07-Mar-16 »
Look what I found locally.
It came from a S14 SR20DET engine.
I think it's the T28. I know it will take some extra modifications to get it running but I could not pass up the price and that it was local.

I will not install this until I have everything else done to the car and running good.
So to get his running safely, what do I need to start saving up for and don't say a new engine! Haha
« Last Edit: 02:30:16 PM / 25-Jul-17 by deucekazoo »

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #15 on: 06:26:09 PM / 07-Mar-16 »
It's a direct bolt on, You could probably get away with running off wastegate and be fine... but if your looking to have piece of mind your going to want bigger injectors, anything aftermarket and your going to want a fuel rail fabbed up I did a write-up where I used 450cc inj from a dsm with the stock rail it's a good budget fix untll you get money for a custom rail you can go with 190lph walbro and that should supply enough fuel and not overrun the stock fpr.

Edit..... You can also get the same hose barb style from an 80's mercedes 190e iirc and they are 460cc I believe and they would be a direct replacement.If you haven't already remove the pop off valve...

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #16 on: 08:14:47 AM / 09-Mar-16 »
I have not removed the pop valve yet. Not even sure where it is. The car has been under a car cover and tarp. It is getting close for me to pull it out and start working on it.
Thanks for the injector info. I will probably update them and the fuel pump once I put in the new turbo. Do you know the stock injector CCs? It would be nice to know what I am going from/to.
I had a friend at work look at the turbo. He said there is shaft play and it will need to be rebuilt. Do you know if there is a way to tell if this is a BB turbo or normal from the outside?
Also any recommendations on which company to get the rebuilt kit from would be great.
Thanks,
John

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #17 on: 12:42:39 PM / 09-Mar-16 »
Get in touch with IGGY Iguana on this site. He has been the turbo expert on here and rebuilt many of them.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #18 on: 08:32:53 PM / 09-Mar-16 »
I have not removed the pop valve yet. Not even sure where it is. The car has been under a car cover and tarp. It is getting close for me to pull it out and start working on it.
Thanks for the injector info. I will probably update them and the fuel pump once I put in the new turbo. Do you know the stock injector CCs? It would be nice to know what I am going from/to.
I had a friend at work look at the turbo. He said there is shaft play and it will need to be rebuilt. Do you know if there is a way to tell if this is a BB turbo or normal from the outside?
Also any recommendations on which company to get the rebuilt kit from would be great.
Thanks,
John

Injector size is 290cc's iirc and no the turbo is journal bearing ball bearing turbo's end in R like gt28r would be ball bearing and gt28 would be journal bearing. IIRC Iggy said the t25 turbo rebuild kit works for the t2, (stock 18et turbo) t25 (stock 18det turbo) and t25g (stock sr turbo) but if you have a replacement turbo I wouldn't bother rebuilding the t2 it's a paper weight anything after 10 psi is hot air.

This is the Pop off valve and it's location.

« Last Edit: 08:50:14 PM / 09-Mar-16 by sideways_s12 »

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #19 on: 09:58:02 AM / 10-Mar-16 »
Thanks for the pic. Its nice to see what it looks like and where it is.
A little misunderstanding. I am going to rebuild the new to me T28 and not the T2 that is on the car right now. The T28 has a little side to side shaft play. I thought it be a good idea to get it rebuilt before I put it on. The guy I bought it form had no idea on how many miles it had on it.
The Gpopshop place sells a 360 kit for this turbo for $150. I also found a place in Australia that shipped in would be $75 or so that looks good. I did not know if someone on here had a specific place they like to get the rebuilt kits from.
Thanks for the info.
John