Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turbo ?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
Re: Turbo ?
« Reply #20 on: 07:41:30 PM / 10-Mar-16 »
No problem. I've heard decent things about gpopshop but don't have any dealings with them personally...

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #21 on: 07:41:45 AM / 31-May-16 »
OK so for a little update.
I have been working on this thing for a little while now. I fixed the sagging door, painted the intake box and battery tray. I also installed new ground cables and a new power cable going to the starter. This weekend I put on new tie rod ends and finally had a chance to pull the intake pipe off to look at the turbo. It was a pain to get to the clamp on the bottom. So found out the turbo is a goner. I tried to spin the propeller by hand an nothing. I even put a socket on the end bolt and nothing. It is seized up pretty good. Good think I picked up the T28. I still need to get it rebuilt. But for now I need to change out every vacuum hose I can get my hands on. Every hose I touch is falling apart. I ordered a 50' spool of silicone tubing. I can't wait to get that in so I can fix this thing. Besides the turbo not running the car runs good. I have been driving it here and there. Still a lot more things to fix to be perfect but it will get there one of these days. Having fun working on it. 

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #22 on: 10:49:26 AM / 31-May-16 »
How did you fix the door; where did you get parts?

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #23 on: 02:23:41 PM / 31-May-16 »
I bought the parts at the Nissan dealer. They still sell the door bushings and hinges. The price sucked. They price the parts per piece, which I did not know that but should have. I think the pins were $12 each and the bushings were $5.50 each. So 4 bushing and two pins to do one door. It nicely closes now, no more hitting the locking bracket.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #24 on: 08:19:59 AM / 07-Jun-16 »
Replaced the vacuum hoses. Well all the 3mm ones. Went for a drive and had no speed showing. I think replacing the hoses I probably wiggled some wires. Old wires old connections. So now I am going through all my connections, unplugging them and using contact cleaner. Then I am putting silicone grease on the plug and putting them back together. This is working, some plugs were nice and clean and some were very oxidized. Still need to do a few more plugs especially the injectors. Well that fixed the speedo issue and my hesitation at higher RPM.
I also replaced the small vacuum hose from the vacuum pump going to the boost gauge and the cruise control. This line was hard to find. It is very small but I found it at Oreilly's if anyone is looking for some. They have it on a spool in the back. Now I finally have a boost gauge. Well it still does not show boost because of the turbo but it now goes into vacuum, and moves with the throttle. Before it just sat at 0.
This weekend if I have time I want to tackle the rear bushings and shocks. It sucks going over a bump and the car shifting sideways every time with a clunk.

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #25 on: 11:55:02 AM / 07-Jun-16 »
Great progress! Good to see another S-12 coming back to life.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #26 on: 09:48:44 AM / 31-Oct-16 »
So removed the old turbo from the car. That was fun. I had to remove the header with the turbo, I think that made it easier. I had to move the power steering reservoir over to get enough room and pulled it out the top. The hardest bolt was the header bolt under the turbo. That one took a little while to get out. No room to get my hands in there.

So found out that the old turbo has a 4 bolt flange going to the downpipe. The new turbo has a 5 bolt flange and they slightly differ in bolt patern so can't really use the existing downpipe. Which is not a big deal because the used turbo I bought came with one. The only problem I see is that the new one does not have the port for the EGR tube.
So now I need to figure out if I need to weld up a port for the EGR tube or just remove the EGR stuff. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: 01:56:00 PM / 02-Aug-17 by deucekazoo »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #27 on: 11:15:22 AM / 31-Oct-16 »
Get rid of it unless you have state inspections.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #28 on: 11:23:35 AM / 31-Oct-16 »
Blanked mine off years ago! Like he said ^^^ depends on your emissions rules.

Offline deucekazoo

Woohooo its alive!!!
« Reply #29 on: 09:08:56 AM / 28-Nov-16 »
I hooked up everything this weekend and it fired up. It runs great and I don't have that hesitation problem anymore 20 minutes into the drive. I think the old turbo was swelling when it heated up choking off the engine. This thing feels a lot better when it has some power.  :laugh:
I was smiling like a little kid at Christmas driving this thing.

Here is the old turbo compared to the new one. Old on left and new GT2560R on right.

The old downpipe did not fit. The flange was different. The old had 4 studs and the new one has 5. So new downpipe added.

Also added a turbo blanket to keep it warm.

I cut the stock coolant lines and added compression fittings to add the new braided lines.

What took the longest was getting all the connections to connect the turbo to the throttle body.
But it is finally running.
« Last Edit: 02:00:32 PM / 02-Aug-17 by deucekazoo »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #30 on: 10:59:23 AM / 28-Nov-16 »
Congrats man! The little 18et feels really good when it's boosting properly. Hope the snow holds off a little while longer so you get to enjoy it more.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #31 on: 12:29:08 PM / 28-Nov-16 »
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. I hope the snow holds off a little longer so I can drive it a little more before I park it for winter.

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #32 on: 01:01:25 PM / 28-Nov-16 »
Great install, now you can enjoy the little engine that could! I would love the more aggressive engines, but I still enjoy what my CA18ET can do for me with a bigger turbo.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #33 on: 03:32:57 PM / 28-Nov-16 »
I have never seen that EGR tube. Where exactly did it go from the downpipe? Is that just a USDM thing? or Mk2 thing? Perhaps my engine is not as stock as I thought...
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #34 on: 11:04:33 AM / 29-Nov-16 »
CzechSilvia,
The EGR tube goes to a solenoid looking box on the side of the air box. Its a metal tube from the downpipe then switches over to a rubber hose. From the solenoid box it loops back into the air box by the MAF.

Post Merge
So finally took some engine shots. Yes the pipe from the turbo to the BOV is a 2.25" exhaust pipe. I needed it bent at 70 degrees and they don't make silicone elbow at that angle. I did find an aluminum pipe on Ebay that is bent at 70 degrees and I will probably get that next year to clean it up a little or actually add an intercooler to this thing. I will decide next year.

« Last Edit: 02:04:51 PM / 02-Aug-17 by deucekazoo »

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #35 on: 01:17:54 AM / 30-Nov-16 »
Thanks for the reply, it must be a Mk2 thing then...
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Offline Cajun1guy

« Reply #36 on: 02:24:36 PM / 30-Nov-16 »
That looks nice! If you decide to intercool the set up Keith had lots of great photos of his. I basically copied his design and will gladly share my photo albums with you.
Ted

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #37 on: 09:48:45 AM / 01-Dec-16 »
That would be great. I like to see some pictures to get ideas. Thanks.

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #38 on: 07:55:27 PM / 07-Apr-17 »
Hey quick question, which down pipe did you use for the turbo? was it for an sr20det in an s13 or s14 chassis? looking to redo mine since i had to make a custom one long ago.  and the thing looks like its coming along nicely  congrats

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #39 on: 08:16:24 AM / 10-Apr-17 »
Yes its the down pipe for the S13 guys. But it is at a slight different angle. You are going to have to modify it or your pipe going to the cat. Its funny I was just working on that this weekend. I cut the donut looking part off the pipe going to the cat and I welded the flange to the pipe following the angle of the new downpipe. Its not much of an angle just enough for the mounts at the cat not to match up. I did not have time to finish, I still have to grind the weld flat on the mating surfaces. Should finish it today unless it rains.
I bought mine off eBay
SR20 SR20DET STAINLESS TURBO OUTLET DOWNPIPE ELBOW EXHAUST FOR 240SX S13 S14 S15