Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loss of power mid skid.  (Read 4350 times)

Offline Shanes1233

• n00b
Loss of power mid skid.
« on: 02:10:30 PM / 11-Dec-15 »
I will be mid skid or doing tight circles in first and it seems to fall off even if I stand on the gas, it just losses power and I have to either start over or clutch kick again to get power back. Checked all, sensors etc. My old ca20 seemed to whip around better....

Facebook Share    

Online rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
Re: Loss of power mid skid.
« Reply #1 on: 04:12:12 PM / 11-Dec-15 »
How full is your tank? Starving pump??

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Drift Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #2 on: 05:27:56 PM / 11-Dec-15 »
WHere is your rev at when you loose power?

Mine was at 4500 rpm when I would loose power all together, you have to bounce the rev above 5-5500 rpm's to keep her sliding with speed, and that can be a little rough but pump your tires to 80 psi in the rear not anything less more the better and it helps a ton.

Don't floor the gas, as if it was an under powered ca20 / 4age, you will also need to balance the rev and the gas. It is tough at first but it takes some time learning her. Only time you should mass the gas is during a power over drift initiation. 

the vg30 climbs power at 3k rpm but, best is at 5k-5500 from what I have found, 2nd and 3rd gear.

Like for example here is some raw cuts of my drift last year in the vg30 / s12
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhu0SLbICz5XJD5KtmGHksWdt_YgxzYT7

« Last Edit: 05:31:59 PM / 11-Dec-15 by Wonderingraven »
Hacker | Streamer | Gamer | Drifter
1987 - Project: Excalibur Prime
1986 - Project: Serenity

Offline Shanes1233

• n00b
« Reply #3 on: 07:19:49 PM / 11-Dec-15 »
WHere is your rev at when you loose power?

Mine was at 4500 rpm when I would loose power all together, you have to bounce the rev above 5-5500 rpm's to keep her sliding with speed, and that can be a little rough but pump your tires to 80 psi in the rear not anything less more the better and it helps a ton.

Don't floor the gas, as if it was an under powered ca20 / 4age, you will also need to balance the rev and the gas. It is tough at first but it takes some time learning her. Only time you should mass the gas is during a power over drift initiation. 

the vg30 climbs power at 3k rpm but, best is at 5k-5500 from what I have found, 2nd and 3rd gear.

Like for example here is some raw cuts of my drift last year in the vg30 / s12
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhu0SLbICz5XJD5KtmGHksWdt_YgxzYT7

I am around 4.5-5k when it loses power and straightens out. BUT, I have just had it happen in first gear mostly when practicing tight circles with the car, trying to get used to it. I have always had under powered cars, So I am used to having to pin the throttle and keep it in high revs. I will have to try second gear and see if thats more comfortable and easier to keep in a keep power band.

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Drift Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #4 on: 08:11:02 PM / 11-Dec-15 »
first gear you will get a mish mash of power, 2nd gear is where you want to be if you are doing drift circles.  5-5500 if it hits 6k don't worry.  Best thing about the vg30 it has alot of torque and power at the high revs, regardless of the numbers shown, when you feel the rhythm of the rev bounce and gas you will see how easy it is. Tire pressure is also key or it will grip as soon as you loose rev at 5k
« Last Edit: 08:11:58 PM / 11-Dec-15 by Wonderingraven »
Hacker | Streamer | Gamer | Drifter
1987 - Project: Excalibur Prime
1986 - Project: Serenity

Offline Shanes1233

• n00b
« Reply #5 on: 10:03:49 PM / 11-Dec-15 »
I will have to try second tomorrow then. My vg has 144k original miles and has not had the timing belt replaced yet, at least thats what I was told. Woman bought it new in 1988 then gave it to her daughter in 1990. She owned it til this year and said she had never had it replaced, so I want to get it done before I bash limiter or come close to it. It does run very very smooth though, almost to smooth. What suspension were you on in those videos?