Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Audio wireing help  (Read 1092 times)

Offline SheppS12

• http://arh.8k.com
Audio wireing help
« on: 05:24:50 AM / 15-Mar-16 »
Am kinda surprised my Login still works... But anyway, my brain has gone to mush, so I ask for help.
1 Amp @ 400W RMS @ 2ohm
2 Speakers @ 200w RMS @ 4ohm

Wired in parallel, the amp will put out 400w RMS @ 2ohm, the speakers receiving 200w RMS @2ohm each. 

in the deep recess of my mind, with lots of other useless information, I think i would actually need 400w RMS @ 2 ohm per speaker, meaning this amp is actually too small.

Can someone chime in and say I'm going mad and I'm wrong, the speakers only need 200w RMS @ 2ohm?

Facebook Share    

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
Re: Audio wireing help
« Reply #1 on: 10:10:34 AM / 15-Mar-16 »
The speakers don't "need" anything above a nominal wattage to function. E=IxR

Offline iceageg

« Reply #2 on: 11:38:14 AM / 15-Mar-16 »
The speakers don't "need" anything above a nominal wattage to function. E=IxR

What he said.  Worst case scenario you have a wider margin before you blow them (if you have enough power to do it at all), and you may encounter some signal distortion at lower volume because you are pushing a higher % of capable power.  It should work just fine though.

I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #3 on: 10:39:16 PM / 15-Mar-16 »
All that said, you're more likely to blow a speaker by under powering it and that's because if you really get the system rocking you will drive the signal into clipping earlier than with a higher power amp. If you can afford more power you're better off getting it.

Offline iceageg

« Reply #4 on: 12:45:00 AM / 16-Mar-16 »
Just depends on the margins.  Definitely best to run with matching equipment, particularly if you are going to push it.  Millions of people run components that are not ideally matched without ever blowing anything.  If you are competing, pay extra to match things properly.  If you are just listening while you cruise you are most likely fine.  If you just listen and push it once in a while it just depends on the quality of your components and where you are in relation to your margins.

One thing is for sure.  As weitrhio pointed out, pushing say 75% of a 200 watt amp (150 watts) will generally give you much lower sound quality and component life than 50% of a 400 watt amp (200 watts).  As with so many things in life, just make sure you are realistic about your desired outcome.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over