Replacing Drive Shaft with the SR20DET

Started by S12_Lifer, 02:08:39 PM / 15-Jun-16

Previous topic - Next topic

S12_Lifer

Before purchasing a new carrier bearing, I decided to do some research on a one piece Drive Shaft (Aluminum vs Steel).  Since I'm an old guy, my main concern is vibration.  I decided to go with the one piece Aluminum Drive Shaft.  I found a shop near my work and gave them my measurements.  A few days later, the drive shaft was ready for pick up.

Worn rubber on the carrier bearing which caused me to consider the one piece drive shaft.

Removing the rear flange from the differential.

My new one piece aluminum drive shaft.

Comparing the rear flange.

I decided since I was in this area to replace the rear transmission seal as well as the transmission mount.

Here are the part numbers from the items I purchased.

New seal installed.

Removing the old mount.

As you can see, my old mount is worn and needed replacing.

Removing mount from the cross member.

On with the new mount.

Mount and seal replaced.

I wanted to go with some new bolts so I purchased these.

Perfect size.

Bolt fits very well on the new flange.

In goes the new and much lighter drive shaft.

Just my luck!  The flange is so thick, I cannot insert the bolt when matched to the differential.  I thought about grinding the bolt but why when I can just use the original bolts, which I did.

Original bolts fit just fine.

Refilling the gear oil which was lost when removing the drive shaft.

As you can see, the 3" drive shaft fits nicely along the tunnel and there is plenty of space for the hand brake cable.

Close up of the slip yoke which is about 1" exposed.  No concerns there.

As you can see, the rear flange fits nicely on the differential. 

Once starting, I noticed a slight vibration during idling.  The Nismo mount is suppose to be 20-30 percent stiffer. Nothing really major.  Acceleration was instant and smooth.  I did notice more vibration when driving anywhere from 70-90 mph.  I'm going to give this drive shaft a month or so of testing and decided to go with it or to convert back to the two-piece (with a new carrier bearing).

weitrhino

Nice work. Just out of curiosity can you ballpark the figure on having that new shaft made?

S12_Lifer

$400-450 with a one year warranty.   He does offer military discount so let me know if your interested. My wifes S12 has a one piece steel drive shaft which cost me about $300 a number of years ago.  She has the CA20e and has no vibration what so ever.

sideways_s12

Nice work! I figured the nismo mount might cause a little vibration from stiffness. Is it bad at those speeds or would you consider it tolerable?

S12_Lifer

I am still noticing vibration while driving 65-90 mph.  The vibration is tolerable but, if your into a smooth comfortable ride like me, it can be annoying.  I'm only driving at these speeds for about 10-15 minutes (to and from work).  I can't imagine driving to Vegas or Arizona with the vibration.  I am seriously thinking about going back to the two piece.  This Aluminum shaft should be the same measurements if you have a KA or even the CA.  I may place this shaft on the "Want to buy" link.