Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stiffer Springs  (Read 867 times)

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
Stiffer Springs
« on: 10:24:08 AM / 09-Jul-16 »
I'm in the process of replacing my steering rack after it took a poop on me.  There's just too much involved with rebuilding it myself so I bought an OEM refurb from Rock Auto and new bushings. While I'm under there I see my right strut is blown and has leaked oil all the way down to the hub so now that's on the agenda for the near term. But I'd like to drop in some stiffer springs and hoping somebody knows a good option. I'm not trying to lower the car, in fact I'm happy to keep the stock hight but firm up the ride instead. Also had one of my 3 ton jack stands give way. Can you say "Jesus moment?"

Anyway, would this be best achieved with just springs or with different springs in concert with different struts? Can anyone who's done the same give recommendations on specific springs and struts?
« Last Edit: 08:54:11 PM / 09-Jul-16 by weitrhino »

Facebook Share    

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
Re: Stiffer Springs
« Reply #1 on: 01:49:08 PM / 09-Jul-16 »
The canuck motorsports springs are pretty good stiffer than stock IIRC it keeps stock ride height if not it's only a 1 inch drop... I had them all around on my black car in my sig it'll get you a good idea of the stance...
Post Merge
I also had tokico struts
« Last Edit: 01:49:44 PM / 09-Jul-16 by sideways_s12 »

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #2 on: 02:13:01 PM / 09-Jul-16 »
Is that black car sitting on 14" wheels? I'm also hoping stiffer springs will help prevent wheel rub when I get the suspension rocking

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #3 on: 06:39:29 PM / 09-Jul-16 »
they are 15x8 0 offset

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #4 on: 09:02:16 PM / 09-Jul-16 »
they are 15x8 0 offset

Im now running 15x7 with 0 offset and there's too much poke in front allowing fender rub when the suspension is compressed, that's why I'm hoping stiffer springs would solve the problem. How did you stop that from happening? Losing an inch with Canuck springs would mean they'd have to be really stiff. Because I'll have to replace the struts I might as well do it all at the same time but I'm not really into an S13 conversion, too much down time scrounging for parts and I'm impatient anyway.
« Last Edit: 09:03:14 PM / 09-Jul-16 by weitrhino »

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 09:56:58 PM / 09-Jul-16 »
They were stiff enough not to rub I never had an issue rubbing with my set up... Tokico struts with the canuck springs I tow strapped it through cali on some shitty roads there and never once rubbed... Same for here in vegas never had a rubbing issue. I honestly think you'll be fine...

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #6 on: 05:25:47 PM / 14-May-18 »
Finally getting back to this.

I've done some measurements and math and pretty well know what spring specs I want for the rear which presents the majority of my rub issue since replacing the front struts. But I've not been able to find specific guidance for balancing spring rates front to rear.

Stock spring rates for the front at 119 lbs/in with the rear at 129 lbs/in. That's a pretty close ratio I figure must be due to the pretty even corner weights, but is there a golden rule for the relationship between front spring rate and rear spring rate?
« Last Edit: 05:27:05 PM / 14-May-18 by weitrhino »

Offline BOSSMAN

• http://
« Reply #7 on: 01:33:06 PM / 15-May-18 »
If I recalled the spring ratings for the after market Suspension Technique and Tokico springs were 175/175 lbs/in F/R and the Eibach progressive springs were 180-225 and 180-225 F/R; this is for the S12 and not  some Frankenstein 280z front z31 rear combo.   If this is the case then it would be safe to have the the same spring rates for the front and back.
« Last Edit: 01:59:01 PM / 05-Jun-18 by BOSSMAN »
86 CA18ET....owner since 1990.
The name is Bossman, but you can call me Mr. Panda....My other car is a Buick....
My Skyline is here!  My Skyline is here!

Online JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: 10:50:04 PM / 15-May-18 »
From what I understand;

The weight of each end of the car plays a role, but generally the end that you want to bite less, you add more spring rate. This impedes the load transfer, therefore those tires bite less. You can do this with swaybars, shock compression(rebound on the opposite side), and roll center, depending what you want the car to do. If it's a v6 or v8, it's going to have more roll, and more tire load(bite) in the front, with the same rate at both ends of the car. This is why I don't think there's a "general rule" - some guys have S12s with V6s and air condionining, while others have i4 without ac nor ps, with the battery in the trunk;)

So that being said, if you wondering why most sportier suspensions have higher spring rates than base models, yet lower spring rates mean more mechanical grip, this is because 1; most sportier models sport stickier tires, and 2; a soft suspension can creat oscillations of movement which can make the car harder to control at the limit. Also consider that a stickier tire is going to generate more static grip, and induce the dynamic load transfer to a greater degree.

There are calculators out there to determine an optimal spring rate based on weight.
« Last Edit: 11:00:19 PM / 15-May-18 by JonB »

Offline kelso840

« Reply #9 on: 07:18:39 AM / 16-May-18 »
I'll plug this thread for CM Springs. I'm still enjoying mine. Should be getting my new wheels this week, then I can report back on fitment post-stock.

https://club-s12.org/forum/index.php?topic=38316.0
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Skeeter

• n00b
« Reply #10 on: 07:19:15 AM / 19-May-18 »
I've got a full Z31 Eibach Pro-Kit setup on my mk2 hatch (thanks to the previous owner) and they're pretty stiff, also progressive rate. I think the dimensions on the front springs are different from S12 to Z31, but not positive. From looking at pics of other's cars, it doesn't seem to be too much lower than stock, maybe 1" all the way around lower since the 12 is lighter than the Z. You can run 280zx springs on the front and Z31 in the back. Most aftermarket springs out there will lower 1-2", but have higher rates.

You might look into the MOOG replacement springs if you want stock ride height. I don't remember what the rates are, though. Happy hunting!
93 S13 HICAS - redtop SR, FMIC, Nur-Spec catback, 12psi, untuned, 13.8@98 PARTED AND SCRAPPED
02 WRX - full exhaust, intake, 17psi 13.3@100 SOLD AND THEN TOTALED
91 S13 - redtop SR, CP 9.0 pistons, HKS 264 Step 2 cams, Eagle Rods, Fidanza valvetrain/flywheel, Spec Stg. 3+ clutch, FMIC, welded diff, custom fire wire, 14.7@107  BURNED AND GONE
05 G35 - white, tan leather, RAYS, sexy REPO'D
03 ZX-6R 636 - traded for truck
96 Sierra - 305, 2wd, Cragar D 17's, flowmaster SOLD
89 240sx - bought to flip SOLD
87 200sx - daily KA swapped, still repairing LITTLE BY LITTLE