Transmission Fluid '88 SE Auto

Started by Tapfer, 11:19:35 PM / 17-Jul-16

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapfer

So I haven't had a lot of drive time in my SE but it drives great so far and it only has 95,174 miles on it.  The previous owner has no clue if the fluid has ever been changed...  I have a call into the first owner to get the maintenance records but he's not communicating.  I don't plan on getting rid of my SE any time soon so I could rebuild the transmission if that would be a better option since I would like to keep it an Auto for a bit.

Should I change it or advice?

sideways_s12

Do a trans flush on it. How bad is it?

iceageg

New fluid and filter can make a huge difference and may be all it needs.  Not hard to do and not terribly expensive.  Not much too loose even if it does need a rebuild.
Quote from: VG33ERGazelle? on 04:50:38 PM / 26-Aug-11
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Tapfer

I was thinking of doing an at home flush just running extra fluid through it apart.  I haven't had a chance to check the fluid but the previous owner said he checked it and it looked okay but didn't care to elaborate just the old warning of sometimes fluid changes can go bad (he is a Lexus mechanic  :rolleyes2: ).  I'm not too worried either way just want to do right by the car and keep it rolling.

Edit: I'm unfamiliar with Nissans or I would change it and go since I'm doing a full tune-up.  All fluids I've checked so far have been clean and the right levels.

sideways_s12

if your doing a tune I'd do a trans flush as well for peace of mind honestly...

mc

...i would drop the pan just to see what has settled in there and  clean it up...replace the filter....add a in-line cooler and filter....drill a hole in pan and add a drain plug for future easier drain/service..use best fluid you can afford....i also used TransX additive....it's what I did with my 87 that had 100k when purchased, i sold it with 235k and it never had issues....i recently bought  a Stanza for my daughter with 100k and went through it the same way...it shifts excellent.

ndd

After the pan and gasket is reinstalled and fluid is put back in I've removed the trans cooler lines put the return in new trans oil and the other in a empty container and ran like this to clear out torque converter. Fluid will run clear out. It works well. I know draining and filling leaves old fluid in converter. Using lines to radiator allows the last of older fluid removed

Tapfer

Thanks a bunch guys I've been digging through club_s12 learning what I can! I'm driving the SE from IL to FL on Monday and then changing the fluids & flushing when I get back so I'll update this thread then.