Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The story of my Silvia in my tiny little garage  (Read 10244 times)

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 46k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
Re: The story of my Silvia in my tiny little garage
« Reply #20 on: 04:50:21 PM / 09-Dec-16 »
I put some of those Experimental Engineering bushings in my car last July when I replaced the steering rack. Everything fit perfectly. Are you speaking of the C-shaped bracket that goes over the top of the rack to bolt it down? If so, does the driver side bracket fit correctly?

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #21 on: 03:33:33 AM / 10-Dec-16 »
yes, that c-shaped bracket or strap that goes over the rack with bushing and bolts down to the crossmember. I haven't tried to fit the EE bushings yet but they are made for 25mm brackets and I know that the driver's side bracket on my car is only 21mm wide (I measured it a month ago to find out if z31 poly bushings would fit. Unfortunately the z31 driver's side bushing is not for 21mm wide bracket, the bracket on z31 is apparently either 15/16in or 3/4in wide, whatever that is in normal measurements.)

I think the problem is only on the driver's side ,the passenger side bracket is 25mm even on my car so I there shouldn't be any trouble fitting the EE bushing there.
« Last Edit: 04:23:30 AM / 10-Dec-16 by CzechSilvia »
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #22 on: 10:43:52 AM / 10-Dec-16 »
The bushings are the best you're going to get. I wouldn't want 4mm of possible slop in the rack although I suspect it won't move considering the passenger Side will secure it. With no other good bushing option you might be better off having a 25mm bracket shipped in.  Try Row52.com. You can locate parts cars and get someone to pull and ship for you. The bracket is small and light so shipping from North America shouldn't be too much.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #23 on: 10:53:59 AM / 10-Dec-16 »
You pretty much said what I'm thinking. I totally want these awesome bushings on my car and I hope that getting the correct bracket will be enough to get them fit securely. I was just wondering if anybody has ever encountered this stupid issue before, someone must have, right?
« Last Edit: 10:54:37 AM / 10-Dec-16 by CzechSilvia »

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #24 on: 06:18:04 PM / 10-Dec-16 »
I've seen pictures of two different sized steering racks for the S12, maybe one was a manual rack, but it seems odd for the bracket to be a different width with no other modifications. Maybe yours is a Euro variation for some reason.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #25 on: 02:55:51 AM / 11-Dec-16 »
well, we'll see how it tuns out.

Apart from these bushings that give me a headache I already have other pars that just wait here for me to fit them. I got the EE T/C kit, new gearbox mount and a new clutch slave cylinder. I also plan to get new rear rotors and pads, new sunroof weather stripping and the sunroof trim. The sunroof does not leak but makes all sorts of noises while I'm driving so I hope getting new weather stripping will help.
« Last Edit: 08:48:43 AM / 21-Feb-17 by CzechSilvia »

Offline ndd

• n00b
  • 84 hatch 5.0. 86 notch 2.0
« Reply #26 on: 08:43:25 AM / 18-Dec-16 »
Love reading your journey with the s12  Yes keep updating us ! There are many of us who absolutely love are s12's!!  I have owned mine since1994 and until I found clubs12 I thought I was only one who truly enjoys these cars!  So continue being resourceful and keep this machine running!!! Greetings from Allegan Mi

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #27 on: 10:37:58 AM / 18-Dec-16 »
thanks ndd! There's still so much stuff that needs fixing so there will definitely be more updates after the winter.

Offline turbo-s12

« Reply #28 on: 05:54:02 PM / 26-Dec-16 »
My car had the 21mm bracket as well and I wasn't able to find a 25mm. So I've just been rocking it with the 21mm and it hasn't moved yet.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #29 on: 05:36:40 AM / 27-Dec-16 »
I have had the luck to meet some s12 guys who also own parts cars so with a little bit of luck I might be able to source the wider bracket. But it's good to know that it can also be done without it

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #30 on: 10:23:18 AM / 14-Feb-17 »
The weather is very slowly getting into the spring mode and the temperatures are getting more in favour to some outside work. It was around 5°C during the day, that's 41°F for the people using the weird units, so I could finally proceed with the build a little bit!

I started with the rear brakes. Protip: to fit new pads, you can't just push the caliper piston in, you have to twist the piston clockwise to get it far enough inside the caliper. I bought that sci-fi looking cubic tool for that but none of the patterns on the cube sides fit my caliper piston so I ended up using a pair of circlip pliers and it went surprisingly easy.

« Last Edit: 01:21:52 PM / 27-Mar-17 by CzechSilvia »

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #31 on: 08:48:23 AM / 21-Feb-17 »
I had some free time today so I replaced the gearbox mount for a new one. The old one looked a little bit tired.

And by the way, the quality of the pictures I take is now much better because I started borrowing wife's Canon.
« Last Edit: 01:20:08 PM / 27-Mar-17 by CzechSilvia »

Offline iceageg

« Reply #32 on: 07:04:18 AM / 22-Feb-17 »
+1 for borrowing the wife's camera.  I am beginning to understand where all that money went and why.  Did the new mount noticeably reduce vibration when driving?
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #33 on: 09:28:02 AM / 22-Feb-17 »
What did you end up doing about that steering rack bracket?

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #34 on: 03:42:04 PM / 22-Feb-17 »
+1 for borrowing the wife's camera.  I am beginning to understand where all that money went and why.  Did the new mount noticeably reduce vibration when driving?

yes, it did! With the shot gearbox mount the vibrations appeared when driving 80kmh or faster. Now, there aren't any vibrations until I reach 120kmh but that probably has a different cause, my guess is that's caused by an unbalanced wheel, hopefully that will fix itself when I fit new tires and get the wheels balanced.

What did you end up doing about that steering rack bracket?

Nothing yet, the solid mounts still wait for me to install them, I still run the OEM rubber bushings. BUT I may have finally sourced the wider bracket, I'll know know for sure in a week or two.

Also, I fitted the Experimental Engineering T/C kit today, snapped some rusty bolts in the process and found out something that doesn't make much sense to me. Someone fitted five washers behind the rear T/C bushing on both of the T/C rods. Also, those rear bushings were fitted backwards. I was afraid that throwing away the extra washers would mess up the geometry but the car seems to handle fine, I'm not sure that I can tell the difference between the EE bushings and the oem ones but the upgrade certainly didn't hurt anything. The only issue is, that now there's a sound coming from the front left corner while braking, it's probably from the new delrin bushing but it's not loud and doesn't sound life-threatening.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #35 on: 06:00:10 AM / 08-Mar-17 »
I finally installed the EE solid steering rack mounts today. I followed the supplied instructions and it was pretty straight forward job. Now I'm waiting for the silicone sealant to cure before I can do a test drive.

Alright, what I did about the thin driver's side bracket:
As I mentioned earlier, I contacted the guy with a parts car and he said he has one. When I met up with him, it turned out that the bracket he had is also the thinner one but I ended up buying it of him anyway along with a pair of spare headlights and the front grille, not that I need them but why not... Well, having an extra bracket meant that I could experiment with that bracket without the danger of destroying the bracket I had on the car. Theories were many and varied but the solution I finally decided for was to lay weld beads on both sides of the bracket and file them to fit the bushing. To ensure that you'll end up with the same amount of material on both sides, it's better to first completely finish one side and then do the other one. I had my friend do it for me because I don't have a welding machine (...yet) and he did a really good job! Here's some pics of the modified bracket:

And here's the already painted modified bracket next to the original one:

After I had good look at how's the steering rack designed I must say I don't think it's the best idea to just run the solid mounts with the thinner driver's side bracket like some of you guys do because the passenger's side mount is not designed to limit the lateral movement, it does limit it to some degree by friction caused by the clamping pressure between the bracket and the crossmember but that's it. Unlike the driver's side, the passenger's side bushing doesn't have any groove in the steering rack to sit in, it can theoretically just slide left and right on the steering rack.

I don't think it's really dangerous to run the thinner bracket but it's possible that the steering rack will move left and right the 4mm that the thinner bracket is lacking in width.

Also, while I was under the car I found and removed the source of a exhaust rattle that had annoyed me for quite some time, it was the catalytic converter heat shield which was badly rusted. It was in such a bad shape I couldn't figure out how to save it so I just removed it completely.

« Last Edit: 01:09:51 AM / 09-Mar-17 by CzechSilvia »

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #36 on: 04:07:44 AM / 16-May-17 »
Another task is checked off the list, the electric fan conversion is done!

I used two of these, which is a fan from second gen Kia Shuma (or Sephia,or Spectra, or whatever...) :

These were literaly the cheapest electric fans they had on the scrapyard. When I cut some stuff off the top and bottom of the fan shrouds and turned them 90°C, they fit quite nicely next to each other over the S12 radiator core. It's not a perfect fit, they don't cover about 5mm of the top part of the radiator core and they go over the radiator sides about 5mm on each side. To prevent the fans from sucking air around the sides of the radiator, I glued stripes of plastic in the inside of the fan shroud to cover that 5mm gap. I used the plastic stripes I previously cut from the fan shrouds. For the temp switch I used a dual temp switch from Skoda Fabia (part nuber 1J0959481A)

Here's how it looks like:

And here's where I accomodated the relays and the fuse box:

The first fan kicks in at 97°C and stops at 87°C and the second fan kicks in at 102°C and stops at 97°C. I live in a mild climate so I bet only single one of these would be sufficient to cool the engine, they are pretty strong, I don't know exactly how much current they pull because my multimeter is only up to 10A and I didn't want to fry it but they used 30A fuse with this fan in the Kia. The second fan is there only if the first one failed or if the engine for some reason really was about to overheat, it also has a loud bearing so I'll definitely hear if the second one kicks in for some reason. So far I've only tested the setup on idle but it seems to be doing great, the first fan kicked in when it should and cooled the coolant to the bottom border 87°C in less than 30 seconds.

Not all the credit goes to me, I had a friend help me with the wiring and another friend who fabricated the piece for the temp switch to go in, he made it out of steel and I made the pipe lip with jb weld and then painted it:

NEXT UP is a mod that I'll probably hate myself for but I want to try it out really bad because it's a new after-market part for the ca18et and that's pretty rare.

I have a feeling my engine mounts are going bad so I was searching what can be done about it and found, what I believe is, the only bolt-on replacment on the market:

These are polyurethane engine mounts for the ca18et produced in the neighbouring Poland by company Silver Project, I contacted them about the stiffness of the polyurethane because they don't advertise it anywhere and they told me they are 63 duro which, to me, seems pretty soft for poly mounts so since I couldn't find any reviews of these mounts, I decided to try them and find out if they are useable on the street. They are supposed to be bolt-on so I can always go back to stock mounts if the vibrations are bad.
« Last Edit: 11:51:43 AM / 08-Nov-17 by CzechSilvia »

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #37 on: 03:44:03 PM / 16-May-17 »
I've enjoyed following your work over the last 18 months or so. Always a solid job.

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #38 on: 08:11:06 PM / 16-May-17 »
Yes, ALWAYS great to hear of other nut cases out there like me. I admire the determination of the few still enjoying keeping these cars on the road. I am getting more and more questions about my S-12's all the time.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #39 on: 08:59:48 AM / 20-May-17 »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I got the Silver Project engine mounts installed and tested. They are not exactly direct fit, I had to modify them just slightly to get them fit. There are two threaded holes in the engine-side of the mounts but only one of them should be threaded so I ran through one of those on each mount with a 10mm drill bit, other than that, they fit pretty well and the engine sits in the same height.

The engine mounts perform as advertised, the engine is not going anywhere and the shifting is super precise even in higher rev range. As for the vibrations, I don't mind the extra vibrations that go through the steering wheel, the seats or the pedals, it's actually nice to feel the engine like that, but oh god, the soundtrack! The spectrum of sounds that the interior learned to produce is surprisingly wast. The dash rattles, the sunroof rattles, the door rattles... and it changes depending on the revs, it's like avangard symphony, unbearable.

Upon closer inspection, the original engine mounts are in pretty good shape. I thought they were shot because of how soft they were but I guess that's just how they are. They'll definitely go back in soon.