Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The story of my Silvia in my tiny little garage  (Read 5265 times)

Offline kelso840

Re: The story of my Silvia in my tiny little garage
« Reply #60 on: 08:21:58 AM / 09-Mar-18 »
I'm definitely interested in your progress as well. You're one of the last active build threads we get to enjoy here!

Also, A+ for trying things like Moog K700526 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit and verifying compatibility. I'll add that to a list of potential upgrades.

Have you looked into remote adjustment cables like these so you don't have to tear the rear apart? Wish I had something like that for my Tokicos.
https://bcracingcoilovers.com/products/bc-racing-coilovers-rear-dampening-adjustment-extenders-br-type
Infrequently driving an s12.

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #61 on: 02:37:25 PM / 09-Mar-18 »
thanks guys, yeah, I plan to try these extenders but I'll still have to drill a hole next to the speaker for that extender to go through.  Well, I better get used to butchering interior panels because I also plan to have an a-pillar gauge pod and I don't think I'll be able to have that without drilling in the a-pillar trim piece
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #62 on: 08:17:45 AM / 09-Apr-18 »
Look what I just got, this will be a lot of fun! I even have a spare block, head and intake manifold.

That's how I got it home. Wife's Mazda is surprisingly roomy.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #63 on: 11:00:36 AM / 09-Apr-18 »
lol your tiny garage is filling up fast!

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #64 on: 11:35:18 AM / 13-May-18 »
Ever since I bought the car, I've been having problems with the fuel system so I've decided to replace/upgrade the major components, make it bulletproof and thus prepare it for the engine swap.

I have dropped the fuel tank and I'll have the inside derusted, coated with something to prevent future rust and when that's done I'll put a Deatschwerks fuel pump in there. The engine bay side of the fuel system is done, I have cut off the stock fpr, installed one from Nismo and a Tomei fuel pressure gauge.

Offline Redneck

« Reply #65 on: 09:05:43 PM / 16-May-18 »
Wow great progress on your build so far. Keep it up! I'd like to upgrade to the BC coils as well down the road one day. Being the s12 is just my daily driver though I hate to give up the cushy stock suspension. Or maybe I'm just getting old and turning into a wimp lol.

Love the ca18det upgrade. Obviously its not nearly as common as the sr20 swap but is a timeless classic nonetheless. Really underrated power plant if your not looking for crazy horsepower numbers. Only major drawback it seems to have is aftermarket support being a lot more limited compared to the sr20 but that is to be expected and not a deal breaker by any means.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #66 on: 02:58:53 PM / 18-May-18 »
Wow great progress on your build so far. Keep it up! I'd like to upgrade to the BC coils as well down the road one day. Being the s12 is just my daily driver though I hate to give up the cushy stock suspension. Or maybe I'm just getting old and turning into a wimp lol.

Love the ca18det upgrade. Obviously its not nearly as common as the sr20 swap but is a timeless classic nonetheless. Really underrated power plant if your not looking for crazy horsepower numbers. Only major drawback it seems to have is aftermarket support being a lot more limited compared to the sr20 but that is to be expected and not a deal breaker by any means.

Thanks, there's more to come! The stock soft and tired suspension was what was bothering me the most when I was driving it, now I'm finally happy with how the suspension feels. The swap is a longer-term project, rebuilding the CA18DET and the modifications I'm planning to do to it will be expensive and there's nothing wrong with the engine that's in the car now so I can drive the car as is until I save up the money I need.

I didn't even consider the SR although I know a guy who has one in his s12. In my opinion the 16valve CA is at home in the s12, it's the engine the car was supposed to have from the factory, that and the turbo FJ. Funny thing is I wasn't originally planning on swapping the engine because of how expensive it is and it's also generally very sketchy legally because they check the engine with what's in your papers at tech inspection but I saw the ca18det for sale for cheap and just couldn't resist. I think I'll be fine as far as law or tech inspection is concerned, my papers state that the car has an "CA18" engine which will still be technically true after the swap.

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #67 on: 03:29:03 PM / 14-Jun-18 »
I had a whole day free so I spent most of it in the garage and made some progress. This is what my fuel pump setup will be when I finally have the refurbished fuel tank back in the car. I have three or four old s12 sending units lying on a shelf but I bought a brand new sending unit assembly for 35 USD, that made more sense than trying to repair one of the old rusty ones. It's a bit different than the old units I have, the connectors were different so I switched them with one from the spare ones and the float was a bit higher so I bent the wire that holds it so it measures the same as the old unit. The pump is Deatschwerks DW100.

Another thing I got done today was fitting the extenders for the coilover adjustment knobs. I had to butcher the rear speaker brackets for them to fit and obviously drill holes in the interior panels but it turned out ok, I'm very happy with the result.

« Last Edit: 03:32:17 PM / 14-Jun-18 by CzechSilvia »

Offline babybrother3294

• n00b
« Reply #68 on: 06:20:36 PM / 29-Jun-18 »
I also want to put a ca18det in my car in the future. its the "pure" option imo. at least in the US where we didnt get the fj. i like what youre doing with the car. so satisfying to watch it progress and get cleaann.

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #69 on: 01:23:24 PM / 28-Jul-18 »
Got the fuel tank sandblasted inside out, painted and the inside coated with epoxy to prevent future rust.

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #70 on: 07:03:26 AM / 16-Sep-18 »
The plan for today was to get the differential off the car, disassemble it and properly measure it to make sure that the Quaife ATB, I plan to buy, will fit because I'm not completely sure what differential I have. Well, that was the plan but after getting to the garage and jacking up the car, the hungover me couldn't muster any more strength to undo a single bolt. As I was laying under the car staring at the drivetrain I devised a different plan, I'll ask you guys, trust you and my luck, and then I'll buy the Quaife without comparing the old diff with the Quaife spec sheet. Well then guys, is that an R200 differential?

Sadly, I didn't do much work on the car, apart from fitting this sick Gatorade sweatband on the brake fluid reservoir but I did do quite a lot of driving and I must say the car handles incredible, the suspension work I did on it really paid off and the engine runs sweet and strong as well!

However, I didn't just goof around, I've been negotiating deals on some really cool parts for the old s12, there's a lot more to come!
« Last Edit: 07:04:38 AM / 16-Sep-18 by CzechSilvia »

Online CzechSilvia

« Reply #71 on: 11:24:52 PM / 18-Sep-18 »
I asked around and now I'm pretty sure it's r200 which is good news
« Last Edit: 11:25:18 PM / 18-Sep-18 by CzechSilvia »

Offline weitrhino

• Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
  • '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #72 on: 06:39:12 PM / 19-Sep-18 »
I saw your Facebook posts and had always believed only the R200 had cooling fins.