Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

when i turn my hazards on the lights short out and neither the hazards lights nor the turn singals work what can be my problem.???

my turn signal switch works fine
1 (100%)
is it an open circuit.?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: hazards short out causing turn signal to go out..  (Read 900 times)

Offline Ghetto_Sloth

hazards short out causing turn signal to go out..
« on: 05:03:23 PM / 18-Jan-17 »
any help will be appriciated
Post Merge
when i turn on my hazards it shorts out my turn signals, signals work fine until the hazards get flipped on
« Last Edit: 05:05:14 PM / 18-Jan-17 by Ghetto_Sloth »

Facebook Share    

Offline my12

Re: hazards short out causing turn signal to go out..
« Reply #1 on: 05:20:26 PM / 18-Jan-17 »
Might want to check the tabs in your combo switch and make sure they are not making contact at the same time.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #2 on: 06:36:56 PM / 18-Jan-17 »
Shorts out - blows a fuse? Please be more specific in your description. BTW welcome to the club. Tell us about your S12!

Offline Ghetto_Sloth

« Reply #3 on: 01:01:26 PM / 19-Jan-17 »
my fuses arent blown but im not sure about my relays my s12 was wrecked from the front passenger side so my relay box was destroyed so im not so sure which relays are which i was told it might be a relay,
Post Merge
do i have to take apart the combo switch.?
Post Merge
rednucleus- well when i turn on my turn signals they work fine once i flip the hazards on they turn off and i either have to wait  while or jiggle the wires to turn the signals on but as long as my hazards are on my turn signals wont work
« Last Edit: 01:45:44 PM / 19-Jan-17 by Ghetto_Sloth »

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #4 on: 10:51:10 PM / 19-Jan-17 »
Oh, now I get it! Your "hazards" are what I call parking lights! I was thinking hazard 4 way flashers when I first read this.  Check out other threads here on cleaning the switch for starters

Offline my12

« Reply #5 on: 02:23:38 PM / 20-Jan-17 »
No see, that is exactly what happened to mine. You would have to remove your combo switch and clean the contacts. When I took mine apart I found 2 tabs making contact at the same time and that arched and melted some of the plastic to where if i tried to turn the hazards on the lights won't come on. There is a video on youtube on a how to.

Offline Ghetto_Sloth

« Reply #6 on: 03:16:48 PM / 20-Jan-17 »
my12- would i have to take off the steering wheel if so how do i get it off.? i tried to pull the cover off to reach the horn but i dont want to break anything and have to buy more parts.

Offline my12

« Reply #7 on: 05:16:06 PM / 20-Jan-17 »
No the steering wheel does not come off, the column covers do, there are some screws under the covers. After you have removed the covers, some wires and the combo switch will be exposed. Watch this videos a couple of times and be careful and have some patience and have fun fixing your vehicle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLBS2BGXRmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEEoXPsfz_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_rlPpCf2R4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF4CyBfEU3M
« Last Edit: 05:17:23 PM / 20-Jan-17 by my12 »

Offline Ghetto_Sloth

« Reply #8 on: 12:17:03 AM / 21-Jan-17 »
thanks a lot ill try it out and let you know how it goes hopefully thats all i need to do to make it work

Offline Ghetto_Sloth

« Reply #9 on: 12:47:12 PM / 23-Jan-17 »
i tried to clean all the contacts but it didn't work, my hazards still wont come on