Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where did our Silvia take us this time?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline CzechSilvia

Where did our Silvia take us this time?
« on: 03:06:22 AM / 06-Mar-17 »
It seems that the main purpose of the S12 I've been working on will be to take me and my wife on trips. I thought about starting this thread to share pics and some facts about the places we visit and since most of you guys are from the other side of the world, some of you might find the places interesting. This thread will be mostly off topic so if you think it should not be here, just say the word and I'll take it down. The trips will mostly be to the different parts of the Czech Republic which consists of 3 regions: Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia. Also I'll be using Czech diacritic here so let me know if you have troubles viewing the czech-specific letters.

The first trip me and my wife took in the Silvia was to Křivoklát castle. It is located in the Central Bohemia Region about 60km west of Prague.

There had been fortified settlement on the what is now Křivoklát since the bronze age but the castle itself was built by the king of Bohemia Přemysl Otakar II in the 13th century. The Castle belonged to the kings of Bohemia for most of it's life and was damaged and in some cases almost completely destroyed by fire several times. It's role changed throughout the centuries, it was used as defensive fortress, royal hunting lodge and later also as a prison. It has been rebuilt several times and it received its current appearance in 1826.

We got up pretty early and the sun was just still pretty low when we were leaving Prague.

Silvia with a random rock in the background. The car ran great and the roads were twisty and fun, I haven't had this much fun while driving in ages!

Stumbled upon a horse pasture on our way there.

"CASTLE" getting closer

And there it is! Křivoklát.

We climbed a nearby hill to get a better look at the castle.

Unfortunately, it was Sunday and all the exhibitions were closed but the inside courtyard was open.

It was pretty windy up on the ramparts.

And we got to meet this sorry little Ricer Honda on our way back.

Let me know if you're interested in more posts like this. I sure as hell am interested in the trips you do in your s12, feel free to post about them here!
« Last Edit: 03:17:31 AM / 06-Mar-17 by CzechSilvia »

Facebook Share    

But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Online kelso840

Re: Where did our Silvia take us this time?
« Reply #1 on: 07:07:12 AM / 06-Mar-17 »
I dig it. Wish my country was old enough for castles.
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline deucekazoo

« Reply #2 on: 07:44:23 AM / 06-Mar-17 »
I like it. The more pictures the better.

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #3 on: 03:47:58 PM / 06-Mar-17 »
Love the centuries old stuff! Keep up the pics and enjoy your road trips.

Offline weitrhino

• '85 Notch just cracked 40k miles! RIP '86 Notch
    • Blue Mouth Promotions LLC
« Reply #4 on: 04:59:27 PM / 06-Mar-17 »
Eminently cool stuff. Keep it coming!

Online SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • Vehicle: 1991 Nissan S13
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #5 on: 12:26:10 PM / 07-Mar-17 »
Remind me to pester you for a really good picture of that 1.8 Turbo decal some time. I need it for reasons.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.
zololn: wheres the check engine light on the s12?

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #6 on: 12:38:57 PM / 07-Mar-17 »
Remind me to pester you for a really good picture of that 1.8 Turbo decal some time. I need it for reasons.

I'll ask my wife to redraw the decal in a vector format so that it can be printed. She can do that, she's cool.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #7 on: 03:39:17 PM / 26-Mar-17 »
It's adventure time!

Today we went to see Kokořín castle and we visited some other interesting spots along the way. All the places we visited are located in the northern part of central Bohemia. The bedrock in this area is mostly sandstone so the nature there is quite interesting. And the hairpins were fun!

Our first stop were the Devil's Heads near the village Želízy. It's a sculpture by Václav Levý chiseled in a rock above the village.

The Devil's Heads. Václav Levý chiseled them in the sandstone between the years 1841-1846. Why? I don't know, probably because they look cool.

Next, we drove to the Kokořín castle. It was built in 1320 by a Bohemian knight Hynek Berka of Dubé. It was conquered and heavily damaged after a siege during the Hussite Wars in 1426 . It was left in ruins and abandoned for quite some time after that. Then a lot of history happened, Bohemia kingdom was conquered by the Austrians and Czech people lost their freedom for about 300 years, this period is called the Dark Age here. Anyway, it didn't help the castle much that during this time Ferdinand II of house Habsburg added Kokořín to the cursed castles list which included castles and fortresses that were forbidden to be maintained or repaired because their strategic placement could be threat to the occupying Habsburg monarchy. In 1894 the castle was finally repaired and it gained its current appearance in 1916.

As always, the castle is on a hill.

Unfortunately, it's still off season for castle visits so the gate is closed and we couldn't get inside. From the look of it, there originally used to be a drawbridge but it was replaced by this lame footbridge.

We wandered in the woods around the area to get better view of the castle and my wife took some nice pics of the nature around there.

And there it is. It's pretty hard to get a good photo of the castle, it's either too close to fit in the picture or hidden behind trees.

On our way back we visited a "stone castle" Nedamy. These are artificial caves dug in the sandstone not far from Kokořín castle. It is believed that they were dug in prehistoric times but it is certain that  the caves were used as a hideout for protestants during the Thirty Years' War.

Remains of steps carved in the rock.

The steps are deformed from hundreds of years of use.

See...

awesome trip.
« Last Edit: 03:50:32 PM / 26-Mar-17 by CzechSilvia »

Offline rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: 04:38:06 PM / 26-Mar-17 »
Uh oh, pics are not working for me
Never mind, now I see them
« Last Edit: 04:38:56 PM / 26-Mar-17 by rednucleus »

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #9 on: 07:27:32 PM / 26-Mar-17 »
So fascinating to hear of the history and see structures of the kind we simply don't have in the US.

Offline iceageg

« Reply #10 on: 09:08:49 AM / 27-Mar-17 »
I'll ask my wife to redraw the decal in a vector format so that it can be printed. She can do that, she's cool.

I can also reproduce any of these graphics in vector format for future reference.  I just need a clean picture taken strait on (not at an angle) with a ruler or tape measurer included to accurately reference the size.
I was afraid all the five gallon buckets of pain stacked four high were going to fall over

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #11 on: 02:08:06 PM / 05-May-18 »
This time we took the s12 to a small car meet at a restaurant car park just 30 minutes from our home. There were some cars that I thought would be interesting for you guys that live in the U.S.

And who says the Silvia is not a family car? Even the stroller fits nicely in the boot of the s12.

The pics from the meet:

« Last Edit: 02:17:46 PM / 05-May-18 by CzechSilvia »

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #12 on: 01:17:39 PM / 06-May-18 »
That's a lot of pics. Unfortunately none of them show up for me.

Offline CzechSilvia

« Reply #13 on: 01:34:55 PM / 06-May-18 »
That's a lot of pics. Unfortunately none of them show up for me.
That's weird, do pictures in my other posts show up? I have just checked on a different computer and they show up in Chrome and in MS Edge, maybe Dropbox was down for a while....

Online SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #14 on: 02:33:00 PM / 06-May-18 »
You have to be signed into dropbox on the browser you're using in order to view images hosted on dropbox. I recommend switching to imgur for hosting.
Nah, quoted for future use because not only is it lame and old, but it's a direct link to Schizo posting up homoerotic menswear fanfiction.

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #15 on: 03:01:13 PM / 06-May-18 »
None of the pics in this thread work now, although they used to show. I've followed this thread from the beginning and I'm currently signed into my dropbox account in my current browser although that had never been an issue before now.

Online SchizophrenicMC

• Resident Resident
  • Moderators
  • I Like Gay Girls
« Reply #16 on: 06:04:20 PM / 06-May-18 »
Weird. I still say imgur is a better solution.

Offline weitrhino

« Reply #17 on: 02:10:38 PM / 07-May-18 »
Mac OS 10.12.6 via Safari 11.1.......no pics in this thread. iOS 11.3.1......no pics that way, either.

Chrome works.
« Last Edit: 02:12:38 PM / 07-May-18 by weitrhino »

Offline Redneck

« Reply #18 on: 07:47:21 PM / 16-May-18 »
I'm a little late to the party but nice thread czech. Pictures are displaying fine for me and I don't have a dropbox account. It's weird noticing small differences in euro model stuff sometimes. I'm not an sw20 expert by any means, just know the basics about them, but I instantly noticed the front bumper seemed to look a little different from the american models. Sure enough here is a stock usdm model front end for comparison.

And euro.

Not a huge difference but the relocated side marker light and front light going orange/clear/orange on the euro model really makes the front end look a lot sleeker in my opinion. Same thing with your tail lights. Love the Mk1 s12 euro tail lights. They just look soooo much sleeker then the Mk1 s12 american tail lights. The usdm Mk1 "6 pack" tail lights aren't necessarily ugly but I don't really find them sleek or sexy either.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread topic, just seems like a fair amount of the euro model stuff has small differences compared to the usdm cars that make them look more streamlined and sleeker. And as an american getting the often slightly uglier usdm stuff... I'm jealous haha.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....