CA18ET tuning

Started by almillan, 03:59:49 AM / 20-Jul-17

Previous topic - Next topic

almillan

Hello, I would like to know if there is any way to improve the origin engine, in a simple and without many complications. Or do you recommend something to me? :embarrassed2:

Cajun1guy

I used this forum to improve mine quite a bit. I removed the original T2 turbo and installed a T25, direct bolt -on fit. I had the engine out of the car so I installed an ARP head stud setup, there is no kit for this particular engine, so it was piece by piece. If you upgrade the turbo, you need this along with a metal head gasket. I replaced the OEM fuel pump with a Walbro 195 pump. A new S-13 type downpipe and new exhaust system all the way back. I installed an intercooler under the front bumper and it runs great! Much improved performance.
Most of the folks on here will tell you the engine sucks, replace it. I like to tinker, so I am happy with my results, you can decide what you want. The great thing is that multiple engine setups are available to drop into these cars.

CzechSilvia

Do you really need the metal head gasket and the head studs with the t25?
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

rednucleus

Ted, tell him how many trouble free miles you have with your set up to date

Redneck

No, a metal head gasket and stronger head studs are not technically required to upgrade to the t25. I think cajan is more accurately saying "strongly recommended you upgrade to a metal head gasket and stronger head studs" which is hard to disagree with from a reliability standpoint. Even moderately upping power on a now 30 year old non intercooled ca18et is kinda like playing with fire.
Quote from: ka-tgazelle on 11:24:56 PM / 01-Jun-11 FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

CzechSilvia

There's no argument about the advantages of the metal head gasket and arp head studs, they rule. But I was thinking that from the factory the ca18det, which the t25 is from, comes with a head gasket not so different from the ca18et one and it works fine for the 16valve, so why would our 8valve head gasket turn unreliable with the t25? -given that you add an intercooler and don't run over the t25 stock boost pressure of 10psi.

I'm also planning to upgrade the turbo and adding an ic setup eventually but I didn't think I would need the metal head gasket and arp head studs to run the t25 reliably, that stuff's pricey!
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Cajun1guy

I had two head gaskets eventually go out on me, both the OEM and a Felpro replacement. That was with the weaker T2, when I chose to upgrade I read a lot on here about the ways to do it and went as conservatively as I could. The engine is way beyond 300k miles, not bored out or turned crank. I have not been DD it for about a year as I DD my SE instead. I want to replace the head gasket as it was an older style without the inlaid seal, so I have always had some oil leakage at the head/block juncture.
I try to limit my boost to 12 psi, though I have seen it at 15 psi when I was trying to get on the interstate in front of a semi. It does get with it real well for 1.8 liters!

Thomas604s12

From what i've read on here the t25g is a much better choice then the t25?

yet to try either though so what do I know  :laugh:

Cajun1guy

Yes, there are numerous better turbos available. I got a smoking deal on mine so I took it. My car is fast enough for an old man, I don't drift or even spin the tires, but I do like to stay ahead of traffic while merging. Got scared enough times with the OEM T2 and it's anemic output.